The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 09:50 PM   #51
Colorado Redneck

Trail Boss powder 5 lb jugs

At Recobs Target Shop--$105.59

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,69.html
Old June 1, 2014, 01:43 AM   #52
Tucker 1371

In Knox and Blount County TN I haven't see any .22lr on the shelves in 6 months or so, same story everywhere I go. .308, 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40, and .45 are all readily available in large quantities. .38 Spl can be a little tough to find but it pops up from time to time.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old June 5, 2014, 05:11 PM   #53
Closing The Gap

All of the 5.56/.223 at the wallyworlds in my area have dropped in price significantly today. Example the federal 420rd 5.56 in the green ammo can was $199 yesterday and today it's $179. It looks like they're ready to start moving the stuff that isn't selling. Which should be another good sign that the end of the madness is close.
Old June 5, 2014, 10:56 PM   #54
doc540

FINALLY - Plenty of .22

I run 40gr roundnose MiniMags in my match gun, Marvel 1911 conversion kit, and in my training guns. So, I shoot a lot of it.

By getting to Academy and Gander for months two hours before the doors open and by swapping and trading other bulk .22 ammo, I'm finally stocked up to where I was two years ago when CCI MiniMags were plentiful.

And it feels good. I shot 100rnds today at the range.

3800 rnds
Old June 8, 2014, 04:14 PM   #55
StukaJU87

Rural King has Fiocchi 45 Colt 250gr for $29.99/50 plus another 10% off right now. Not bad for cowboy loads.

Their shelves were well stocked on all calibers. Their prices are still a little high but a lot lower then most of the prices I see posted here. Plus the fact that I went to a local gun show and a guy was selling ammo at "Walmart" prices, (308 Win for $16.99/20 instead of the $23.99 I usually see), leads me to believe that there just might be some light at the end of this long and dark tunnel.
Old June 8, 2014, 05:28 PM   #56
jasmith85

My local Walmart is very similar to a lot of other people's. They have pretty much everything in stock but 22lr. I've seen 22lr in stock there once since the end of 2012.
Old June 8, 2014, 07:06 PM   #57
navajoRN

Purchasing ammo off online auctions?

Has anyone bought firearms, ammo, accessories through online auctions other than GunBroker or the like? General estate auctions? I'm looking at an upcoming auction on invaluable.com that looks like a possible LGS or reloader/gunsmith estate sale. What do you think?

http://www.invaluable.com/ammunition...sc-YP7HG2L7C3/
Old June 8, 2014, 07:08 PM   #58
navajoRN

.22 shorts in!

Stopped by my LGS to do a firearm transfer/FFL and lo and behold they had a shipment of .22 shorts in!!! I snatched up only 4 boxes at $13 each because that's all I could afford at the time. They really do still exist! They really are out there!
Old June 9, 2014, 08:16 PM   #59
navajoRN

.22 shorts and more

I saw an online ad in the sidebar on the Colt/1911/S&W Forum (can't remember which one as I was on all three last night) for a place called Alamo Ammo out of Texas. They have a boatload of .22LR and shorts for a good price.
Old June 13, 2014, 04:58 AM   #60
Ted D

When you travel 3000 miles

I live in ohio traveled to Az. to visit my parents. While I was there I went to local gun shops I couldn't find any .22lr or any powder. This sucks. Seems like the only way to get ammo is if you buy a gun. I feel like I'm at the point to stock up and buy arrows and broadheads for my bow.
Old June 13, 2014, 08:04 PM   #61
JimDandy

Just stopped at a Cabelas "outpost" store that opened yesterday in Missoula MT they had a bunch of LRN CCI 22 long and short in Stock.
Old June 19, 2014, 06:33 AM   #62
dgerwin11

.22 LR at Walmart.

Yesterday at 4:00 PM I was in WalMart in Griffin, GA. I was looking in the ammo display just for giggles. An associate asked if I was looking for anything specific, so I told her I was just checking for .22s. So she took me to the counter and reached under and brought out a box of 225 Remington Goldens.

In celebration I went home and burned though 45 rounds.
Old June 26, 2014, 10:24 AM   #63
tateconcepts

Everyone Calm Down Here

Everyone,

Calm down here. I just finally logged on to post this but WE are the cause of the shortages. Take the tin foil hats off, every one of us has from time to time as quoted far earlier "pounced" on what there was when we saw it. As such, this is what causes the shortages. I am a type 06 FFL, I love the 'pouncing' but it is ridiculous and I'm getting tired of it. I also hate being the 22LR guy that everyone seems to want from me. This is because half really want some for personal use and the other half want to take a cut and mark it up, hence why my prices are lower than everyone on TFB.

I decided to stop selling 22LR altogether and refocus on normal production and sales to select premier 01 FFL dealers and LE / private security. While this requires the grind and is not quick money, it's right thing to do and better for the long run. It also is in line with the business plan. I can shoot any time I want, select fire or full auto free of charge at my range, they are my customer as well and I do ballistics testing there. While I enjoy throwing some brass every now and then, I don't have the same expenses many of you do. Most people's expensive hobby is a business expense for me and therefore is tax deductible. I really think, from an outside perspective - that people need to just relax and let the market stabilize. For the tin foil folks and for those who are just caught in the last decade of pricing, yes 22LR is going to be slightly more expensive going forward, it just is as will all handgun calibers for semi autos (exception to 38/357MAG). I have confirmed through the manufacturers themselves that by fall we should see 22LR returning to the market. I can confirm this - as many of us will switch to different calibers for those seasons. While I am NOT one of those, as my calibers are always in demand due to my client portfolio, many of you are. The hard truth is that when the AR/MSR models started flying off the shelves in late 2012, the result was the ammo needed for them. In turn, manufactures like me rushed to get that product back to the shelves and in turn; the large manufacturers that I deal with had to convert some of their production lines (of what was no big deal at the time22LR) over to 223REM. Because of this, everyone thought they could instead by the 22LR AR/MSR models and in turn, squashed the demand for this caliber. This was exacerbated by the additional sales of handguns, many semi automatic 22LR models.

