The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2002, 04:32 PM   #1
mini14shootr

000 federal low recoil buck

How good is this for home protection what kind of 1 shot stop % does it produce?
Old January 16, 2002, 04:39 PM   #2
jadams951

If you're talking about the 8 pellet round I've heard some pretty good things about it. I believe the NRA rated it real high in some sort of tests. I can't find the info on line so you can see it though
Old January 16, 2002, 08:48 PM   #3
stick

I was unable to find a OOO Tactical load (low recoil) on Federal's website. They do list a OO and #4 buck loading, 9 and 27 pellets respectively. The list muzzle velocity on both is 1140fps. Easier on the shoulder and nice patterns. But like all loads, the performance in your SG may differ. Give them a try.

As for % for 1 shot stop. There are many comments on that concept in the archieves, search "Marshal and Sannow" (sp?).
Old January 16, 2002, 10:58 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My info is a little dated, but a Fed database I used to access had a 98 % one shot stop rate for all shotguns, regardless of gauge or load. Most defensive and LE use of shotguns is at close range.Thus, a skeet load of 9s for the 410 is the tactical equivalent of a 10 gauge 000 load.

I'm unsure 000 is the best choice for HD, especially if you like your neighbors.

Overpenetration's a serious issue, and use of another round that reduces(but does not eliminate) that possibility may be a better choice.

One correspondent from days of yore reported excellent results with the Federal 3"Mag 000 load, but it's not a R/R load. There may be a niche here that's left unfilled.

I would like to hear more about a R/R load in #4 buck. The FBI did exhaustive tests on all buck before adopting the standard #4, and all the agents I've known like it.

In your shoes, I'd try a few buck loads in 4,3,1, 00 and 000 and see what patterns best from your shotgun, then buy plenty of that load, for when you need a good load at more than HD ranges. Probably, all else equal, the 000 will pattern best or close to it.
Old January 16, 2002, 11:37 PM   #5
swsurgeon

I live in a condo with walls that are California thickness, so I load the Federal Tactical RR #4 buck. My M1 Super 90 patterns fine with it, as does my Mossberg 590. Very comfortable to shoot.
Old January 18, 2002, 01:11 PM   #6
CWL

It shoots about the same as their low recoil 00, which can be bought from www.ammoman.com.

000 will make fewer, though bigger holes than 00, which will make fewer though bigger holes than #4, etc.

In most HD situations, whatever buck load you may use won't be spreading that much anyway because of the distances involved. But stick to lighter loads if you live in high-density neighborhoods in case of overpenetration.
Old January 18, 2002, 01:54 PM   #7
jason10mm

In my 20" 590, the Federal tac 00 will spread about 4-5" at 7-8 meters. That just about covers the "sweet spot" of a head shot. I shot 7 1/2 birdshot plus the #4 and 00 tac shot all mixed up in my 590. Could not tell a difference. The tac slugs were more stout though. I got mine from ammoman.com, 50 rnds for 33$ delivered. Pricey for shotgun ammo, but this ain't practice ammo. Since it kicks about the same as 7 1/2 shot from a 2 3/4 shell, that is my practice load. I hear good things about the estate ammo, plan on getting some the next time a lot goes for sale. LAter.