The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 24, 2015, 07:03 PM   #1
Orvisman73

Help Needed Winchester 1885

Hoping someone can help me...

I've found these forums helpful more than once, forgive me if this info is on a past thread but I could not find the info i am looking for. Thanks in advance

I just purchased a used Winchester m1885 .45-70 Traditional Sporter (Miroku). It looks like this model came out as a 2011 shot show special and was soon discontinued. It has a 28in ROUND barrel and "case colored" receiver. Over all I am super happy with the gun. The only issue is the matter of mounting a scope. I cannot find mounts ANYWHERE! They are all for the octogonal barrel. Is there a custom mount maker who can make these? Also, someone said i could use a weaver #11 on the receiver and a #55 on the barrel? Since the rear holes are on the receiver and the front holes are on the barrel there is also a height difference. I believe the #11 fits perfect on the receiver but the #55 im not sure about. ..any advice would be appreciated.
Old June 27, 2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Drm50

Weaver mounts

I don't have Weaver chart at hand but I'm sure they have mounts for your
rifle. I had one and it had Weaver mounts and rings on it when I bought it
used. You are in position I find myself in many times. In this age of more
choice because of computers it actually is the opposite. The computer tells
them not to buy that item because demand is low, so for classic type guns
accessories are hard to come by.
Old June 27, 2015, 04:43 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

My memories getting pretty bad, but I think a company named Talley makes mounts for this gun in either configuration. I seem to remember they were one piece mounts.

Here you go... http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/P...h-Wall%29.aspx

Last edited by NoSecondBest; June 27, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old July 2, 2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Clark

I have a Browning 1885 made in Japan that has a octagon barrel that really got in the way of mounting a scope. There were factory drill and tap holes in the barrel, but the forward pair were on a slope of tapered octagon.

As a result I took it hunting in 2013, but could not use it.
I fixed it in 2014 before I went hunting and got a mule buck and an antelope buck.

I put paper shims in to see what fit, measured them, and then milled an Aluminum tapered shim.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 2, 2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Clark

For convex surfaces I can customize concave surfaces with a boring bar ala Steve Acker in Homeshop Machinst. But for this 1.040" rear ring of a1903 Turk, yesterday, I just milled out the bottom of the scope base with a 1" end mill.

You can see i have modified a pair of V blocks for gripping Weaver mounts in the mill vise.

There are charts of already existing concave bottom scope bases.
The important numbers are typically
1) distance between holes
2) thickness
3) diameter of curve on the bottom

I am also interested in how deep the countersink is on the screw holes, when I do really custom stuff, like finding mounts for the Dumoulin Mausers.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551907

You can't hire me, but I may be able to help you find the charts.
OK, here you go
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?