The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2012, 12:24 AM   #1
kuca_2004

press won't push the primer in

I bought some bulk ammo from the local gun store. It was 500 rounds of federal ammunition. The caliber is .223 50 grain jacketed hollow point. I shot all the ammo and now I want to reload the brass. I popped out old primers and cleaned the brass. Now I want to push the primers in and reload them. However the press wont push the primers in. It starts it a little than it goes sideways. What is going on?? Can I not reload this brass??
I have the hornady lock n load ap press. I made sure I changed everything over for small rifles and I am using the small rifle primers.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

Considering your symptoms, and the fact that it's .223 cal Federal brass, I'm just about certain that you're dealing with brass that was crimped to hold the original primers in place. In order to seat new primers, you'll need to remove the crimp from around the primer pocket.

Here's an example of a piece of ring-crimped brass:

And an uncrimped primer pocket for comparison:

There are several different ways to remove the crimp - if you do a search here or on Google, you'll find all of them.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Scimmia

Are the primer pockets crimped? A lot of 5.56 ammo is. A quick google search will show pictures if you don't know what a crimped primer pocket looks like. If it is, just use your chamfor tool and remove the crimp.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:21 AM   #4
kuca_2004

Ok thank you. I thought the primer pocket looked a little different. So ya it has to be crimped.

Ok so if I use my chamfer tool what if I shave too much brass off?
Old February 17, 2012, 01:32 AM   #5
tom234

Get a primer pocket reamer or a primer pocket swager tool specifically made made for taking out the crimp.
Old February 17, 2012, 02:02 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Ok thank you. I thought the primer pocket looked a little different. So ya it has to be crimped.

Ok so if I use my chamfer tool what if I shave too much brass off?
That's what I use.
Take off just enough brass to remove the crimp. You don't want to reduce the tension in your primer pocket any more than necessary.