The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 3, 2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Conceal carry in the summer

For my weapon of choice I carry a medium frame 4 inch barrel revolver. Normally (I got my licence almost 2 months ago) I either wear a shoulder holster when wearing a windbreaker or jacket and a hip holster when wearing a blazer or suit in the winter time.

Now that we are approaching summer, I was wondering how I could carry in the summer when I won't be wearing a windbreaker or jacket. (I typically wear a suit once a week on Sunday) My options are as follows, 1) get a pocket gun, 2) use my inside waistband holster and pull my shirt over it, or 3) get a inside shirt holster. or 4) I can start wearing a casual light blazer on a regular basis and wear that in the summer using my hip holster

I'd rather not spend money on a new gun so I'm leaning away from option 1. Option two is kinda hard because the waist band holster is so uncomfortable and hard to get to under your shirt and plus I don't like to leave my shirt untucked...looks sloppy. I like option 3 and 4. But what are those holsters called that look like a long white sock that you hang over your shoulder and wrap your gun in inside your shirt? Where can I get those?

Any thoughts for you CHL users and instructors?
Doug
Old February 3, 2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Agent_Iron

I work outside all summer wearing just a T-shirt and shorts, I can not carry a normal size gun with any hope of comfort or concealability. Where I live I do not need to conceal, but fear I will make my customers nervous. Anyway I rectified the problem by buying a little Kel-tec .380 that disapears in my pocket. It is so light and convenient. If you do not want to buy a new gun you will likely sacrifice comfort, your normal dress, or will end up leaving the gun at home which is even worse. Maybe you could consider a Smart Carry. Guys reportedly carry large guns in them with comfort. They fit in your pants where the "important" stuff resides.

Good luck
Jay
Old February 3, 2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Rojoe67

Last summer I was able to conceal real good in an inside the pants waist band hip holster. It worked well and hid the small 9mm Taurus real good. I would tuck a t-shirt in and wear a light cotton cover shirt over the t-shirt to conceal the small amount of the pistol that would otherwise show. This summer I plan on giving a wheel gun from S&W a go. It is a Air Weight that should handle my needs also well.

I found the 4" pistols and revolvers just too big for my constant in and out of my vehicle. The weight began to get a little old after awhile too. I found when I carry the 4" CCW I would often pull the weapon out of the holster and secure it in my lockbox in the van......sorta defeats the purpose.

I hope you find a good carry and have the comfort to continue the carry.....

good luck......
Old February 4, 2005, 09:27 AM   #4
RWK

Milt Sparks IWB with a full-sized 1911A1.
Old February 4, 2005, 09:50 AM   #5
mvpel

I've been quite happy with my SmartCarry holster - it's the only one I use these days. It conceals my Glock 30 .45ACP and a spare 13-round magazine very discreetly with a tucked-in shirt.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old February 4, 2005, 09:56 AM   #6
TBT

I carried my Kimber UCII all last year IWB with no problems. My dress doesn't change with the seasons. Jeans and a T-shirt pretty much year round.
Old February 4, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7
CB3

Thunderwear

http://www.thunderwear.com/

or the copy:

http://www.smartcarry.com/

The biggest advantage to this mode of carry is that you do not have to worry about what you wear any time of the year. As long as you have pants on, you can carry concealed, even with no shirt.

I believe it is a lot better to have the fewest different methods and places of carry possible--namely, one. Changing holsters, guns, and the position of the weapon requires training and mental adaptation for each method, which can be deadly confusing in the worst situation.

A 4" barrel revolver is a little large for concealed carry, but with the medium or large size Thunderwear it should be fine if you are a fairly large person. Thunderwear has an extra pocket that you could carry speed strips in--and a knife and flashlight or pepper spray.

This really is a great carry method. As with any new system, it takes a little getting used to, but the advantages far outweight the disadvantages. It is deep cover, but accessible with either hand.

Slightly loose fitting, dark pleated pants conceal the gun the best, but anything that is not too tight works, including sweat pants and shorts.

I have carried small autos, 9MM and .40 S&W in mine for nine years. I tried almost everything else first--ankle, small of the back, strong side, weak side, shoulder holster. Everything else required too much adaptation in clothing or positioning of the gun.

PM me for more info if you are really interested, as I can go on and on about what I perceive to be the advantages of this method for CC. BTW, I was patted down by a SWAT member during an exercise, and had I been wearing my gun, he would not have found it. I let him know.

CB3
Old February 4, 2005, 05:56 PM   #8
tintcutter

I bought the P3AT kel tec to replacemy mustang pocketlite. I don't want to notice them when I wear shorts.
Old February 4, 2005, 07:08 PM   #9
Bullrock

Where I live summer doesn't last very long, but it does show up almost every year. I carry a Browning Pro-9 (4" barrel) in a hi-ride holster on the weak side, with no cant. The butt rests very nicely under and slightly in front of my arm. (4:30 to 5:00 position). It will print with a tight T shirt, so I wear a size larger or make sure my T shirts are a little bulky. Wearing shorts is not a problem because my hi-ride doesn't drop much below the belt line.

I also carry a USP C (3" barell) from time to time, in a high ride holster on the weak side, with no cant. The smaller pistol with the hi-ride works well with a suit or jacket.

I find this method of carry to be automobile friendly. I hardly notice it's there. I hope you will end up doing what is best for you. Experimenting will get you there.

