The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1
UtahHunting

My Latest Addition

Good day gentlemen,

I have not added a black powder revolver for a few years now and I ran across this one and could not pass it up. I am not a big brass frame guy but I figured what the heck.

Based on the markings I think it is from 1963 imported by Navy Arms. It is a .36 caliber. I believe the gun is an 1851 Griswold & Gunnison (correct me if I am wrong). I do not think the gun has ever been fired, just a bit dirty from storage. I probably overpaid for it at $125 but it is only money right? and I wanted a .36 to go with the collection.

Old January 17, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
deerslayer303

To my novice eye it looks like a Griswold to me. Nice piece. I love the way the brass is tarnished, looks GREAT! Maybe I'll take the brasser off the wall and let it tarnish up a bit. I guess they get like that from not being polished with anything. Anyway LET THE SHOOSHTING BEGIN And let us know how it does. We like range reports
Old January 17, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Congrats on your find.

You are correct, it's a Griswold & Gunnison. What are the markings on it that might lead us to who made it? Being it's from around 1963, it could be a Gregorelli & Uberti.

Love the big bead front sight. It probably got added at some point.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 17, 2013, 05:00 PM   #4
UtahHunting

Top of the barrel says Navy Arms Co Ridgefield, NJ ~Italy~
There are markings on the right side of the frame below the cylinder PN XIX (I believe the XIX is a 1963 stamp) There is a very small star above the PN and to the left of that there is a stamp that looks like it might be a crest with 2 swords crossed?
Old January 17, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Good find...

I personally don't think you paid much to much for it.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
deerslayer303

^^^ Not at all seems it costs that to take SWMBO to dinner and a movie nowdays!!
Old January 17, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
brazosdave

I got the same one. It's a Navy arms Griswold. If you look at the back of the cylinder with a magnifying glass, you should be able to see the F.L.II. Pietta diamond with the initials in it. the proof marks for mine was on the front of the cylinder, and the serial # on the side of it. At $125, you did not do bad at all. You actually got it pretty cheap! Great gun, I truly do love mine, it has been my primary shooter of Late.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
brazosdave

here's a pic of mine
Old January 17, 2013, 06:18 PM   #9
UtahHunting

Thanks for the info Brazosdave. I am looking forward to getting it out to the range. I bought some .375 round balls but they appear to be too small. Going to order some .380 since there are none sold locally.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

Be sure to let us know how accurate she is. And, I'll second Doc, you didn't pay too much for it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 17, 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
UtahHunting

Quote:
Be sure to let us know how accurate she is. And, I'll second Doc, you didn't pay too much for it.
Will be sure and do that. I ordered 200 .380 round balls today from trackofthewolf. As soon as they get here I am off to the range!
Old January 17, 2013, 10:25 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Utah - I had a Navy Arms brasser like yours only mine had a shorter round barrel - more like the "Sheriffs Model" that some mfgs. are peddling today. Mine was also .36 (I love Navy caliber) and it was a nice shooting little gun - never had a problem with it. Like an idiot though, I traded it off on a vintage 38 spl. Colt. I love the Colt but I miss the one I traded off. I think you did well on the price and you got yourself a good shooter. Congrats on your find! Enjoy and have fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 18, 2013, 03:07 PM   #13
10851Man

I absolutely LOVE the looks of a brass frame, and the G&G looks better than a '51 with the round barrel, but I stick with steel because when I go shooting, it's usually several hundred balls in one session....NICE GUN!!!!!
Old January 18, 2013, 03:13 PM   #14
brazosdave

I shot a full cabella size flask of powder through my Griswold and my Leech & Rigdon today, I only shoot 20 grns Pyrodex P so I don't think I'm causing any undo stress on the brasser. That being said, I wish the darn things wouldn't shoot so high! I'm sure there is a way to do the sights to fix that, but I guess I'm just stuck aiming about 4 inches low and to the right.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Noz

I landed on the 1860s and have never had any interest in the 51s or their copies.
Does the fact that it has a round barrel make it a G & G?
Old January 18, 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
BerdanSS

No, it's the brass frame. All of these are pretty similar and have a dragoon style barrel. Note the brass frame only on the griswold. The leech and Rigdon and Ansley are very similar to each other even more, but note mass of bolt stop positions on the Ansley over the Leech.

Leech.

Dance Bros.

Griswold&Gunnison

Ansley

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 18, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:01 PM   #17
brazosdave

brass frame, round barrel, plain cylinder.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
Does the fact that it has a round barrel make it a G & G?
No, it's the brass frame AND Dragoon (round) barrel that makes it a G&G. Schneider & Glassick had a brass frame and Octagonal barrel.

Old January 18, 2013, 08:30 PM   #19
UtahHunting

Wow....neat pictures. I would like one of each please.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:46 PM   #20
BerdanSS

Utah, did your pistol come with a brown holster by chance?
Old January 18, 2013, 09:08 PM   #21
UtahHunting

Berdann.....it did not come with a holster. Just the gun only.