The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2002, 12:15 AM   #1
Hexagram13

New Member Intro and a few questions

Hey guys,
I signed up here for the great forum you have on shotguns. I spent about 5 hours today looking through old posts and found alot of great info.

I am a 24 yo 2nd year med student. I shoot alot, but I am just getting into shotguns. I am a member of Ak47.net, falfiles, and AR15.com under the same user name.

My new intrest in SG sports has been spawned by my recent acquisition of a 1953 Round Knob A-5. I would like to get into clay target shooting informally, and wanted to make sure there wasn't something dreadfully wrong with using my Browning. The only other SG I have is a Browning BPS 10ga. Let me know if you have any opinions on my weapon of choice. Oh yeah the A-5 is full choke and all the numbers match. I am also concerned about running down the value.

My second question is shell choice. I read alot about the various promos, but my father is an FFL and I can get Win AA for 4.74 and Win Western for 3.75. My father is also a Dillon dealer, so I will eventually get a SL900. I want to know what you think would be the best bet for me to start off with. The Walmart Promos, the Win AA, or the Win Western. If there are any other shells I should consider let me know.
tony
Old December 5, 2002, 12:27 AM   #2
Preacherman

Hi, Hex! Welcome to TFL. I live just south of you. Hope that ice storm I saw on the news tonight hasn't frozen you out!

I think your A5 will do fine for shooting, but it will certainly take some wear and tear if you're going to shoot typical volumes through it (say, 500 rounds per month or so). I would suggest that if you want to preserve its historical value, it might be worth buying something else for "beater" use. On the other hand, there's nothing stopping you using it for the first few times you shoot, and trying out the guns used by other shooters. This will help you decide what gun fits you best, what action you prefer, etc.

For ammunition, a surprising amount is dependent on how a given round shoots through your gun. I've fired rounds from the same box, at the same range, through two different shotguns, with the same barrel length and choke, and got two very different patterns! I can only suggest buying a box of each of the different loads and trying it out for pattern efficiency in your shotgun. This will give you an idea of what's best for you.
Old December 5, 2002, 06:42 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard.You've a good,maybe great, shotgun there.

At this point, buy the cheapest ammo you can find, IF it's a light load. I recommend 1 oz, 2 3/4 dram loads of 7 1/2s or 8s. If these do not quite function your A-5, learn how to set up the friction rings for light loads. As you gain proficiency, you can pattern and determine just what loads your shotgun "Likes".

Full choke is used for trap and definitely not for skeet or SC. A recoil operated auto like the A-5 will pass on more kick that a gas auto, this can add up fast for a tyro and lead to bad shooting habits. I recommend a good pad, or if you do not want to alter your classic, a wearable pad like the PAST or Bob Allen will be a great help.

Extra A-5 bbls set up for choke tubes are neither scarce nor cheap. Still, a good investment. I'm no smith, but I believe some have to be fitted, not a drop in swap. Maybe DML or another smith can confirm this.

Leave the 10 gauge alone for now, 10 gauges and tyros are not a match made in Heaven.

HTH....
Old December 5, 2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Hexagram13

Thanks Preacherman and Dave.

A couple of more questions. Where should I go to get a wearable pad like the PAST or Bob Allen? Walmart or a dedicated gun shop?

Also, I read about the loose base wads on the promo shells, but I would like to know if the Win Western were considered reloadable.

I will use the Browning for now, but my shooting will probably consist of shooting beside an open thrower so I will have to get some different choke options eventually. Plus, if I want to preserve my A-5, it will give me an excuse to get a Whitewing or a 391.

Thanks again.
tony
Old December 5, 2002, 02:06 PM   #5
voilsb
Registration in progress

welcome to the firing line. this is just a "howdy," because i know almost nothing about shotgus. enjoy your visit, and i'm sure you'll learn tons here, just like at ar15.com and ak47
Old December 5, 2002, 05:19 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome,Hex.

I'd look for a PAST pad on the Net, try Gamaliel Shooting Supply,etc.

The Promos might be reloadable, but why bother? The Big Three shells, AA< Gold Medals, STS, are neither hard to find once fired nor expensive. 4 cents here each.

Or, buy a flat of AAs, STS etc, shoot them up. Reload them until the crimps won't hold, repeat.

Les Greevy recently ran a test, all three went over 15 reloads w/o degrading performance.

One thing about shotguns, we can always rationalize another.That's a big bennie!
Old December 6, 2002, 09:01 PM   #7
Mannlicher

Hex,

I would not worry about hurting the old Browning. I would have it checked by someone that knows the gun, and replace springs, or what ever else it needs. Shoot it often, they were designed for that purpose. The all steel receiver and quality milled parts will stand up to a life time of use. I know, I have a lot of them, and have not managed to wear one out yet.

I prefer the A-5 to any other shotgun.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 6, 2002, 10:19 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Quote:
Or, buy a flat of AAs, STS etc, shoot them up. Reload them until the crimps won't hold, repeat.
Works for me.

Sam