The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2012, 06:49 AM   #1
rebs

I need a better method of trimming 223's

I was at our local Sportsman's Club shooting my AR 15 and another guy also shooting an AR 15 and I started talking and he asked if I reloaded, I said yes I do. He says he has saved all his brass and was going to get into reloading but he just doesn't have the time and asked if I would like some once fired brass, of course I said yes. He said I was welcome to follow him home and pick it up if I wanted, so I did. He gave me close to a 1000 LC 5.56, 250 45 acp, 150 44 mag and 150 9 mm plus a handful of 270. He wouldn't take anything for them, I thanked him very much and said how much I appreciated it.

Now with all this brass to process I am looking for a better method of trimming the 5.56 brass. I have been using the Lee trimmer but the cases keep coming loose in the shell holder in my cordless drill.
What method are you guys using to trimm your 5.56 or 223's ?
Old September 18, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
oldmanFCSA

As for the Lee shell holder for the Trimmer - throw it in the trash and buy a K&M shell holder with a hex-head. Mount the correct sized wrench on your table front (mine is open on bottom), holder in cordless drill, tighten case, put in wrench to finish tighten on light torque setting, TRIM, reverse drill, loosen in wrench, do another. Mounting the trimmer portion to table reduces damage to hands after several hundred.

I also send 223 out for full-length resize, deprime, swage primer pocket, trim for length using Dillon Carbide Trimmer, and tumbling for $0.03 each. Recently received 6000 cases back from that resource. He has a Dillon 1050 that has been modified for that purpose with auto case feeder.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
1stmar

Oldmanfcsa that sounds like a lot of work... I think these two items will work with your lee trimmer and cordless drill, and make it much easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352...la=ProductDesc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174...th-3-jaw-chuck
Old September 18, 2012, 04:46 PM   #4
stu925

I use the RCBS Trim Pro and a 3-way cutting head which saves a ton of time. I found that if I remove the handle and take my Rigid 1/2" cordless drill and chuck the shaft into it it speeds the process up quite a bit. I use an old Speer reloading manual (it's the perfect thickness) under the body of the drill to keep the weight of the trimmer shaft. I can probably do somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 cases per minute although I've never actually timed it. The best part is no chamfer or deburr is necessary on the cases.

Stu
Old September 18, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Edward429451

If you bite the bullet and buy an RCBS Trim-Pro, life will be good. Absolutely get the 3 way cutter which deburs inside and out. I trimmed a little over 1000 223 with a Lee zip trip once. What a PITB that was. To me the power unit was worth it just for the 223s but the bonus is that it does all calibers. I should have mounted a cookie sheet below it to catch the oil runoff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading 023.jpg (36.9 KB, 379 views)
Old September 19, 2012, 05:59 AM   #6
My Toy

Another vote for the RCBS Trim-Pro; you will never look back.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:29 AM   #7
1stmar

How long does it take to adjust the trim length on the rcbs trim pro when you change to a different cartridge?
Old September 19, 2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Edward429451

The first one takes about 5 minutes of trial & error. After that you save a trimmed case to set up with and it takes about 60 seconds.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
jmorris

I use the Dillon trimmer. You can size/deprime and trim 1800 an hour pretty easy.

Old September 19, 2012, 11:11 AM   #10
rebs

I haven't been able to find a place that has the Possum Hollow trimmer and power adapter so I can order both. Anyone have any idea's ?
Old September 19, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
RNG

To those using the 3-way cutter. Do I need to buy a different 3-way cutter for each caliber(22, 30, etc) or can I just buy a 3-way cutter for say .223 and then buy the .30 caliber cutter pilot?

Thanks,
Richard
Old September 19, 2012, 01:13 PM   #12
TheTinMan

For a relatively low budget alternative, I use Lyman's Universal Trimmer. One collet for all cartridges and it comes with multiple pilot tips. Need the carbide cutter. I got the power adapter and use a cordless electric drill. I wouldn't use this approach for 500 case batches, but it's fine for 50-100. Concentricity probably doesn't meet bench rest standards but I can get 1 MOA groups out of my M1A.

