The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 4, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1
DanThaMan

Fnp9, 40, 45???

I have my eye on the FNP. When I was at the shop the other day, I only got around to holding the FNP9 before I got distracted. However, I'm curious if the external dimensions of the grip/handle of the pistol of the FNP9 is much different from the FNP 40 and 45. I would like to get the largest comfortable caliber if possible, i.e. i'd prefer the 40 over the 9mm, and the 45 over the 40. However, i have a small to medium hand. An example of a gun which is uncomfortable in my hand is the Glock 21... even the Glock 17. So who here with the same God given hand problem knows if the FNP(9, 40, 45) sits well in thee hand? On a side note, a standard 1911 with single stack mag well designe fits beautifully in my hand, if that helps you imagine what size hand I have.
Old August 4, 2009, 11:47 PM   #2
jman841

Why not get a 1911?

But i believe the .45 cal is larger, however, the .40 and 9mm i think are similar dimensions IIRC.

What makes you want the larger caliber? Simply out of joy to shoot or for defensive reasons?

Personally, in the pistol calibers you mentioned, with todays ammunition technology, there are rounds produced in all of the calibers that are very effective at stopping a threat. With that said, 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot so you may have more practice time and experience with it and use it more effectively if the situation calls forth.

Just my .02 cents
Old August 5, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
rsxr22

the .45 is HUGE!!!! i have medium to large hands and it was just too big, i ended up going with a usp. But the .40 and 9mm are alot more ergonomic
Old August 5, 2009, 04:19 AM   #4
ReNtaPiG

I own a 9...the 40 is not much different at all...I LOVE 40's

Either way whether you get the FNP-9 or 40 you will like it.

IMHO if you mated a Glock with a SIG...the child would be the FNP
Old August 5, 2009, 09:24 AM   #5
N.H. Yankee

I have the FNP 40 and all I can say is WOW, when I first shot the gun ( first 5 shots) I tohught I had missed the target. I use a 4x4 white stick-on and 3/4 black tape for a border. All 5 hit the top black tape center and were almost all touching. This was offhand using CCI Blazer brass 180gr fmj.
Old August 6, 2009, 01:53 AM   #6
Mosin44az

I believe the FNP can be purchased with a cocked-and-locked safety option, so you can carry it like the 1911. This could help you deal with the fit issue, which I share.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:07 PM   #7
litework

Quote:
I believe the FNP can be purchased with a cocked-and-locked safety option, so you can carry it like the 1911.
I don't think there are other variations of the FNP. They can all be carried cocked and locked or DA/SA (safety engaged or disengaged).

The big FNP 45 is surprisingly agile and the grip is smaller than both the USP 45 and the Glock 21. I'm a big fan.

However, if the 1911 fits your hands beautifully, you know what you should buy.
Old August 7, 2009, 07:54 AM   #8
gwnorth

The FNP-45, at least, comes in a traditional DA/SA with decock lever, or the USG versions which combine a decock lever and safety.

Tags
fnp , grip , hand , small