The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 11, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
KyJim

My "new" Colt Officers

I picked up a "new" Colt revolver a couple of weeks ago. I didn't post earlier because I know that without pictures, it didn't happen. It's a Colt Officers Model Special (.38 sp), 4th issue, manufactured only from 1949 to 1952. Proofhouse has this gun dated near the end of the 1949 production run. You can't miss the unusual, non-tapered barrel. It came with the original box and the factory target but no other papers. Somebody used a paint stick on the lettering. I haven't decided whether to take it of or not.

Grips are the original "Coltwood" plastic grips:

Old October 11, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2
KyJim

Here's a couple of photos of my "baby boomer" Colts. Top to bottom, Colt Officers Model Match from 1956 (IIRC), the Officers Model Special from 1949 (1st yr for 4th issue), and the .357 Magnum from 1954 (1st year production). Somewhere along the way, I picked up a liking for the then-top-of-the-line Colts.

Old October 11, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Backwoodsboy

Very nice find, congrats.
Old October 11, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

A nice gun marred (IMHO) by those ugly plastic stocks. I know they are original and all that, but if the gun were mine I would sure try to find Colt walnut replacements.

Jim
Old October 11, 2013, 02:33 PM   #5
KyJim

Quote:
A nice gun marred (IMHO) by those ugly plastic stocks. I know they are original and all that, but if the gun were mine I would sure try to find Colt walnut replacements.
LOL. Well, the plastic stocks do look a little chintzy so I may get another set. Probably not the target sized stocks since my hands are small. I can handle them but I always feel like I'm stretching to do so. Suggestions?
Old October 11, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Bob Wright

That is a nice collection there, and thanks for showing them off!

I always was sort of partial to the Colt New Service and at the time kept a lookout for a Shooting Master, to no avail. Now I'm reverting to Single Action revolvers.

Bob Wright
Old October 11, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
KyJim

Thanks for the kind words. The biggest hole in my handgun "collection" is the lack of a single action revolver. I'm not sure why, I just seem to buy what strikes my fancy, rather than making actual plans. That's what I did with the Officers Model Special. I just happened across it at my LGS and they were glad to feed my addiction.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

I like the gun as is. Even with the paint stick and the cheesy grips. I'd just leave it. It has history. I bet it's a fine shooter.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Kev

Love the new girl..
My heart breaks every time I see a 50's era OMM though so thanks for chipping away at whats left of it..

Had a 38 & 22 OMM..lost them both to unfortunate circumstances and once belonged to my Father..
Old October 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #10
KyJim

The OMM is a sweet shooter. I haven't gotten to take the OMS out to the range yet, perhaps in the next week.
Old October 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Bob Wright

At one time I sort of dreamed of starting a collection of Colt DA revolvers of the 1920 vintage through the Python era. I especially admired having one of each frame size, the New Service, The Official Police, and the Police Positive Special, and especially the target versions of each.

The "the best laid plans of mice and men.........."

But I didn't miss all that much, either!

Bob Wright
Old October 12, 2013, 11:19 AM   #12
SaxonPig

I have a fondness for the pre-Mk II Colts. Decided I had too many and sold one last summer. Still a little shook up.

Old October 15, 2013, 06:38 AM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
Suggestions?
The first thing I did after getting my Officers Special made in 1951 (ser. no. 7866xx) was to shuck those nasty looking "Coltwood" grips and install a set of Python grips that I found new at a gunshow for forty bucks.

I still use my OS at Bullseye meets; the shooting discipline the revolver was explicitly intended to compete in.

Does your revolver have the "Coltmaster" rear adjustable sight or the "Accro" version, introduced in 1953?
Old October 15, 2013, 11:09 PM   #14
boa2

KyJim:

That is a real nice OMS you got there! Congrat's!

My NIB OMS .38 was produced in 1950. It came with both the Coltwood grips and the nice walnut grips. Evidently the original owner decided to upgrade to the Accro rear sights in 1953. Following is a photo of this OMS:

Last edited by boa2; October 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:21 PM   #15
KyJim

boa2 --

Thanks.

dgludwig --
Quote:
The first thing I did after getting my Officers Special made in 1951 (ser. no. 7866xx) was to shuck those nasty looking "Coltwood" grips and install a set of Python grips that I found new at a gunshow for forty bucks.
I'm definitely going to put some different shoes on it. Just need to find what's right for me.

Quote:
Does your revolver have the "Coltmaster" rear adjustable sight or the "Accro" version, introduced in 1953?
Mine has the Coltmaster.