The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
spanboy

Help!!

I was working up 40 30-06 cases this afternoon and set the primers. After I set the primers, I noticed that they were Winchester Large Pistol and not large rifle even though they came out of a full box labeled as Large Rifle. All the primers in the box are Large Pistol. Can these be used in the 30-06 cases or should I punch them out and use large rifle primers?
Old March 14, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
mkl

Best punch them out and put in the large rifle.

The pistol primers have thinner cup material, and you could run the danger of a primer blow back and gas release when they (the large pistol) are subjected to 30-06 chamber pressures.

Punch out slowly and save. They will work in your large pistol loads.
Old March 14, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

Ditto
Old March 14, 2009, 09:05 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Welcome to TFL....and the world of reloading. Glad you realized the mistake!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 14, 2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Doby45

How could you tell they were large pistol primers if they came out of a box that said large rifle primers? Or are you saying you pulled a sleeve of primers out of your large rifle primer case and then after you primed the brass you looked on the sleeve that covers the pack of 100 and saw that it said "Large Pistol" even though that sleeve came out of the large rifle case?
Old March 15, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
spanboy

Re: Large pistol primers.

Many thanks for the replies. I carefully punched out the pistol primers and used the correct large rifle primers. I will use the pistol primers in what they were intended for. The large pistol primers came out of a box that said large rifle primers on the outside. I did not look at the pack of 100 that they were in until I had loaded 40 30-06 shells. I then noted that all the packs of 100 in that box that said large rifle primers on the outside were indeed large pistol primers. I then wrote all over that box as to what they really were. I will not make that mistake again. Again, thanks for the replies and keeping me straight on this matter.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Glad you found the mistake before firing them. Chances are you wouldn't have had a problem, but why take chances when so much is at stake.

I'm curious though how the sleeves of WLP's got into a box labeled for rifle primers. Your mistake or Winchester's?

The pellet in a WLP is sort of a dirty yellow color. What color is in the WLP's you have and in the large rifle primers? What brand are the rifle primers?
Old March 15, 2009, 03:12 PM   #8
spanboy

The primers were/are a yellow color. They are Winchester mfg. How they got in there is beyond me. I suspect that I may have put them there but for reasons unknown. In any case however, the box has been relabeled as to what it has in it. I suspected that I could get away with using them but why chance it. I do know ( as well as eneryone else) that primers are almost impossible to get. I have 15,000 Wolf LP primers on the way but noticed that my LR primers are getting fewer and fewer. However, I do have 5.000 CCI #34 primers and will use those as I am loading for my Garands. Love those Garands. It has been years since I last reloaded and now that I am retired, my free time is in abundance and will be reloading a lot.