The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2000, 02:41 PM   #1
Wofferdo

I have used one of these for 8 years now and love it, used it on Browns, Elk, Mule deer, even 3 big Whitetails all with a Swift A- Frame 400 grain. I handle the rifle very well and very confident with it, after hearing how tough and strong willed African game is will it be enough or should I try a 458 and keep shots under 200 yards if I need to go with a 458. Any comments are appreciated.
Old June 7, 2000, 03:38 PM   #2
MAD DOG

One of my good friends has taken everything in Africa with the .416 Rem Mag on five different trips since 1998, and swears by it.
I trust his judgement.

I know for a fact that he took Cape buf, Kudu, Oryx, Eland, Lion, and several gazzelles and zebra with the same rifle.
The first Cape took two rounds, but his first Lion was a "bonus", as the round penetrated it, and killed one lying in the grass behind it. Two lions with one round.
Although the shot was not intended to do that, it is a good thging that it did. the trackers were unaware of the second lion, and were moving in to check the first after the shot... lucky for them #2 was dead as well.
I saw the pictures, and a letter from the PH ascertaining it.
Use the right bullets for the job, and it should do the trick
Old June 7, 2000, 06:12 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I know only from reading: The majority of all comments about guns in this performance category is that bullet design is the most important part of the deal.

Apparently, the biggest problem is bullets coming all apart and not penetrating deeply enough or not breaking heavy bones.

FWIW, Art
Old June 8, 2000, 02:59 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>. I handle the rifle very well and very confident with it.[/B][/quote]

You have the most important part down pat. The Swift is an excellent bullet - however, if your going for Buff, Elephant or Hippo, you need to take a look at a good solid.

If it's a plains game hunt (no buff or lion) you could go with a smaller caliber. IMHO, .338 is wonderful, but a light rifle (&gt;.338) will do. Just use good bullets.

BTW, the .458 has a distinct resembalance to a shotgun. You have to be pretty close. OK stopper, but not as flat shooting as I would want for a GP rifle.

Giz