The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 12, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Rayndeon

Great idea for charging target

I don't know if someone else has posted this video, but I just saw it and thought it was a great way to actively practice the Tueller Drill: man charges you from 7 yards away, reaching you in approx. 2 seconds. Most enactments of the Drill don't involve live rounds fired so I thought this was a slick way of using live rounds on a charging target.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:32 AM   #2
45Gunner

Cool.
NRA Life Member
Old January 13, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Dwight55

That was neat, . . . now if I can just figure out how to do this by myself

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Lee Lapin

The 'dead lawn mower' approach. That's one way to do it, but I can't think of any way to manage it with just the shooter on site and no help to pull the string.

You want to be extra careful with moving targets, of course. People sometimes get all excited and forgetful about things like muzzle control.

And it's a good way to learn to GOTX and shoot on the move, IF the shooter's level of experience, the range layout and the increased safety considerations involved will allow for that. This is pretty much a "don't try this at home" sort of thing for live fire IMHO (might be good with Airsoft), there needs to be someone handling this with a lot of experience ROing when this sort of thing takes place with live ammo. It's too easy for people to get careless and for bad things to happen.

And yeah, in fact I AM an old fuddyduddy. I hate to see people bleed who don't need to.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 13, 2010, 10:54 PM   #5
fastforty

Dang, that was nice. *Excellent* recoil management. 7 rounds COM in so little time. Many of the people that I have seen do this drill get slapped in the face with the cardboard before they can get a round off on it.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:57 AM   #6
stungunmike

Pretty fast, Thanks.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:59 AM   #7
StiveC2007

A friend of mines dad is a instructor and when he was doing LEO quals. he had some of the officers try this, man the stories I heard. One cop managed to put all his shots in the COM and was wicked quick at doing it, another actually dropped his pistol while drawing from his holster. But really controling the recoil is a big part. Right now with my experience with handguns I wouldnt be able to do this probably be the one to get smacked in the face with card board . But I give props to some one who can get all com shots