The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
TXGunNut

Free Loading Equipment!

Well, sort of. I've been too much of a hoarder to toss a single one of the new style plastic coffee "cans". With the integral handle, EZ-off lid and stackable design they're a natural for reloading. They're great for brass-ratting, brass sorting, WW storage, component storage, bulk ammo storage...you get the idea. They're big enough to hold a decent quantity but not so big as to be too heavy. Perfect camo for sneaking used WW's out of work. I just tumble lubed bullets for the first time yesterday, now have one dedicated to that. "Labeling" with a Sharpie aids in ID'ing contents, can be covered with adhesive labels as well.
Can't wait for the Folgers vs Maxwell House thread.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; June 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old June 26, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Detachment Charlie

My brother-in-law's favorite freeloading equipment is a pool float and my beer!

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old June 26, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
rdmallory

"Folgers"
"Maxwell House" The blue ones are a little better but cost 3 times as much.
Old June 26, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
rottieman33

My sister in law is great she saves all the folgers and maxwell house coffee containers for me so a can store my brass in. Then I shoot deer for her in the fall that eat her trees lol.
Old June 26, 2011, 05:18 PM   #5
wncchester

I just LOVE zip-lock bags. Full or empty, they never take up storage space by themselves and a slip of paper inside indentifies the contents without fail.
Old June 26, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
gigante

I have this addiction to the chocolate covered almonds that Costco sells. They, along with many other types of addicting snacks, come in these plastic containers with screw on lids. They stack well, will hold several hundred empty cases, and you can see through them. A strip of masking tape on the lid to identify the status of the cases inside, is what I do. Normally, un-tumbled stays in the zip lock bags. Tumbled or primed stores in these containers. I still can't decide which is more attractive, one filled with empty cases, or one filled with the chocolate almonds. Haha
Old June 26, 2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Stargazer

KFC side dish containers. Reusable, dishwasher safe, see thru, stack-able, you already bought them so might as well use them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sidedish.jpg (30.8 KB, 96 views)

M70 Web Page
Old June 26, 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
jcools

sour cream,cottage cheese,butter,etc,etc,etc.All those little plastic tubs work great
Old June 26, 2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Twinsig

De-Charlie

Wouldnt want your definition to go un-noticed, freeloading eq. Ha!
Old June 26, 2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Sarge

Happiness is... 14 pounds of 45 Colt reloads in a 3# coffee can, LOL.

Old June 26, 2011, 10:30 PM   #11
TXGunNut

Those look to be hand-cast bullets as well. You're my hero, Sarge!
Old June 27, 2011, 10:14 AM   #12
serf 'rett

Dagnabbit! The office quit getting the Folgers in the plastic "cans" and is now on Maxwell House in the cardboard junk. Of course I did get a number of the good plastic containers before they switched.

Lately found a really nifty container at Sam's Club. It's clear sided, easy on/off lid, has a handle and the lid is designed for stacking. Cost is $11.48 unless you have a cat, in which case you feed the cat the 10 pounds of Purina® Deli-Cat and the container is free. Thus far my cat has furnished me with three empties and is working on a forth. If I start shooting more, I’ll need another cat or two.
Old June 27, 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Sarge

Quote:
Those look to be hand-cast bullets as well. You're my hero, Sarge!
Not casting yet Tex, but I wish I could claim those as my own work. That's Missouri Bullet's Cowboy #1 and it is a fine bullet indeed.
Old June 27, 2011, 11:22 PM   #14
AlaskaMike

For a while we were getting Folgers coffee at work and would go through a 3 lb. can in a couple days. I grabbed about 20 of them before they switched brands. They are nice and handy.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:58 AM   #15
WyrTwister

Containers

I have used various containers , for a long time . My favorite wan was the metal coffee cans . But you all know that is a thing of the past . :-(

I try to get the plastic ones from work , plus a lady that works at a day care gave me a bunch of them . This was a contact through FreeCycle ( great internet list ) .

Another good container is the square plastic bucket that cat litter sometimes comes in . Another FreeCycle acquisition , I do not have a cat .

Then there are the soft margarine tubs and other assorted containers from the kitchen .

My late farther drank instant coffee , he bought it in the large plastic jae . He saved the empties . I use the ones that he left .

Remember , you are delaying this stuffs trip to the land fill .

God bless
Wyr
Old July 1, 2011, 03:12 PM   #16
Wag

Our company has been using the Folgers coffee in the plastic tubs as shown above. I only had room for a couple dozen of 'em but every time a tub empties out here, it galls me to throw it away!

Folgers also has a smaller version which looks identical and has the same size lid but is half as high. Great for other odds and ends without changing the look of things, if that matters to you.

--Wag--
Old July 1, 2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Fox1

Personally, I like the 1 pound sized "cans."

Old July 1, 2011, 05:19 PM   #18
okiefarmer

Inflation or deflation,take your pick, reduced those 1# "cans" to 13 ounces some time backthere Fox1. I think this last round of cost cutting my manufacturers (read package downsizng to fool the customer/shopper) might have even reduced them more yet.

In just a few more years we won't be able to get but a couple loaded rounds in each can, ha.
Old July 3, 2011, 03:09 PM   #19
sc928porsche

Plastic! I dont need no stinkin plastic! Got them old metal ones with the plastic see through lids. 1lb, 2lb, and 5lb. You fellers are just too modern fer me. ( Dadgum whippersnappers).
Old July 4, 2011, 06:24 PM   #20
Wag

I wish *I* had some of those old metal cans!

--Wag--
Old July 4, 2011, 07:18 PM   #21
TXGunNut

I keep a rusty old metal can around for smelting day, good for clips and trash. Wouldn't want to melt a hole in one of those newfangled plastic ones.
Old July 4, 2011, 07:44 PM   #22
Wag

Exactly what I need it for!

--Wag--