The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 21, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
steamer966

Carrying in Philly with a Utah Non Resident

First, let me start out with I live in NJ.(probably my first mistake when it comes to firearm ownership)

Anyway, I have a Utah Non Resident CCW, but I am confused on PA's law. Am I still allowed to carry in PA with the Utah CCW, even though NJ has not issued (probably never issue me) a CCW Permit to me. I have my Permit to own and purchase hand guns in NJ.

Secondly, with that being said, would I be able to obtain a PA Non Resident permit, being that I have the Utah permit?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Old September 21, 2012, 10:25 AM   #2
ChuckS

Quote:
Am I still allowed to carry in PA with the Utah CCW, even though NJ has not issued (probably never issue me) a CCW Permit to me. I have my Permit to own and purchase hand guns in NJ?
Yes, Pennsylvania does have reciprocity with Utah and it does not matter that you, the license holder, is not a resident of that state (Utah). [See cite below] BTW, don't expect any particular LEO to know that PA and Utah have reciprocity.

Quote:
Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

Quote:
Secondly, with that being said, would I be able to obtain a PA Non Resident permit, being that I have the Utah permit?
No. Pennsylvania requires that you have pemit, if available, from your home state. See statute below

Quote:
A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. ยง 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Last edited by ChuckS; September 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:43 AM   #3
steamer966

Great Info

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 23, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Slow your roll...

I'd hold up a bit before you start packing heat at Pat's or Geno's, .
To my limited knowledge, the city of Philadephia is considered EXEMPT from regular PA gun laws/statues. Handguns or carry licenses may be allowed in PA except for the city limits of Philadephia.
I'd check with the state's AG office or the PA State Police HQ in Harrisburg.
If you are a NJ resident with a "Utah" carry permit, I'm sure some police officer or trooper may jam you up over it.
The sworn LE officers in my area no longer have any formal in-service training with the state's Div of Licensing. Few of them know all the related gun laws & permit-license requirements. The Div of Licensing cut the funding about 3 years ago.

CF
www.gunlawguide.com www.handgunlaw.us
Old September 23, 2012, 12:53 PM   #5
MLeake

I think the Philly exemption is solely with regards to open carry. OC is legal throughout PA for anybody who may legally own a firearm. In Philly, open carry is only legal for permit holders. At least, that is my understanding.

The websites linked by ClydeFrog are useful. You can also check http://www.pafoa.org/

Better yet, consult a Pennsylvania attorney.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:26 AM   #6
A/C Guy

Quote:
Better yet, consult a Pennsylvania attorney.
Better yet, send an email to the Pennsylvania state attorney general's office, then print that reply and keep it with you while traveling. Also, post it on here.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:22 PM   #7
langenc

Just stay out of Philly and you will be fine. Why go where you are not wanted?

I guess if you have family you have to go there once a year or so.
Old October 22, 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
mete

I'm confused here as I'm in the process of renewing my PA permit . For a CCW you must have an UNrestricted carry permit from your state of residence ! How can you do that if you don't have a carry permit for NJ ?

PA now has a very nice castle doctrine law which even protects visiters ! Nice state !
Old October 22, 2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Ajtozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete View Post
I'm confused here as I'm in the process of renewing my PA permit . For a CCW you must have an UNrestricted carry permit from your state of residence ! How can you do that if you don't have a carry permit for NJ ? !
You don't. I see you're from NY so you're best bet is a FL or Utah carry permit.