Incidentally, I purchased my last two holsters custom made from Black Hills Leather. A little pricey, but they fit the gun and provide for easy re-holstering.

Best of Luck
Old February 5, 2005, 03:27 AM   #10
jlwatts3

You could try a tuckable IWB. Currently, I use a XD9 subcompact in a tucker texas heritage. The holster is great as a normal IWB and when I need to tuck, the holster disappears. Granted, it takes a while to get my shirt tucked around the gun and presentable. ~3-5 minutes.

It's one more option to consider, and in my experience is pretty effective. YMMV
Old February 5, 2005, 09:26 AM   #11
Steve499

A photographer's vest or fisherman's vest will conceal most anything without being too conspicuous.
Old February 5, 2005, 09:55 AM   #12
Dwight55

1) There are several different belly band type holsters made of material similar to a big piece of elastic. It is worn under your shirt, and those I have seen, look fairly presentable.

2) There are several different fanny pack options out there and from what I have observed, almost no one pays any attention to them. Just be sure to get one with a leather belt or at least a substantial buckle, . . . the little black nylon/plastic one just won't do it.

3) There is a camera case/holster I have seen, . . . zip open the top, . . . point and shoot: just like Kodak.

4) Milt Sparks and others make IWB holsters that allow you to tuck your shirt in around them, . . . I can't use one in Ohio, . . . but if I could, I would probably already own one.

The reason I mention all of the above, . . . just be creative. I have a friend who bought a tennis racket bag that slings over his shoulder (it was ten bucks at Wally World), . . . makes a wonderful camoflage for CCW when you are otherwise in tee shirt & shorts.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 6, 2005, 12:36 PM   #13
Timulator

I have narrowed my summer carry methods down to three:

1) Most often it is an IWB holster. I wear a tucked-in T-shirt or tank-top with a Hawaiian shirt open and untucked over it. The print of the Hawaiian shirt helps conceal any printing of the gun.

2) Thunderwear. When I need to make darn sure no one sees my gun. I sweat like crazy, so I don't like carrying there routinely. I highly recommend not carrying the same ammo for more than a month as the humid environment can't be good for its long-term reliability.

3) Front pocket. I have a Glock 27 that I sometimes carry in the front pocket with a small wallet placed over it.

If I could, I would carry in the IWB holster at all times. It is significantly quicker to access than the other methods. Watch the Hawaiian shirt in the wind though!

Last edited by Timulator; February 6, 2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old February 23, 2005, 07:14 PM   #14
markdido

Kel-Tec P-32 in a Don Hume front pocket holster.
Old February 24, 2005, 12:42 AM   #15
Jungle Work

Fantastic Plastic M-19 in a Galco Butt Pack. When you're wearing shorts, a T-shirt and sandals (my summer uniform) there's not much place to hide a pistol.

Jungle work
Old February 24, 2005, 12:56 AM   #16
froader

Never had a thunderwear. I have a tuckable IWB but it really isn't comfortable for me at all. I think my belt is heavy enough and everything, it's just the gun itself. And I think it prints pretty bad with even an untucked shirt.

A lot of people here don't like them, but since I've modified my Pager Pal (about 20 minutes with a razor and a black magic marker) to fit my 5" snubby a little bit better it works great and is comfortable. Couldn't fit a 4" full size in it, and my S&W 5906 doesn't fit very comfortably, but it's great for the snubby.

My current problem with it is that when I'm sitting the gun is well secured, but the barrel is pointing straight forward (same for thunderwear?). I know the chance of an AD is almost nonexistent, but then ... so is the chance of needing to use it. So I've actually taken to carrying it with the first chamber empty. I've just got to remember if I have to fire it I need to do a quick double squeeze and the second one will make it go "bang."

I'm going to start looking at some .380's / miniature 9mm's, but I've got to make sure I'm comfortable with the safeties on them.

BTW -- when out camping and hiking and etc. in the woods I also use a butt bag. Comfortable place to put my wallet and keys, and wearing one looks normal up in the mountains.

"Every man is king within the reach of his own sword."
Old February 25, 2005, 03:14 PM   #17
Para Bellum

a big T-Shirt

I don't have to conceal when I carry and I don't mind too much.
But I being of medium size (1,79m / 5"10.5) I can carry my Glock 19 (4" Barrel) concealed with just a T-Shirt out of my pants. I use the "sickinger yaqui" holster. I have bought half a dozen other but like this one the best:

Or wear a spaghetti-shirt and a loose shirt out of your pants over it, works like a windbreaker and isn't hot...
Old February 25, 2005, 11:55 PM   #18
chris in va

After using an IWB for a short time, it would seem to me that a small-of-back holser would work pretty well for summer, provided you wear a loose broken-pattern shirt. I'm not sure I'd want my 9mm pointing at my jewels all day long...
Old February 26, 2005, 12:07 AM   #19
Dave R

There are 3 things that work for me in the summer.

1. T-shirt with loose shirt over it. Usually a Hawaiian shirt or a gaucho shirt. IWB underneath. My favorite mode.

2. Un-tucked T-shirt or golf shirt. If the fashion police allow it, it'll work with IWB.

3. P-3AT in the pocket holster. When you can't carry a real gun.

Have never tried Thunderwear or Smartcarry, but looks like it would work.