The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 2, 2011, 12:46 AM   #1
soren57

kevlar

I know you guys are wondering *** why are you talking about kevlar and heres my answers, BECAUSE YOU GUYS ROCK AND YOU GUYS ARE THE EXPERTS ON FIREARMS !!!!!! Any ways now my question, how many layers of kevlar would it take to protect the user from pistol calibers (9x19, 45 acp ,5.7x28 , 357 mag, 44 mag you get the idea). You may be thinking why just buy a vest that is already bullet resistant? And know the answers, I had a great friend who was a survivalist and was a vet and so he had alot of military surplus stuff. Well he has passed now (god rest his soul) and left me his house and everything within it. I came to clean out the house and i found about 150 feet of olive drab kevlar. So i got the idea to make a vest for protection. And that comes to the question, how many layers of kevlar would it take to protect me from pistol ammunition and shot gun shells (buckshot/slug). And yes i know, in some cases its not the bullet that kills ya but the Kinetic energy behind the projectile.

as always thanks for the time in answering my question
Old July 2, 2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Kevin Rohrer

My Estimates

Pistol ammo and shot <1100fps: 1/4"
Pistol ammo and shot 1100-1400fps: 1/2"
Pistol ammo and shot >1400-1500: 3/4"
Over that probably requires hard armor

And good luck cutting it. You will see what I mean when you try.

If you have a need for body armor, you are better off getting a commercial vest that is rated for what you want to stop.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old July 2, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I came to clean out the house and i found about 150 feet of olive drab kevlar. So i got the idea to make a vest for protection. And that comes to the question, how many layers of kevlar would it take to protect me from pistol ammunition and shot gun shells (buckshot/slug).
You know, I have never seen colored kevlar bolts of fabric. So you have 150 feet by how wide?

Kevin's answers are probably pretty good without knowing more about the weave and the original fiber sizes being used. Not all kevlar is created equal when it comes to ballistic protection (and are you sure it isn't just ballistic nylon?).

Buy yourself a decent vest. If you really do have 150 feet x ____ amount of kevlar material, save it for some sort of specialty needs. Maybe you want to put down a bunch of layers and line your driver's side door interior panel?

Kevin is also right about cutting it. Good luck. They us lasers now because of how quickly it dulls metal tools.
Old July 2, 2011, 05:28 PM   #4
9-ball

Quote:
9x19, 45 acp ,5.7x28 , 357 mag, 44 mag you get the idea
Level III-A body armour, which stops all mentioned rounds except the 5.7x28mm requires 24 to 28 layers of kevlar. As for the 5.7x28, good luck stopping the armour piercing munition, it goes up to 48 layers kevlar, and penetrates CRISAT body armour (20 layers kevlar + 1.6mm titanium) up to 300 meters.

Besides, I agree with the others, if you want a vest, buy a commercial one, maybe use the kevlar on your car doors.
Old July 2, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
soren57

yea I have had it check out and its real. Funny thing is its so hard to cut and just to answer your question it was a kinda greenish color and its about 6 feet wide thanks for the info tho guys
Old July 2, 2011, 05:56 PM   #6
soren57

and i might as well use it for the car door idea XD
Old July 3, 2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Slopemeno

You can sell it. Go to a composites supplier and price it.

BTW bulletproof vests aren't *just* kevlar.