The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 30, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1
hornetguy

Ruger Bisleys

I've read a lot of articles about how the Bisley grip absorbs recoil better, feels better, yada, yada... some of the articles by shooters I respect highly, like Ross Seyfried.
What's the consensus from you guys that have shot them? I am thinking about a .41 mag with a 5 1/2" barrel... Is it worth it to pay the slightly higher cost, or is it not that much better in a moderately recoiling cartridge like the .41?
I've held them, but never shot one.
Old June 30, 2012, 03:18 PM   #2
giaquir

Is this the Accusport bisley?
I have one 45 colt and the recoil
is more of a push than anything.
Heavy gun.
Old June 30, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
timothy75

In my experience they feel good in the hand but thats about it. They dont enable me to shoot tighter groups or anything.
Old June 30, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

It's somewhat subjective, of course.

A friend of mine who hunts with heavy cast bullet loads is a big Bisley fan. He maintains that the Ruger Bisley grip frame is the best revolver (DA or SA) for heavy magnum loads.

I have New Vaqueros with the standard "plowhandle" grips and a Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Special. Between the two I'd definitely prefer the Bisley for heavy loads.

When you compare to the other Blackhawks and the Super Blackhawk it is a closer choice.
Old June 30, 2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I think the standard Blackhawk grip on the full size frames is the best for taming recoil. They roll up in the hand better than the Bisley for me.
Old June 30, 2012, 11:20 PM   #6
hornetguy

I've had a few Blackhawks, including an original flattop .44 mag (ouch ) I used to shoot some pretty heavy loads in my 7 1/2" .45 Colt Blackhawk, and it rolled in the hand pretty briskly. Had to do a "death grip" on it to keep it from standing straight up, but that didn't help accuracy much.

With the .41, I might just go with a regular Blackhawk. The only .41 I've ever had was a 5 1/2" Redhawk, and I loved it. Wish I still had it, but I traded it off in a moment of stupidity.
Old July 1, 2012, 01:29 AM   #7
tahoe2

saw a .41 mag Redhawk at a local gun show today, 7-1/2" stainless, & pachmayers; it was in very good shape and appeared to be fired very little, $725.
I'm looking for the 5-1/2" blue RH, but I do have a .41 Blackhawk 4-5/8" and a .41 S&W Mtn Gun 4". The BH rolls better under recoil, but the Mtn Gun has a better trigger!
Never shot a Bisley gripped gun, would like to try one though!
Old July 1, 2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Slopemeno

I was really unsure when Ruger brought out the Bisley grip frame- until I shot one. IMHO really superior. It also brings the hammer down close to your thumb for quick cocking. I bought two.

I've shot one in .44 mag, and have my two in .45 Colt. All are 5 1/2".
Old July 1, 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Hawg

I had an old Vaquero Bisley. I didn't like it.
Old July 2, 2012, 01:59 PM   #10
hornetguy

Guess I need to research difference in weight, since it appears the Bisleys have non-fluted cylinders.

Like I said, I used to have a 5 1/2" Redhawk that I carried when I was deer hunting. It was noticeable on my hip, but not oppressive. It was a cream-puff to shoot... I had put the shallow v "express" sights on it with a gold bead front.
Over 700 bucks is a little pricey for my current financial situation. I remember thinking that $399 dollars for a brand new Redhawk was outrageous, when I bought the three I used to own... which ought to tell you how long ago it was that I had them.
Wish I still had the .357 one, just for the novelty of it. It was like shooting a .22, recoil wise.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:12 PM   #11
temmi

I too am torn.

I have a NM Blackhawk 45 Colt.

I have been shooting full power (45 Colt not Ruger only) loads, 250g bullets at 1000+ ft/sec and have no problem with control.

My next BH was gonna be a Bisley but now I’m not as sure.

Next week I will shoot some Ruger only loads and we shall see.

Snake
Old July 2, 2012, 09:33 PM   #12
McShooty

Why not believe Ross Seyfried? I venture he knows more than I and has more experience and print in the shooting press than most anyone who replies here. My own two cents: The Bisley grip is superior to the Black Hawk, for me mainly because is accommodates my hand better. And my hand is only slightly above average size.
Old July 2, 2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Nanuk

I have had several rugers, by far my favorite is the SBH Bisley 44 magnum. I have large hands.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:33 AM   #14
drail

The Bisley grip IS superior to the original Colt plow handle grip if the gun is chambered in anything that generates recoil. The .44 Spl., .44-40 and .45 Colt don't generate any recoil IMO. The original Colt SA grip causes the gun to roll up in your hand and places the hammer back under your thumb for quick recocking. With a Magnum cartridge this is not what you want. I shot a Blackhawk in .41 Mag for a couple of years and it would take the skin off of your palm no matter what kind of grips I put on it or even with leather gloves. I sold it and found a Bisley and the difference was like night and day. I can now shoot as much handloaded .41 Mag. rounds as I want in complete comfort. The Bisley grip is much closer to the grip design of a modern S&W revolver and directs the recoil force straight back into your hand without rolling the gun up.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:36 AM   #15
Nathan

I have shot heavy loads in the Bisley and Super SA grip frame. . .I much prefer the Bisley. . .less blood!
Old July 3, 2012, 08:45 AM   #16
thickice

Just an observation, I own 3 Ruger Bisleys, an original vaquero, a new vaquero, and a single six. The grip frames on all 3 are the same size.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #17
hornetguy

Quote:
Why not believe Ross Seyfried?
Oh, I do. He's as close to a true "guru" as I've ever found, when it comes to big-bore handguns and bullet casting. He's the one author that I don't question when he says something.
I also remember that in his article, he was shooting LARGE loads... designed to emulate the penetration from a large bore rifle. I just thought that with the lesser-recoiling .41 mag, would it be necessary..

