The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 15, 2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Need holster for tricked out 1911 (duty)

Well guys and gals, my dept. has finally relented and is allowing us to carry other than dept. issue (Glock 17's), so I'm going back to my good ol' .45. Problem: My trusty Smith 645 suddenly went on the blink (extractor problem out of the blue), leaving me with my Chas Daly EMS (Commander). Qualificaton is tomorrow, so waiting till I get the 645 fixed is out. The CD works fine, but I'm having a bear of a time finding a plain black leather duty holster for it. The problem seems to lie with the ambidextrous safety, that won't fit most 1911 holsters, and I'm not real keen on kicking out big $$$ for a custom made holster (cop's salary, ya know.) Any ideas?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 15, 2005, 11:59 PM   #2
simonBarsinister

You might try here... list of makers
Old May 16, 2005, 12:00 AM   #3
simonBarsinister

here is more
Old May 16, 2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Eric Larsen

Question, What level of retention do you need/dept. require? Just a thought.
Shoot well............

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old May 17, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Patrick, thanks for the info and for looking all that up! Of course, by the time I go through all of those, I'll be long since retired.

Erik, our line officers are issued a Safariland high retention holster. Not sure of the model, but the strap has a spring loaded "trigger" you push down and rotate forward off of the weapon. It's a very good compromise between security and speed. But I don't really need that level of security since I moved my office from a cruiser to a real office. If they have to call me out on a scene, it's usually something hefty like a hostage/barricade situation or a homicide. I'm old school and like the old "border patrol" holsters with a thumb break. I also like holsters that ride a little lower than most today since I have long arms Any ideas?

The range session went well; The Charles Daly performed flawlessly and nobody got shot , but they wouldn't let us shoot the M-16's full auto. Dept. said they couldn't afford the ammo.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 17, 2005, 02:59 PM   #6
USP45usp

Capt Charlie

Quote:
but they wouldn't let us shoot the M-16's full auto. Dept. said they couldn't afford the ammo.
See if they will let you bring your own .

As for holsters, I don't know, I just wanted to comment on the M-16's.

Wayne
Old May 17, 2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wayne! Hell, they'll let you shoot a 20mm gatling gun, or use a Dodge Viper as a cruiser.... as long as you buy it. Otherwise they ration paper clips.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 17, 2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Bullrock

Capt Charlie

For the same price you will pay for a Galco, you can purchase a real custom made from Black Hills Leather.

My 7th Black Hills Holster is on its way for my new SP101. Check it out at http://www.blackhillsleather.com.

Like the old Booger King commercial, they will make it your way...
Old May 17, 2005, 09:49 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Bullrock! I'll look into that.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 21, 2005, 03:18 PM   #10
Eric Larsen

Well for the same price as Galco or other higher end machine made holsters Im sure I can help you out. Just an option.....I never push my stuff...ever.
If you want something lowride thats easily done........give me a yell if I can help you out........email or phone.
Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old May 21, 2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Eric, you have mail.

--Capt. Charlie