The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1
dlburns

Primers not falling into tube

I am a newbie to reloading and just decapped 20 22-250 cases to reload. On my new Lee Challenger press there is a slot cut into the ram that allows the spent primers to fall into the clear tube attached to the bottom of the press. My problem is that the primers fly out of the slot in the ram rather than funneling down into the tube! Am I doing something wrong?
Old March 17, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Vance

There should be a primer installing arm that fits into the slot in the ram. That should be left in because it helps keep the spent primers going where they should.
Old March 17, 2012, 01:45 AM   #3
dacaur

+1... with my deluxe turret press, without the primer arm in the primers end up all over the floor, with it installed they go 95% where they should...
Old March 17, 2012, 08:27 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

Vance and dacaur have nailed it. It took me a few minutes with my first Lee press to realize that even if you're not priming, you have to keep a primer seating arm (either the large or the small - it doesn't matter) installed in the ram to route the primers correctly.
Old March 17, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Ethan.G

same thing happened to me dont feel bad, just keep that primer seater in there
Old March 17, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
hounddawg

+ 1 for the screwed it up when I first started with it also crowd
Old March 17, 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
dacaur

The only problem I have had is sizing cases that have been tumbled without a primer (decapped before tumbling). The media stuck in the flash hole gets pushed out, and after a while the primer arm starts to stick and eventually gets flung out on the floor. I have just started removing it and wiping it and the ram down every time it starts to stick and all is well.
Old March 17, 2012, 07:00 PM   #8
PawPaw

I don't worry about those spent primers coming out of the priming arm slot. I figure that's what God made brooms for, and if you've ever seen the clutter under my bench you'd know that I don't even use brooms that often.

I have thought about taking the ram out and having that slot welded up. I've got two sons that own a welding shop and they could probably fill that hole and file everything down one slow afternoon. Plus, they get the benefit of the reloading in free ammo.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 17, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
dlburns

primer mess

Thanks for the info guys..I was wondering what I was gonna do with those two arms?
Dave
Old March 17, 2012, 07:16 PM   #10
dacaur

Quote:
I have thought about taking the ram out and having that slot welded up.
I was thinking about just buying a spare and cutting off anything that sticks outside the slot for use only when depriming.... just in case you want to prime on the press sometime...
Also, thinking about the amount of heat that will go into the ram during welding, might end up looking like a banana.... even a little warping will be a really bad thing considering the clearances...

as for the broom.... I have to wonder how much lead comes out of a primer as it impacts the floor and is subsequently swept around with a broom... of course it couldn't be much, but over the course of thousands of primers.... who knows... I have a 3 year old that likes to hand out with me while I reload , she will "help" me or just play on the floor.... scary thought eh?
Old March 17, 2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Romeo 33 Delta

Just take a piece of a LARGE Mickey D straw, cut a length of it and insert it in the upper end of the ram (by the shell holder area. This will keep the primers from getting away from you.

I also did this with my Rock Chucker (and drilled a hole in the plastic catcher tray and stuffed a piece of clear tubing into it ... make it a TIGHT fit and run it down to a milk jug. I don't have problems with primers flying all over the place.)
Old March 18, 2012, 01:42 AM   #12
poline

Can someone show a picture of this primer seating arm?
Old March 18, 2012, 07:13 AM   #13
ScottRiqui

Here's two of them, side-by-side (the one on the left has a broken hook, though):

Old March 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #14
poline

( ScottRiqui )................thank you, very much.
Old March 18, 2012, 08:03 PM   #15
ScottRiqui

You're welcome!
Old March 19, 2012, 09:52 AM   #16
carprivershooter

same problem

I to had the problem of spent primers not going where they should, I took a plastic water bottle and cut it to size and uses wire ties to hold it in place. This keeps the 5 % that don't drop into the collector from getting away. I also had a problem with the ram dragging and the primer arm sticking. I use a bit of silicone spray of the ram. It runs smooth for a long time. Hope this helps.