The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 2, 2011, 11:49 PM   #1
topdragster257

Information on dehumidifiers ??

Looking for recommendations on a dehumidifier for a fairly large safe (Vault). The safe is in a basement, (actually part of the basement) Looking for any information on type or brands to buy. The safe is poured concrete walls (12" thick, with an 8" poured concrete lid with a vault type door. Thanks
Old March 3, 2011, 09:02 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

Just how big is your vault room? If a lets say 12'x10' a 16 pint dehum should suffice and does the room have a floor drain? If not you will want to put a hole in the wall to allow a drain tube to go through and let the water that fill the bucket to drain without you having to drain it daily. I would ensure that you also change the floor drain to an self sealing type to prevent and backup water seep from the drain if the vault room has a drain.
Old March 3, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3
gearhounds

You could also accomplish what you need with a low output heater type dehumidifier if the space isn't too large and is reasonably well sealed. Basically silent and would use less electricity than a regular dehumidifier. Concrete retains water for a lot longer than one would think, so it won't be a bad idea to seal the inner walls/floor/ceiling with an impermeable paint to boot. I remember reading that elastometric paints(the kind a lot of buildings in high humidity and rainfall areas use) seal well.
Old March 3, 2011, 10:34 PM   #4
topdragster257

The safe is 8.5' x 24' with 8' ceiling. I am still in the process of building the house, so it will still be a while before it is put into use. I had planned on sealing the walls and ceiling, installing a accoustic tile ceiling and covering the walls with some type wood (either rough sawn siding type, tongue and groove or just some type of paneling)
Old March 4, 2011, 08:14 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

they sell a 22 pint and that should take car of 700 sq ft... NICE ROOM...