The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
sharpshooter17

Intratec CAT9 ?s

Hello all this is my first post i have been reading through some of the forums here lately.

I have some questions regaring an upcomming purchase. I found a Intratec CAT 9 at a local pawn shop. The price is right and I just wanted to ask what to look for when purchasing one of these used. Also any info regarding the owners manual would be great as this one comes with out the original case or owners manual. It does however come with a holster and 2 mags. I have read here something about the frames cracking any info on this would be great. Also could this be a 9mm or a 9x18 how would i tell the difference? This gun will be used for a variety of things plinking, Carry, and Home defense smaller than my 28" barell shotgun. Any sugestions on ammo type would be nice as well. Is there any easy modifications to do that would make this a beter gun? I have read that most people do not like this gun.

I do hope that one member Old Iron Sights replies to this post as from what i have read so far he is very knowledgable of this gun and has several of his own.

Thanks
Old September 4, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
sharpshooter17

I would like to add that i plan to purchase this within the next week. So quick replies would be great.
Old September 4, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
old_ironsights

The CAT-9 is a 9mm Luger. It's clearly marked on the right side of the frame. Intratec also made CAT-9's in .380 and, my favorite, the .45 acp.

The CAT's are realitively inexpensive, but well-designed by Nehemiah Sirkis and were manufactured from quality materials for Intratec. The are light, narrow, small, totally snag-free, and making them ideal for concealed-carry. They were designed for close-in self-defense. The channel sight is entirely adequate for it's intended purpose.

CAT's are DAO and, since that's the only 'safety', have a heavier trigger. The trigger can easily be softened by modifying the striker.

Cracking anything on the CAT-9 would require repeated use of custom loaded, non-standard ammuntion, or abuse by failure to clean and lube.

CAT's easily break down into their smallest components.

Old September 4, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
dairycreek

I bought an Intratec CAT 9 in the late 1980's. Polymer frames were the "new thing" and the price was certainly right. It was a 9mm pistol and seemed to fit my needs at the time. I had not put too many rounds through it until a small hairline crack appeared in the polymer and I took it back to the gunshop who promptly replaced it with new one.

Not many more rounds and, once again, the cracks in the polymer appeared. This time the gunshop sent it back to the factory (or importer as the case may be) and it was promptly replaced.

Same deal though. A few rounds and the cracks appeared and I just gave up. I had not thought of the gun until I saw this thread and kind of assumed that the gun was no longer produced.

I would assume that polymer technology has improved since the 80's but can't tell for sure. Based only on my experience I would not buy another one.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old September 5, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
old_ironsights

dairycreek, I've dealt in hundreds of Intratec CAT's and I've never seen one crack. Even in Intratec's DAO .38 derringer.

You got my attention, however. Where were the cracks on the CAT-9 you saw?
Old September 5, 2009, 12:25 PM   #6
sharpshooter17

How would someone lighten the triger on said gun? Also I read in another thread that one individual polished the ramp is this benificial and can it be easily done at home? One last thing ammo, i read that these guns will only reliably load ball ammo, it this the case or can i get flatpoints or hollowpoints? Will the polished ramp help load these other type of ammo?

Thanks for the replies so far verry informative.

old ironsights do u have any extra cases and or owners manuals that i could purchase from u later once i get this gun?
Old September 5, 2009, 12:31 PM   #7
dairycreek

old ironsights

It has been so long since I owned that gun my aging, fading memory is not terribly clear on the details. Be that as it may, I remember the cracks appeared near the slide stop and near the metal tab upon which the gun's serial number was attached to the polymer frame. At the time I assumed that the cracks were caused by the slide hitting against the slide stop. However, that was just my assumption and nothing more. Hope this helps some.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old September 5, 2009, 05:35 PM   #8
old_ironsights

You can polish the feed ramp with steel wool. Mirror finishes are not required. The proximity of the ammunition in the magazine to the feed ramp is such that most all factory ammunition will feed reliably.

Softening the trigger requires disassembly of the weapon and smoothing of all trigger/bar contact surfaces.

Disassemble the striker spring assembly. It simply screws into the back plate, but may be difficult. I find it easier to depress the spring, grab the threaded guide-rod with soft-jaw pliars and turn the backplate.

Clip the spring 1 round at a time 'til you have the 'ideal' compromise of dependability and feel.

When you do the final re-assembly, be sure to use 'Locktite' or something similiar on the threaded part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg striker spring disassembly 002.jpg (228.1 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg striker spring disassembly 005.jpg (234.7 KB, 474 views)

Last edited by old_ironsights; September 5, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old September 6, 2009, 05:50 PM   #9
_W_

Never heard of CAT9's. But Intratec has a reputation...kind of a bad one. I know they make Tec-9's, a gun thats kinda known for its gang affiliation but I've also been told that Tec-9s jam alot and tend to blow up in the shooter's hands.

But 28 parts including the magazine. On paper thats better than a Glock!
Old September 6, 2009, 07:31 PM   #10
old_ironsights

The CAT's are entirely different animals than the faux-auto weapons manufactured by Intratec. Those 'assault style' weapons were designed by George Kellgren, now owner of Kel-Tec.

Ironically, it may be that being merchandized by Intratec is what led to the demise of the CAT's, the DAO .38 derringer and the Protec, a CZ-45 clone.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:58 PM   #11
RAILMAN

Trouble with my cat 9

Any ideas: the fire pin looks to be out to far so I have trouble chambering first round from the clip, when I do get it in the chamber it fires but it will not auto a new round - I bought this used and was only able to shoot one clip - I alway had a problem chambering the first round and adjusted the screw in the back so I could chamber the round but then it would not semi-auto - adjusted it back but now have problems both ways - can I get parts any where?
Old September 9, 2009, 08:05 AM   #12
old_ironsights

IMO, what you've described dictates that you start with a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning. (Check attachment)

The distal end of the firing pin (40040) must be removed so the entire channel can be cleaned. Spraying cleaner down the channel from either or both ends won't do it.

Part # 40040 is a bit tricky to re-install. I knotch the rear slightly with a dremel so I can use a screwdriver to turn it correctly. Don't let that spook you. It's a very logical process, start to finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firing Pin.JPG (21.6 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by old_ironsights; September 9, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Superhouse 15

Spare parts are unavailable and it's out of production so if you do break a part or have a problem you are out of luck.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:43 AM   #14
old_ironsights

That's not true, superhouse. Parts are available. You do list members a disservice with your uninformed comments.

One does have to search a bit, but they're available. Sources abound.

I've completed a number of CAT's with spare parts found in the internet.

Last edited by old_ironsights; September 9, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:23 PM   #15
RAILMAN

Trouble with my cat 9

Ironsight

Thanks for your assistance -- the gun has been obviously carried a great deal no blue steel any more. I bought it from a coworker due to its size and the price was right. It's seriel number is in the 03xxx.

Looks like I have not broke it down far enough - got down to the 400101 part and like you guessed sprayed both ends but did not break that part apart further - I'll take a look, it was not obvoius to me how it came apart more - perhaps some small set screw; part #400603-

Anyways if the gun auto loads I will be happy. I've always had revolvers - this is my first semi - I was told gun was shot alot when I bought it, I see there is NO sign of cracking or frame damage -

I'll let you know and thanks Old Ironsight.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:56 AM   #16
old_ironsights

There's a small pin (400603) that you remove to take out parts 400504 and 400404 and fully empty the firing pin channel for cleaning.

Old September 11, 2009, 12:51 AM   #17
RAILMAN

Dirt in there

Yep dirt in there, I'd say had NEVER been cleaned had no problem putting back togeter just used some long tweezers to turn that part - havnt fired yet but it feel better already

Thanks again
Old October 10, 2009, 12:20 PM   #18
cycleguru

Cat 9 Story

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in about the Cat 9. I've owned one since the late 80's. In fact it was my first semi-auto. I thought it looked wicked and the price was what I could afford at the time. I shot it often but eventually developed the cracked frame that others have spoken about. I sent it back to Intratek and they replaced it no questions asked. Haven't had any problems since. Later I bought a Glock 19, and since I had a new fun toy I put the Cat away in my safe and sort of forgot about it until recently. I don't own the Glock anymore (gave it to my son-in-law), but have a 1911 Colt and a Rossi .357 revolver. Neither of those guns are really that comfortable to carry in my gun shirt. All this to say that I re-discovered the Cat hidden in the back of my safe and remembered what a great little concealed-carry piece it is! As I write this it's tucked neatly and comfortably in the pouch of my gun shirt under my left armpit. I hardly know it's there and it's small enough that I can even conseal it under a tee shirt.

I have one question. Does anyone know where I can get another mag for it? I only have the one it came with.
Old October 10, 2009, 12:28 PM   #19
old_ironsights

There's one on GB ( not my auction ) for a decent price...so far.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=142601907

Old October 10, 2009, 03:38 PM   #20
cycleguru

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old October 10, 2009, 04:25 PM   #21
cycleguru

Thanks again, Old Ironsights. I just bought that mag.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:15 AM   #22
yarddie

intratec .45 acp

my question is about the intratec .45 cat would like to if anyone out there know where to find a magazine and a manual on how to break it down and clean it thank you
Old March 17, 2011, 09:32 PM   #23
bob67cam

a buddy has 1 that exploded the frame, the slide and most everything else seems to do what its supposed to...we were gonna try and find a frame to sell it off but chances are wed most likely have to buy another good 1 and split it into 1 good and 1 bad 1 anyways..lol..in any case if u have any interest in this for parts let me know
Old March 17, 2011, 10:20 PM   #24
twhidd

Another thread brought back from the grave. Please read the dates on these posts. I think that guy is long gone now.
Old September 27, 2011, 07:10 PM   #25
intratec 45 cal

im differently interested in the intratec 45 for parts i badly need the clip and would be willing to buy the whole thing for parts..

Tags
cat9 , intratec