The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Ultra12

Lyman flint lock GPR vs GPR Hunter

About to get myself my first flintlock and I decided to go with GPR. Since I am new and know very little I would like to get everyone's opinion. GPR has 1 in 60" while hunter has 1 in 32" for conical and sabots. Price is the same and it looks like hunter just has modern upgrade to shoot new projectiles. I have to contradicting thoughts one says " you are getting a flintlock stick to the original and as close to authentic "On the other hand "got to keep up with the times" what do you guys think?
Old November 10, 2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Hawg

Why do you feel the need to keep up with the times? A flintlock cries for a round ball and cringes at the thought of a conical.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:03 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd rather go with a roundball flintlock for myself. If I wanted conical, I'd go with a repro Civil War minie gun. The latter will reach out to 500 yards.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Pahoo

Keep, "In the Spirit"

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to keep up with the times? A flintlock cries for a round ball and cringes at the thought of a conical.
Pretty much covers it. Flintlocks and conicals with Sabots really don't go hand in hand. You have to define your expectations. You could shoot non-sabot conicals but PRB would be the way to go. In the end, it's entirely your call. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #5
shafter

I would definitely go with round balls for a flintlock. If I wanted something more advanced then I wouldn't be using a flinter in the first place.
Old November 27, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6
McShooty

Agreeing with all the folks who favor round balls, I will point out that you can get the GPR in .50 or .54 caliber. I have a .50 and it is just a hoot to shoot. The Lyman quality seems very good. I don't hunt but if I did I think I would get the .54 cal. I think the actual size used with a patch is about .535. This is a real punkin weighing over 200 grains and with that diameter and weight should put a deer down right well.
Old November 28, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
This is a real punkin weighing over 200 grains and with that diameter and weight should put a deer down right well.
224 grains and yes it does.
Old November 28, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Jbar4Ranch

If you want to keep up with the times, buy a scoped bolt action centerfire. If you want the experience of hunting with a flintlock, buy a GPR and shoot patched round balls.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice on the Lyman - get tapered wedges OR take a hammer & punch to the barrel underlug tennons and pinch 'em just enough to grip the stock wedges. Otherwise, you will never be able to get equal tension on both wedges and one will fall out.

SASS 47015
Old November 28, 2013, 04:02 PM   #9
44 Dave

on barrel wedges:
I slot and pin them and fit them tight but not "hammer tight".