The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 10:04 AM   #26
drail

"Colostomy bag. Wanna help me change it?"
Old January 7, 2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Bob Wright

Quote:
Mobuck said:Last year at a business meeting, a coworker "bumped" into me while we were moving some office equipment. She immediately looked directly in my eye and winked.
That was the only time anyone has made any indication of noticing I was armed.
I've had that happen many times, even though I wasn't carryin' at the time.

Had to remind myself I was a married man!

Bob Wright
Old January 7, 2013, 11:17 AM   #28
Pilot

It has never happened to me either, but my response would be that I carry a large cell phone/PDA.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Hook686

Quote:
Someone with enough concern (and suspicion) might, if unsatisfied with a pleasant smile and a polite non-answer might lead to a conversation with the police investigating a suspected "man with a gun" call.
If the officer has probable cause I think the officer has a duty to check it out. Will one citizens suspicion constitute a probable cause ? I think the Leos on this board need to answer that.

If I am carrying legally why would I worry about it ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:14 PM   #30
Grant D

I carry two wallets,cause I can't fit all my money in one.....
Old January 7, 2013, 06:20 PM   #31
thedudeabides

Cell phone.

It's all a cell phone.

They're so big nowadays and the holsters are so bulky, no one even thinks twice you're carrying a gun.

If someone is insistent, it's my legal CCW.

But no one has gotten so close into my personal space, I'm very mindful when I carry.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:29 PM   #32
lockedcj7

Never had it happen in 12+ years. So many people carry cell phones in a holster that anyone without a bulge is suspicious. My wife knows that I carry and is often reassured to know that I'm armed when we are out and about. I don't really want her touching the gun though. If she comes in for a hug or kiss, I preemptively put my arms around her waist. That forces her to put her arms around my neck. If I'm in a large crowd and it's likely to get bumped, I'll tuck my elbow in close to my side and guard it with my elbow. I also try real hard to not be in crowds that are that tight.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:46 PM   #33
wet

We had a sporting goods store that opened a few years ago in Idaho. They told a fellow that open carried "customers are not allowed to carry guns here, company policy" even though they sold guns. It was on the news, a few months latter they had a going out of buisness sale.
There is no way I will spend a dime of my money at a store that has a gun free sign or policy.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:35 PM   #34
MSD Mike

Not really an answer to your question but I check other folks out to see if I can tell if they are carrying a gun. I have never seen anyone I can tell has a one. Of course I dont go as far as bumping into them.

Mike
Old January 8, 2013, 01:07 AM   #35
Smit

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
Old January 8, 2013, 08:47 AM   #36
h2otoo

I remember reading a Jeff Cooper article shortly after Al Gore lost his bid for election. Col. Cooper was walking into an establishment when a woman noticed his sidearm and gasped at the sight of it. The good Colonel looked at he and said, "Haven't you heard, we won the election."

I guess that wont work these days. Got to come up with a plan B.

Bob
Old January 8, 2013, 10:33 AM   #37
Panfisher

Tell them you are carrying a portion of the U.S. Constitution. Having worked at a couple gun shows were we have to ask if the person coming in is carrying and them "safe" the weapon, I am constanty amazed at what can be concealed even if I am sort of looking for it. I've seen full sized 1911's come out when I had given them a cursory visual and seen nothing.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:17 PM   #38
qwiksdraw

Mobuck
Last year at a business meeting, a coworker "bumped" into me while we were moving some office equipment. She immediately looked directly in my eye and winked.
That was the only time anyone has made any indication of noticing I was armed.

Maybe she was wondering if that was a pistol in your pocket or if you were glad to see her!
Old January 8, 2013, 01:54 PM   #39
Tactical Jackalope

Families, family outings, girlfriends family.

Hellos are a hug and kiss on the cheek. At 4:00 it can be fun. I'm far less inclined to hug non-family members / people I'm not close to. When it does happy, I get the occasional stupid remark (out loud sometimes) "Why are you carrying a gun at home?!" ...Airhead, when is a more appropriate time to carry a gun besides on duty, than around my entire family?! Ever heard of "home invasions".

The next time a crime makes an appointment with someone let me know. I promise I'll leave it at home. You can wait for that to happen forever and a day, I'll keep carrying while you do so.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:14 PM   #40
chewie146

If you're printing that bad, consider a different method. Perhaps spandex aren't the best CC attire. Seriously though, I have a hard time locating people's carry position in gun stores where I know people are carrying. I'm paying attention. These days, people are too buried in their smart phones and tablets to notice what their children are doing, let alone what that bulge in your pocket it.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:43 PM   #41
kilimanjaro

That second wallet is the passport and plane tickets.

Five cigars in a case.

Sunglasses in a case.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:59 PM   #42
22longrifleguy

"No, I'm just happy to see you" (Front pocket carry)

Shoulder holster are just asking to be seen, usually someone will ask why you are wearing a large coat, unless its snowing outside.

Honestly Inside the waist band/small of the back or back pocket carry shouldn't be an issue. I'm left handed so my gun will be in the left pocket. My wallet will be in the right like a majority of men who are in fact right handed.

www.22longrifle.blogspot.com
Old January 8, 2013, 10:11 PM   #43
jason_iowa

insulin pump is what I use if someone asks because of printing or whatever.