The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2000, 01:05 PM   #1
nedfig

Will acetone absorb soaked in oil and grease from the walnut stocks. I saw Brownells has "whiting" that you can mix with acetone to absorb the grease. Will just plain acetone take the grease out?

I sprayed Easy-Off oven cleaner on it an now it is a sickly black color. Is there any way to fix this?

thanks
Old November 7, 2000, 01:53 AM   #2
weegee

The acetone dissolves the grease/oil, and the whiting acts to absorb and hold the solution so you can remove it (the grease soaks into the whiting-or paper towels, rags, etc. and thus can be removed.)

Just putting acetone on without some external 'absorbent' will dissolve the grease, but allow it to penetrate further into the wood.

Don't have any advice on dealing with the oven cleaner; I've never tried it, but someone here can help, I'm sure. Best, weegee.
Old November 7, 2000, 08:57 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

nedfig, I wouldn't expect it to be permanent. Wrap the stock loosely in tissue paper, paper towels or the like and then wrap loosely with aluminum foil. Let the stock sit in your oven for about an hour at 100 degrees. Then remove the wrappings. Repeat as needed until the oil is out of the stock. George
Old November 7, 2000, 10:38 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

The guys on the Curio & Relics list suggest that for badly oil-soaked stocks you can use
WHITING mixed with alcohol -- or Easy Off (in the yellow can).

In the first case, it will take many applications, with the Whiting and alcohol made into a thick paste and applied, allowed to set for several hours (or longer) and then rinsed off. Before the next application, the gun should be heated with a haird dryer (to cause some of the oil to weep out), and repeated. Use a lot of paper towels or old rags. This will generally not damage the finish.

Acetone can be used, but alcohol is cheaper ($.50 a pint at the drug store) and will work with less likelihood of damage to YOU.

In the second case, using Easy Off, the finish will be removed. For the C&R guys, they just reapply boiled linseed oil (and touch it up about once a year, thereafter.)