The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Pahoo

Help identifying 1851

Local dealer asked me to help identify an 1851 Navy, London model reproduction. Came in a wooden partitioned box, with flast, mold and #11 caps. Nothing on the box to identify it but does indicate that it was made in Iatly. However, there is a manufaturers stamp on the frame and barrel. It's a U inside of what looks like a representaion of a rifled bore. I'm saying its a Uberti and he claims that all the Ubertis he has ever seen, actually read Uberti. .....
I gave him a price on what I thought it was worth as he wants to sell it.

What say you C&B revolver experts? ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 5, 2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Hardcase

The U inside the stylized bore is the logo of Uberti. The gun may have been manufactured for another company, so Uberti would not have put their name on it, but it's certainly the Uberti logo.

Old January 5, 2011, 04:58 PM   #3
napp

Hardcase beat me to it. Scroll down about halfway...on the left side.
http://www.acwsa.org/Pages/News_Items/MBPProofmarks.pdf
Old January 5, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Definitely a Uberti. Blue Book says pistol worth between $165 and $300 depending on condition (80% to 100%) Case and accessories are what you can get for em usually. If bought new (EMF), case $90, Flask $40, mold $30.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 6, 2011, 08:30 AM   #5
mykeal

I have several Uberti's that don't have the name on them. In fact, only one does, out of 7 guns. All the rest have the logo only. Your dealer needs a little more experience.
Old January 6, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
Your dealer needs a little more experience.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most dealers could care less about M/Ls., let alone try to learn anything about them. Had one Pennsylvania dealer tells me that up there, they don't have much use for sidelocks. My particualr dealer did not take any interest until I started working with him. Before that, he turned them away. Needless to say, I have since gotten some good deals through him. There have been more than one M/L brought in that belonged to their dad or granddad that the kid will never shoot. I call these SideCockers, my orphans, I take them in, clean them and find them a deserving home. This Uberti is one such orphan. ......

I have tried to get my dealer out to shoot, with no success. He loves to shoot and I know if I can get him out, I'll get him hooked, like so many others. ..

You guys have exceeded my expectations on confirming this C&B and truly appreciated your support. This forum is great because of your knowledge and experience. I truly thank you !!! .......

Be Safe !!!