The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 30, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
wellingtonWarwick

Target Pistol around West Palm Beach, FL ???

I have recently been introduced to pistol shooting, have got the bug and I am really keen to take up Target Pistol, but I am really struggling to find a club in the West Palm Beach area. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:13 PM   #2
spacecoast

It's quite a way from West Palm (90 minutes?), but until you are able to find something closer you are welcome to shoot at the Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club on Saturday mornings. The shooting starts at 9am sharp, but I recommend you be there by 8:30 at the latest to set up and learn the ropes. You sign in at the front gate and they will give you directions. Cost is $5. Hope you can make it.

http://www.pmrpc.com/
Old June 1, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3
wellingtonWarwick

Thank you for the invitation but at this point I have not purchased anything as I don't want to get something that then proves to be wrong for the regulations of whatever competition I can find.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
spacecoast

You can compete with just about anything you can shoot one-handed at 50 yards (not necessarily an easy thing). A barrel length of 4" or more is customary, I use a variety of long-barrel revolvers and a Ruger Mark II. A lot of folks invest in a high-$ like a S&W Model 41 (.22LR) or a higher end 1911 with adjustable sights, but they are not necessary at all. It's a great way to challenge yourself and you get to shoot 90 rounds in about 2 hours or less.
Old June 18, 2011, 12:14 PM   #5
velocette

Wellington;
In Fort Lauderdale, just south of the airport, on Stirling Road is the Hollywood Rifle & Pistol club. This is a club with many competitors, many rimfire & centerfire pistol and rimfire rifle matches to suit all levels of shooter, from beginner through High Master.
Turning targets, clubhouse etc. There is even a group that shoots on Tuesdays from the West Palm Beach area.
Go to: http://www.hrpclub.info/ for more information and requirements.

Roger