The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2001, 05:42 AM   #1
yankytrash

Removing Petina From Live Rounds

Any suggestions here? Found these in my late stepfather's basement. Brand new in the box from Korea.

They're 5.56, but only gun I have in that caliber is an SP1 with no forward assist. I'd hate for them to get stuck.

Got about 400 rounds to remove petina from. Some are worse than others.

Here's a pic:
Old July 16, 2001, 07:20 AM   #2
critter44

CAUTION!!!!!! Those that are corroded MUST NOT be fired whether or not you remove the patina. The corrosion GREATLY weakens the brass case and to fire them is inviting a VERY EXCITING EVENT! (This is the voice of experience here!) High pressure gasses can (will!) burn through dumping high pressure gas into the rifle action and out every vent, crevice, cranny and hole in it.

To clean for display, you might try very fine steel wool.
Old July 16, 2001, 10:19 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Best trash 'em- - -

Yankytrash,
I have to agree with critter44 about the ammo you illustrate. (Nice mage, by the way.)

I've tried various ways to reclaim badly tarnished/corroded/fouled brass, and it had seldom worked out. What you show is serious corrosion, rather than a patina, which is usually just a discoloration. Any time there is so much corrosion present, there is almost invariably pitting below it, which seriously weakens the brass. As critter 44 indicates, can cause things to become "real western."

In my various experiments with this kinda stuff, I've been VERY glad of good eye protection a couple of times.

The best counsel I can offer is to take your inertia bullet puller, remove the bullets, carefully dispose of the powder and primed brass. Please, RESIST the temptation to recycle the powder and primers--Conside both contaminated and unreliable.

If the bullets are not too corroded, you might want to tumble or vibrate them and use them in plinking loads.

I hate to waste ammo or compolnents, but .223 brass is too plentiful and cheap to take risks.

Best wishes--
Johnny
Old July 16, 2001, 10:45 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I agree with Critter 100%.

If the case has more than just a little "blush" on it, it's not a good idea to fire it.

Sort the cases, and any with anything other than a VERY light speckling should be discarded.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 16, 2001, 11:25 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Due to the high nitrogen content, old powder is good for the garden.......spread it thinly tho, even carrotts don't do well with overdoses of speed.

Sam
Old July 16, 2001, 12:39 PM   #6
yankytrash

Errrrrrrrrgh... I hate the truth, but I suspected that. I guess, since it's 400 rounds, I could break out my ol' WHAKO!-style bullet puller (remember those? the hammer with the hole drilled inside it?). No sense in wasting good plinker bullets.

Wasting 400 rounds is better than wasting a $1200 gun and unreplacable eyeballs.

I might try that gunpowder-fertilizer idea - my tomatoes love nitrogen. When the wife asks me what I'm doing -I'll tell her I'm making TOMATO BOMBS. That oughta git'r off my back awhile....
Old July 17, 2001, 10:02 PM   #7
Contender

Man, that's a real shame!

You might want to get one of those collet type pullers as you will be able to move along a lot quicker than the inertia type. It'll get real "old" real fast hammering 400 rounds. Ugh! If they are military it's a good chance there may be some varnish/asphalt on the bullet necks. Will be a little tough to hammer out such a light bullet with varnish/asphalt sealing.

Regards
Old July 18, 2001, 12:36 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Sealant at case necks

Good point, Contender, about the sealant.

If these are factory cartridges, the pulling job, with either inertia or collet puller, will be made easier if you "bump" the bullets just slightly deeper into the case. This breaks the asphaltum bond, and is accomplished by simply turning your seating stem in about one full turn.

BTW--If you have some old military ammo that's fit to shoot, but is more than a few years old, accuracy can be improved by this "bumping" process. It "unglues" the bullets from the case necks and makes for more uniform bullet pull. CAUTION, however: Seat the bullets only about 1/16 inch deeper. I use about 1/4 turn of the seating stem, but your setting might vary.

I've done this old military match shooter's trick only with 7.62 x 51 mm military ball and match ammo, never with .223 or 5.56 military.

Best regards,
Johnny