The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 6, 2000, 06:01 AM   #1
CrowShooter

Am contemplating a purchase of a Cooper rifle and would like first hand experiences. Accuracy, etc., and would you buy another one.

Thanks.

CS
Old February 6, 2000, 03:01 PM   #2
DeBee

...buy another one...? A man should consider humself lucky if he has one of these fine rifles!

I debated at length whether to purchase one of the Custom Classic 36 .22 RFs or a Kimber Super America- both are very similar rifle designs... In the end, I went with the Kimber because the dealer had the exact model I wanted and knocked off some cash and threw in a soft case...

If you want to order something from Cooper, there is a 3 month wait (not too bad considering) last time I checked.

By all accounts, Cooper rifles are semi-custom grade, have near perfect form and function, and are stunningly accurate.

Cooper Arms
P.O. Box 114
Stevensville, MT 59870

Don't know if they have a website...
Old February 7, 2000, 12:01 AM   #3
bk40

I've had the privalege of owning 3 Cooper Arms rifles. One chambered in .17 CCM, .17 Mach IV and a .22 PPC. I can't say enough good things about these rifles. Gorgeous wood, excellent metal work, and oh yes, very accurate.
The .17 Mach IV will shoot 5 shot groups under 0.35" all day long. The .22 PPC will consistently group under 0.25"! The .17 CCM, as well as the .22 CCM, is a well intentioned cartridge, but the brass quality sucked... I sold that rifle. If you buy a Cooper, make sure you get the Jewell trigger option.

Two people you need to call:

• Todd Kindler - 330.897.0614, located in Baltic, OH - he has a lot of experience with Cooper (and other fine) rifles + invaluable reloading experience. Has his own reloading equip & supplies company, The Woodchuck Den, and a magazine, Small Caliber Digest.

• Tom Thomas, 570.222.3390, owns The Outdoorsman, located in Kingsley, PA. He is probably the main distributor for Cooper and Cascade Arms rifles. Great guy to deal with.

I purchased the 3 rifles mentioned above from Tom, + a new Kimber of Oregon .22 rifle. Great service!

Would I buy another? Absolutely!

------------------
BKs Pistol Pages
Old February 7, 2000, 12:33 AM   #4
Desertscout

I had a client last summer on a varmint hunt that brought a Cooper in .223. One of the most beautiful rifles that I have ever seen and extremely accurate.
Just couldn't get him to trade for and old 722 Remington.lol

------------------
DJ
[email protected]

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference -- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
--George Washington
Old February 7, 2000, 06:26 AM   #5
bk40

This is my Cooper model 21VE .17 Mach IV. Typical example of gorgeous wood you can expect.

------------------
BKs Pistol Pages