Today, we shoot more than our forefathers. More ammunition is expended than ever before in this decade. WE are the cause of our issues. For what it's worth, this is the truth for all to know. I wanted to set everyone down for a moment and give them the same insight I have had for a year now. For those attempting to grab the 22LR, get it done because your time is up. I expect to see the same trend on Gunbroker as I have since the beginning of last month. Mass liquidation of assets, particularly those in the hardest to find products. Their prices (that many find ridiculous) is slowly falling and is expected to bottom out by the end of next month. Will people still need ammunition, yes they will and will some always be more popular than others - yes. Will their always be a rush for these products, that depends on you - the reader of this post. Ultimately, we the manufactures want all of you to be served. We do want to make money and yes, that's the point of being in business but ultimately in the end, if you can't shoot - you will give up and that's not good for any of us at all. Take only what you NEED from the shelves and pass everything I have told you to the next person, with only one request - leave one for the next person please. If we want this nonsense to stop, then each of us must take a stand. I need no replies as I am rarely reading these. Ask yourselves today men, where do you stand? When the music stops will you still be at The Firing Line or on the other side still holding an offset losing hand?
Old June 26, 2014, 10:36 AM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

Thank you for your insights but the thread should focus more on what people have found in the stores, online, etc.

So folks, don't start a discussion on how we should behave.

Thanks.
Old June 26, 2014, 04:19 PM   #65
Kev

Used Ammoseek and saw Cabela's had Remi's 333 packs for 18.99
5 bucks for shipping so for under 25 bucks I will have a little supply for a July 4th outing.

I checked back with Cabela's today, and they are out. I now feel "lucky" and glad I didn't procrastinate more than I did..
Old June 27, 2014, 03:32 AM   #66
Kimio

Any idea what the average going price is for .22LR is? They have a box of Remington Thunderbolts 500rnds on Ammoseek.com for $62 pre-shipping, which is pretty damn salty from what I've seen.

That's what...roughly 11-12 cents a round?
Old June 28, 2014, 08:13 PM   #67
Glenn E. Meyer

Went to Bass Pro to look at some camping stuff. So I checked ammo. Most was there except 22LR. It's still being bought up for the Smurf Zombie Apocalypse.
Old June 29, 2014, 12:18 AM   #68
johnwilliamson062

I still haven't seen anything anywhere in person except match loads that sell for more than centerfire. I offered up two bulk packs I have in reserve for an outing with some friends a month ago and it was like I offered to buy everyone a steak dinner. Everyone looked to be wondering what I was selling.
Old June 30, 2014, 02:26 PM   #69
Spats McGee
Staff

Little Miss McGee and I went to the gun show at the Arkansas State Fairgrounds on Saturday. Most of the ammo was still priced pretty high, in particular the .22LR. However, I did spy some remanufactured rounds (HSM, I think was the brand) prices well below what the new stuff is going for at Wal-Mart.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:23 AM   #70
Kimio

So I was talking with a clerk in the gun section at my local BX and we got around to talking about the ammo shortage, particularly with the scarcity of .22lr

He had mentioned that he doubts that even if the craze slows down, that the prices will ever go down to any real degree. The manufacturers see what people are willing to pay for the ammunition, and they're not stupid, so chances are that they'll be jacking up the prices as well. Perhaps not as high, but certainly the price will raise.

Or so he said. What do ya'll think? It sounds like a plausible and logical thing that would happen after all this ridiculousness.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:10 AM   #71
johnwilliamson062

I don't think the 22lr supply is tightly enough controlled for them to artificially inflate prices to that degree. The problem is I doubt supply will catch up before we have another event causing it to sky rocket. Even though the last two scares have fallen flat it seems to me like another would feed a repeat frenzy.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:44 AM   #72
Kimio

I hear you on that john. The anti gun community will be up to their usual antics soon enough, once mid term elections pass and they've secured their jobs for the next foreseeable decade or so.

Will just have to keep a sharp eye out for decent deals.

Speaking of which, I wasn't really deep into the shooting crowd before the craze, what is a decent price for .22lr, .233 or .308 these days? Brass reload-able that is.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:36 PM   #73
kilimanjaro

Local prices here :

.22LR $4.99 CCI 40 grain HP Cabelas
.223 $8.99 PMC Ball Local shop
.308 $14.99 S&B Ball Local shop
.308 19.98 Remington softpoints Walmart
Old July 4, 2014, 12:10 AM   #74
johnwilliamson062

In 2007 bulk 22lr was just under 4 cents a round if that is what you are asking. I think it was back down to just over 4 cents before this last run on things.
Old July 4, 2014, 12:20 PM   #75
mboylan

Manufacturers have not raised prices on .22 LR more than a few percent total over the last 2 years. So, the whole argument is bunk. Retailers and distributors have raised prices.
Closed Thread