RCBS TrimMate takes care of de-burring, chamfering, cleaning primer pockets and uniforming flash holes (only once for that step and I use a Lyman flash hole uniformer shaft).
Old September 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #13
HJ857

Quote:
I haven't been able to find a place that has the Possum Hollow trimmer and power adapter so I can order both. Anyone have any idea's ?
Yeah, the Possum Hollow pieces can be real hard to find in stock. Do a google search and check all the possible dealers, it's hit or miss any time of the year.

Just as a note, the PH trimmer will require you to chamfer and deburr and there's no way around it. And the power adapter is a must have, the PH trimmer is not effective at all with just hand power.

You can get the adapter easily enough, Sinclair Intl carries them all the time and also has a deal if you get one of their chamfer/deburr tools with the adapter you get a few bucks off the price. That adapter works just fine with the PH.

It's also worth checking out the "World's Finest Trimmer" which looks to be similar to the PH trimmer, but a bit more expensive.
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

edit; was looking on Midway and decided to search for the Possum Hollow and by god - it's in stock! I don't think I've ever seen it in stock there. If you want one, drop everything and order it now.

Last edited by HJ857; September 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:13 PM   #14
rebs

Quote:
edit; was looking on Midway and decided to search for the Possum Hollow and by god - it's in stock! I don't think I've ever seen it in stock there. If you want one, drop everything and order it now.
But they don't have the power adapter for in my drill.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:24 PM   #15
zippy13

I'm still using an old school Forster case trimmer. Last year I had the cutter re-sharpened -- huge improvement
Old September 20, 2012, 08:18 AM   #16
jmorris

I like the Forester too, just not for thousands of cases. Even for low volume a motor is nice. I converted this one with an old power window motor.

Old September 22, 2012, 02:46 PM   #17
korny351

Quote:
Call Possum Hollow and order direct. If they don't have it in stock, they will make it up.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:28 AM   #18
Clark

44 second video shows me trim 5 cases
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 24, 2012, 06:36 AM   #19
rebs

Very nice setup, looks like you have it down pretty good.
Looks pretty easy to do. what are you using for a cutter ?
Old September 24, 2012, 07:59 AM   #20
hk33ka1

Probably the fastest way to trim and chamfer at once. Size cases first then pust in like a pencil sharpener, it headspaces on case shoulder. I keep putting off buying one. You need to buy parts for each calibre you trim. I'd like the heads for 223, 308, 30-06.

http://www.giraudtool.com/
Old September 24, 2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Clark

In the mill:
An RCBS trimmer shaft, pilot, and cutter are in the chuck.
A Lee lock stud and a Lee #5 shell holder [ belted magnum size shell holder] are in the vise.
The shell holder to lock stud threads are actuated with long nosed vise grips.
The brass is trimmed from 2.236" to 2.220" to fit in the 2.230" chamber

In 223 I do that with an RCBS 3-way cutter, and then I don't have to chamfer.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 24, 2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

So many ways to go here. If you have the Lee already, get their Zip trim or use the linked to parts. You can also use the Lee trimmer in a drill press with that chuck and shaft. Hold the shaft in a vice.

Possum Hollow and WFT trimmer in drills for similarly square trimming are fairly prompt. If you want simultaneous chamfering and deburring, then the RCBS 3-way cutter, the Gracey trimmer, or the Giraud trimmer (what I have now; works great).

Follow Clark's example and go to YouTube for videos of all these things in action and decide what's best for you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2012, 08:54 PM   #23
rebs

Lee case trimmer ?

I have a Lee case trimmer and have a problem with it. When I put a case in the shell holder and go to trim it, half the time the case holder doesn't old the case. The holder loosens up and the case starts to wobble. Does anyone else have this problem ? Can it be fixed ?

(merged from other thread)

Last edited by Unclenick; September 24, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:08 PM   #24
mrawesome22

Lee puts good ideas into cheap, unreliable materials with loose tolerances. Very affordable.

You get what you pay for. If Lee's system doesn't work for you, upgrade.

sudo passwd root

Last edited by Unclenick; September 24, 2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: (merged from other thread)
Old September 24, 2012, 09:11 PM   #25
jcwit

I have a number of Lee Case trimer kits. Tighten yours up a little more, I have no problem with any of mine. Just recently I trimed a couple thousand 30 cal. carbine cases using Lee's set up.

Last edited by Unclenick; September 24, 2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: (merged from other thread)