The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
rrp

chargemaster question

I have just started using my chargemaster scale and dispenser. I am loading 43 gr of Varget for my 308. When the dispenser slowes down and trickles the last few gr. a few exra granules of powder sometimes drop into the tray. The reading goes to 43.1 or as high as 43.4 at times. I'm still under the max load range but am wondering if this will make too much difference as far as accuracy groups,or am I worrying too much? I've been tweeking these overages to get the exact 43 gr but it seems I am defeating the purpose of the chargemaster, to easy my time and effort. Am I being too fussy? Thanks in advance.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Sam06

Set the weight lower than you want, maybe 42.8gr and use the trickle function to get the last .2gr in the pan. It is almost as quick. The stick powders do not meter as well as ball form anything but I like them better than ball. Hope that helps...............Sam
Old January 8, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3
GoldenRoyBoy

Good question!

You are going to get overages with your CM. I suggest keeping a plastic scoop handy; I use one of Lee's. You can purchase an entire set for a little over $10.

I also suggest keeping your charges consistant. If 43.1 works for you; keep all loads at 43.1. You can set you machine to dispense a little less. Once it is done, you can tap gently on the dispenser's spout; using the plastic dipper.

Good luck,
GRB
Old January 8, 2009, 03:19 PM   #4
nosualc

rrp,

I have the chargemaster, and also use varget for my .308 (although I settled on 44.0gr IIRC). Should be apples to apples.

I too have had 0.1gr overages, but they are very rare (eg - 1 out of 200?) and never more than 0.1gr. When this happens I usually just dump it back in the hopper and dispense again.

This is grasping at straws, but is your chargemaster on a level and solid surface? Is the air still (is there a heat register, ceiling fan, drafty window, etc. nearby)?

Another thing I do out of habit is that when I first pour a powder in, I dispense an arbitrary large amt, (like 100gr) a couple of times, which I pour back into the hopper. I have no scientific basis, but I think it gets things good and settled in for consistency. Then I have it dispense the charge I'm looking for.

You could also call RCBS and ask for guidance. They're reputed to have very good customer service (I've never personally needed to call them).

Good luck!

-nosualc
Old January 8, 2009, 05:14 PM   #5
GoldenRoyBoy

Question

I came back to ask; are you using the AUTO dispense feature? It's rather ingenious. As you remove the powder pan, loaded with charge, then replace it empty upon the platen the machine remembers your load, dispensing another load of powder.

Also, it's very important to calibrate your machine each and every time you use it. I catch myself watching the scale as I remove a loaded pan. You'll notice the machine reads a negative weight. It's the weight of your empty pan; one of mine generally reads 168.7 oz. If this reading begins reading erratic, I re-calibrate. If after replacing an empty pan upon the platen, your machine fails to go to zero almost immediately, either you have something on your pan, or platen. Or, you may need to re-calibrate. Be careful removing the platen; watching for grains of powder falling from the feed tube. I make it a habit to keep a spare ear plug handy, sticking it into the feed tube's discharge hole before removing the platen. You don't want anything getting in that hole.

GRB
Old January 9, 2009, 12:18 PM   #6
buffdriver

Here's a tip that I have collected on the overthrow issue:
Use a McDonald’s Straw to Reduce “Over-Throws”
Jaco Brink provided another useful tip to avoid “over-throws” (excess charge weight): “The RCBS employee advised me to take a McDonnell’s straw (because it is thicker than a normal straw), cut off about a half inch piece and put it into the tube where the powder exits. This caused the last part of an extruded powder to clutter less, and reduced the amount of overthrows dramatically.”
I have a new chargemaster and have noticed the same thing using 4064 powder. I recently loaded 60 rounds and had about 20 that went over. I must admit that I haven't tried this trick yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

Let us know how it works!

BuffDriver
Old January 9, 2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Calif-Mini

Chargemaster question

Hey- that straw idea sounds like it could work, I am going to give it a try-can't cost much.

Or do what "nosualc" said-------just dump it back and measure a fresh charge. You will have a charge of 42.95 to 43.05 gr when you do if you only use the charges that read 43.0 gr. As you are trying to measure as accurate as possible, this is the best this measure can provide. Which is pretty good and is easy to use. Should be good enough even for the pickiest loader.

I do not know how accurate the top end "Benchrest" shooters are and if anyone knows I would like to hear.

Ed Roberts