On a side note.... I got to hold a 4" Redhawk last night.... I think I'm in love...
Old July 3, 2012, 11:14 AM   #18
rclark

IMO, where the Bisley comes into play is with hard kicking revolvers. It does help with recoil (at least I think so). If you are shooting .38s, .357, .44Spec, and .45 Colt (not ROL), the Bisley doesn't really matter much and becomes just a 'personal' preference. I have a Lipsey Bisley .44Spec flattop that I bought just to compare against a standard Lipsey .44spec flattop ... both have 5 1/2" barrels. I have fired standard, Skeeter, and Keith loads in them. Again, recoil (to me) seems to be pushed back more in your hand with the Bisley, instead of rolling in the hand with standard grip. I don't shoot any 'better' with either. That is my simple observation. I'd be satisfied with either grip, but prefer the standard if I have a choice.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:46 AM   #19
elrotundamundo

I used to have a Super Blackhawk 44 mag. years ago and preferred the stock plow handle grips since the roll-up made cocking the hammer for the next shot more convenient. My pinky rested under the grip. Now I have a standard Blackhawk in 45 Colt and the stock grips are perfect for standard 45 Colt loads but not good for really heavy loads. I sometimes shoot John Linebaugh's heaviest loads with 260 grain bullets and with the stock grips, the trigger guard smacks my middle knuckle something fierce. I got a set of Hogue grips which fill in the area behind the trigger guard as well as provide a larger grip with a better gripping surface. I can handle the Linebaugh loads easily now. The Hogues are ugly IMO but I guess pretty is as pretty does. Not sure how much extra the Bisley frame is but the Hogues go for less than $20.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:58 PM   #20
newfrontier45

Most shooters will find the Bisley to be more comfortable with heavy loads. There is a very good reason why 99% of custom five-shot .45Colt, 475 and .500 revolvers are built with the Bisley grip frame. It works. Some gunsmiths won't even build them on anything else.

The Bisley grip is also less sensitive to grip variations than the plowhandle.

That said, the factory grips are atrocious. They scream for custom stocks. Some like them thinner, some like them thicker. Either way they should be well-fitted and rounded, with very little taper.
Old July 4, 2012, 07:05 AM   #21
jtmckinney

I bought the Blackhawk 45 Convertible. I was in love with the convertible part of the gun. I am still having fun with every part of this firearm butt if I had it to do over again knowing what I know today I probably would have went with the 45 Colt Bisley. After reading John Lindbaugh's articles how could you not wany a Bisley. My Convertible will be passed down to future generations of McKinney's but there may also be a Bisley that gets passed down.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old July 4, 2012, 11:46 AM   #22
Jim March

Maybe this will help a bit...

I shoot a Ruger NewVaq with the standard XR3 grip frame (very similar to a Colt SAA) in 357. With very, very stout recoil loads (very high end 125s, up past 700ft/lbs energy) the gun feels controllable one-handed - but only barely. Even then I shaved off a lot of the grip checkering to make that combination work.

Two-handed, no problem. But a handgun should be controllable one-handed - it's not preferred in my book but it's necessary in a pinch.

The ergonomics of my gun were designed for about 400ft/lbs energy max and with slow-burn powder (holy black) for less of a sudden blast effect. The design is excellent and can be pushed to about double that horsepower with no problems, at least in my hands.

But at some point past that, the ergonomics do need to be updated. The Ruger Bisley seems a reasonable approach to doing so .
Old July 4, 2012, 08:09 PM   #23
Sharpsdressed Man

I've grown to mentally block out recoil for the most part, although shooting guns that are painful WILL eventually get to me (or anyone tht is honest about it). I have owned and shot Ruger Bisley's in .45 Colt and .44 Mag, and fired a .500 Linebaugh with 440gr bullets made by John himself, and the Bisley grip is superior for control and "pain reduction". True, a .41 won't be as bad as some of the heavier calibers and loadings, but the Bisley can be translated as "half roll, half push", not a rolling recoiling gun like the standard single action grip, yet not as "web wacking" as DA revolver with stiff recoil, like a S&W 29 with the old S&W target grips, or Redhawk with small wood grips, etc. I just like the LOOKS of the old SAA style grip, so I currently shoot a Ruger Flattop .44 Mag with the grip similar to the Colt SAA, It wangs me with full loads, but if I wanted to just go with practical instead of looks, I'd definitely recommend the Bisley grip for more control, faster recovery, and less pain with heavy loads.

Last edited by Sharpsdressed Man; July 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old July 4, 2012, 09:20 PM   #24
hornetguy

Thanks to all for the valuable real-life experience. I imagine I will look for the Bisley Blackhawk.. but won't feel terribly mistreated if all I can manage is the regular Blackhawk.
Old July 7, 2012, 03:05 PM   #25
Keg

Hornet...My 44 mag bisley is very accurate and comfortable to shoot....I used to have a super Blackhawk...I prefer the bisley...
Were'nt Colt bisley's target guns?

Last edited by Keg; April 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM.