The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 10, 2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Lavan

Talk me out of it.

I am debating whether to renew my CCW next year.
But if I do, I think I ...may... just do the .25 Beretta cuz that's all I really carry.
I have the Chief Spl on it too but it just sits in the safe due to the weight even though it doesn't weigh that much.

Qualifying with 2 guns is easy but ...why?

Oh, never mind. I'll keep the .38 on it just for kicks.

Sorry, don't talk me out of it.
Old August 10, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2
RX-79G

I think the Beretta is a really practical choice. Bravo.

But yeah, renew 'em both.
Old August 10, 2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Hurryin' Hoosier

Not being a resident of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, I'm not familiar with your gun laws. Are you saying that your "CCW" (which, in Indiana, is just a License to Carry a Handgun, by the way) has to list what firearm(s) you're authorized to carry?

Mein Gott. Do you also have to have a copy of your shot record and your litter registration papers?
Old August 10, 2014, 07:27 PM   #4
TXAZ

Do it, do it, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Did that help any?)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 10, 2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Microgunner

Carry the. 38. It improves your odds over the. 25 and isn't that the whole point of carrying anyway.
Old August 10, 2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Dragline45

They make it difficult to obtain your CCW in that state and require you to register/qualify each gun you want to carry for a reason, and that is to deter people from doing so. Don't give in to those commie bastards! Renew your carry license, exercise your god given right as an American.
Old August 11, 2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
They make it difficult to obtain your CCW in that state and require you to register/qualify each gun you want to carry for a reason, and that is to deter people from doing so. Don't give in to those commie bastards! Renew your carry license, exercise your god given right as an American.
What he said X10!!!
My sincere condolences for living in a state with such rediculious, and repressive laws.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 11, 2014, 04:46 PM   #8
DannyB1954

How it works in Nv.
It used to be that you had to qualify with each firearm that you carried.
Then if you qualified with any revolver you could carry any revolver.
If you qualified with any semi auto, you could carry any semi auto.
Now if you qualify with any handgun you can carry any hand gun.

I am glad that I moved out of the repressive state of Ca.
Old August 11, 2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Glockstar .40

Geez I'm glad I live north of the California border
Old August 11, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
AK103K

Id renew them both, but carry the .38, and look for something a little more effective to replace the Beretta.

Quote:
Now if you qualify with any handgun you can carry any hand gun.
All we have to do, is walk into the Sheriffs office, give them $20, and walk out with our permit. They even have evening hours, twice a week for those of us who work through normal business hours.
Old August 14, 2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Cold Steel

California Isn't So Bad, Comrade!

A couple of years ago, I bought a little pocket pistol -- a .25acp Beretta -- at a sporting goods store. Doing both state and federal paperwork was so tiring I almost gave up. A week later I came to pick it up and tried to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo. Amazingly, I was told that I must first take the gun and secure it in my car. But that's not all! They taped the box to where I'd need a knife to cut it open; then they put it in a heavy brown paper bag, put all the receipts and copies of the paperwork in on top of it and then they carefully folded the top of the brown bag one fold at a time until gun and paperwork were fully compressed. Picking up a stapler, the sales guy put about twenty staples in the top of the package. If that weren't humiliating enough, the sales guy carried the package and accompanied me to the other side of the room, down the escalator and to the front door. Thanking me for my business, he handed me the package and told me if I still wanted the ammo, I could come back without the gun (he was very clear about that), and I could buy some.

Last edited by Spats McGee; August 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Removing political drivel
Old August 14, 2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Fugit1ve Wizard

Here in the freedom-loving Granite State a resident can choose to obtain a pistol & revolver permit for I believe $12 on a "shall issue" basis. It's easier than completing a Form 4473. What the permit entails is carrying concealed, and carrying a loaded pistol while in a motor vehicle. Open carry is legal for anybody 18+ and in my community is acceptable. (Nobody thinks you're there to shoot up the diner, gas station, etc.) What's better is there are no ridiculous laws restricting me from buying long guns in Vermont or Maine, and bringing them back to my home state.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:01 AM   #13
N R A

Guy raped for 10 years by his priest, pushed down the stairs by his step mother, stabbed by his brother, served time for murder, armed robbery. He has been shot, stabbed, beat up, his whole life, and you want to point a .25 at him? Why?

You cannot hope to drop, stop, persuade, discourage, or ward off an angry career criminal with a pea shooter.

What, 5 rounds in your .38? That might be sufficient. Are you willing to bet your life on it?

I do not know a handgun instructor that would choose as his first choice, a small wheel gun for personal protection. A gang 10 strong and you have a wheel gun. Now what? Reload? Hope they run away if you tell them to go away? That might work.

Glock 19, IWB Desantis Mad Max holster, good gun belt, suspenders and you can carry all day, every day and it is never uncomfortable. It is comforting

Last edited by N R A; August 15, 2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:08 AM   #14
gyvel

If you're going to use a .25, you better be darned good with it.
SIFE
Old August 15, 2014, 07:52 AM   #15
qwiksdraw

Actually you should not only keep both handguns on the list but add as many as you possible can. Every gun owner in the PRC should do that. This is what what the gov't wants to do and likes to do, so you all should give them more paperwork than they can handle. It would overwhelm the system and they would be too busy to look for more rights to take away.

By putting the qualifying list on the permit carrier it becomes a burden and dis-incentive to own and carry guns. You can turn it around and use the system against itself and make them carry the burden. Make them do more and more paperwork. Overload the system. It is unsustainable for the gov't.

Just a thought.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:20 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Even if you don't carry, definitely renew your CCW permit, the more of them out there means the politicians will have to think just a little harder when they want to cast their votes for further restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

Myself, if the size and weight of the piece is a concern, try a .380 instead on any .25 caliber.

The .25 caliber will give you a definite advantage in the fist fight to follow, should you shoot someone with it, but it sounds like you shouldn't be fist fighting.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:08 AM   #17
bamaranger

sorry

Ditch the .25 for primary social work.
Old August 16, 2014, 06:54 AM   #18
tubeshooter

If the weight bothers you, I would recommend to consider either some flavor of Smith Airweight or a Ruger LCR.

You don't have to buy and maintain a different caliber stream (since you already have a .38), and the weight issue is mostly resolved. The .25 will go a few places that such a gun won't... but not many.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Mastrogiacomo

A .38 might do in a pinch but if I have options, I'll carry 9mm...it's never practical financially or safety wise to carry target guns....

Laura
Old August 16, 2014, 04:06 PM   #20
Hurryin' Hoosier

Having owned both guns in the OP's question, I think that I'd opt for the little .38 loaded with Buffalo Bore lead semi-wadcutter hollow points (i.e., the old "Chicago load" or "FBI load"). Those would definitely give a bad guy something to think about.

But, first, I'd do my best to get the H... out of Kalifornia.
Old August 16, 2014, 04:13 PM   #21
GM1967

Where are all the "shot placement is everything" folks, why are they not defending the .25? Certainly a .25 through the eye into the brain would at least discourage a career criminal

I'd suggest the Ruger LCP instead of the Beretta .25. I think it's smaller, lighter, yet a larger and more effective caliber. Just my two cents
Old August 16, 2014, 04:26 PM   #22
qwiksdraw

Quote:
Where are all the "shot placement is everything" folks, why are they not defending the .25?
OK, it's all about shot placement. Besides, doesn't 2 shots of .25 equal the same as a .50??
Old August 16, 2014, 04:54 PM   #23
Onward Allusion

Seriously, CA is not so bad. It is a matter of perspective. WI didn't get their shall issue until 2012 & IL, 2014 (note: not talking about date the law passed).
CT, DE, MD, NJ, NY, RI, & of course DC are multiple times worst.

I personally would get qualified for both the 25 & 38. Life is about having options.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:38 PM   #24
Mastrogiacomo

I didn't have to wait years to get an interview for a gun permit in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. CA sounds about as bad as DC in my opinion. Only a celebrity would be able to apply for a firearm, get the permit and the gun in a matter of weeks...
Old August 16, 2014, 06:35 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Amazingly, I was told that I must first take the gun and secure it in my car.
... the sales guy carried the package and accompanied me to the other side of the room, down the escalator and to the front door.
...he handed me the package and told me if I still wanted the ammo, I could come back without the gun (he was very clear about that), and I could buy some.
I've had that happen even in TX. It was the policy of that particular store that they would not sell ammo and a firearm in the same transaction.