The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2014, 05:17 AM   #1
simonrichter

.22lr with reduced charge used by the Mossad?

Somewhere I have read that the Mossad used special, .22lr rounds with a reduced charge (and, thus, adjusted springs) in order to reduce the sound signature of the Beretta 70s used by its assassins (unfortunately I couldn't retrieve the source). Does anybody have any more information on that issue and, in any case, would it make sense? A 22lr out of a pistol is already quite weak, and still it will be quite loud even if the charge is reduced...
Old August 9, 2014, 05:54 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

My guess is that rather than going to the trouble to come up with a reduced charge .22LR, they would simply use a gun that chambered .22Short.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Mobuck

Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri, Remington C-Bee, and CCI Low Noise(?)
all feature reduced velocity and noise.
Super Colibri from a 3" barrel is similar to a loud hand clap but I have serious doubts of it penetrating a human skull. I have seen it fail to penetrate the skull of an old boar coon while using it on the trapline.
Old August 9, 2014, 10:22 AM   #4
JD0x0

I think a lot of that 'special ammo' is not so special after all. My (complete) guess is that what is meant by that is that subsonic rounds are used. Rather than high velocity .22LR

I see no reason to use the 'quiet' ammo which often leaves the barrel at roughly 600FPS (try reliably penetrating the skull with that...)

You don't need those 'quiet' rounds to be as quiet as you need to be. With a suppressed firearm, all you need is a bullet under the speed of sound. Should be very easy to achieve that in a .22 pistol, even without 'specialized' ammo.

Honestly on a loud city street, I'd bet a large percentage of people wouldn't even notice a (unsuppressed) subsonic .22 being shot, by sound alone.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:11 AM   #5
weblance

I find it difficult to believe that a Government Agency, that equips its assassins, wouldnt use a suppressor, but instead, use a low powered round to lessen the sound signature. That makes no sense to me.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:18 AM   #6
ThomasT

The information you have came from a book titled "Vengeance" by George Jonus dealing with the Mossad teams sent to kill the terrorist who carried out the 1972 Munich Massacre of the Isreali athelete's in the olympics.

They did use reduced loads but from what I can tell they were nothing more than standard velocity rounds instead of high speed 22 rounds. No mention was made of using reduced power springs in thier guns. Plus the guns they used on the mission were bought from a source they had and returned after a "Hit" was carried out. They did say the guns sounded loud when they used them to kill a terroist but didn't attract attention to outsiders when used in a building.

They did not report making any head shots. Head shots aren't recommended even with high speed 22s because of the soft lead bullets. They were trained to aim, fire two quick shots and reaim and fire two more quick shots. Most of their targets were shot with at least three burst from two agents for about 12-14 bullets in each target. A couple of times they only fired about 4 bullets in a target.

The book is available on Amazon and is a darn good read. I wore out my first copy and am on my second book. The book was the basis for the movie "Munich". Trust me, the book is far better than the movie. I hope this answers some of your questions.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:05 PM   #7
simonrichter

great replies, thank y'all.

That makes sense, I also think that the just used standard velocity ammunition.

As far as the "colibri" rounds are concerned, are these really that quiet even out of a pistol barrel? I once tried to shoot .22lr "Z" (for "Zimmer", "room") out of a 5" barrel, and it still makes quite a crack...
Old August 9, 2014, 12:15 PM   #8
jonnyc

There is considerable doubt that "Vengeance" is not that historically accurate, but I believe they did get the part about the ammo correct. When I lived in Israel the subject came up with a few fellow shooters. Although some of them would have been in a position to know about any "special" .22 ammo, none had ever heard of any. The group that I shot with included former ElAl security, members of various special forces, and some others with interesting backgrounds.
I have found my Beretta .22s to be very accurate and reliable with .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle ammo, so I also doubt that any spring modifications would have been necessary.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:18 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrichter
As far as the "colibri" rounds are concerned, are these really that quiet even out of a pistol barrel?
They're about as loud as hammering a nail forcefully- they'll hurt unprotected ears in a confined space, but out in the open, they're very mild. They really don't sound like a gun being fired.

BTW Aguila- the maker of this ammo- sells two types, Colibri and Super Colibri. Both lack powder, but the latter has a larger primer charge, and is recommended for use in rifles. Standard Colibris should only be used in pistols.

Also, I have yet to find a .22 semi-auto that will cycle them reliably, even by hand. The problem is not just the lack of oomph- it's also the short and sharply pointed bullet, which makes them hang up on the feed ramp. However, they work fine in my revolvers and bolt rifles (the Supers in the latter case).
Old August 9, 2014, 07:20 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc
I have found my Beretta .22s to be very accurate and reliable with .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle ammo...
Which Berettas?

I've found that Shorts don't feed reliably from most LR magazines because of the reduced length; in fact, sometimes they'll kinda collapse on themselves before you even get the mag filled.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:48 PM   #11
jonnyc

I have 4 slightly different Model 71s.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Mobuck

I used the Super Colibri one trapping season(about 100 coons) so have a good comparison. As I said the sound from a 3" SR22 is comparative to a loud hand clap or slapping a couple of 10-12" pieces of 2x4 board together. A 5.5" Ruger 22/45 is slightly quieter-a moderate hand clap. I quit using this ammo after determining it didn't kill coons satisfactorily and was too inaccurate to kill skunks from 20-25'. It also failed to feed from the magazine if more than 1 or 2 rounds were loaded.
Last year I used Remington C-Bee ammo with much better results. Totally adequate terminal effect, feeds from magazine, suitably accurate ,and only marginally more noise.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:49 PM   #13
skizzums

colibre is pretty cool idea, but sooo inaccurate, I couldnt keep on paper from my back deck to the ground with a sighted in scoped 10/22, it would be fun with a revolver I guess, at very close distance. it is very quiet, even from a my ruger pistol, will not cycle any semi that I have had. I think the hand clap is the best description of the sound.

if I read a "reduced power" .22 round, I would just assume sub-sonic
Old August 9, 2014, 09:43 PM   #14
KyJim

I've shot some .22 Colibri from my SW K-22 revolver. It was noticeably quieter than standard LR ammo (I was wearing ear protection outside). I was just plinking at fairly short distances (10-12 yards), so I didn't notice any difference in accuracy.
Old August 10, 2014, 07:23 AM   #15
amd6547

I've shot CCI Quiet 22lr in my 6" barrel Beretta 71. It functioned the pistol, and is indeed very quiet. About as loud as a loud hand clap.
Old August 11, 2014, 08:47 PM   #16
sgms

Did a quick search on government issue suppressed weapons just for fun and none of those found were in .22. The 4 most found were the Soviet PB in 9x18 m/m makarov, then 2 from china the type 64 & 67 in 7.65x7 m/m, the last being the US MK 22 "Hushpuppy" in 9 m/m nato using a subsonic round (the Mk. 22 is a highly modified S&W Model 39 with oversized sights, suppressor, high cap magazine, and detachable shoulder stock). All of them have a slide lock to keep the action from cycling to keep them quiet and were rather long coming in around 12 inches in length.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:09 AM   #17
Mobuck

Keep in mind there are many "one off" or non-production modified guns for these uses. "Government agencies" can get anything they want with adequate incentive.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:07 AM   #18
bikerbill

I still have most of a box of Aguila .22LR SSS, called Sniper Subsonic on the box. It features a 60gr lead bullet which is actually longer than the case.

No specs on the box for fps.

I still have most of the box because it won't cycle my Smith 22a. It's pretty quiet, tho.
Old August 12, 2014, 12:35 PM   #19
JD0x0

Quote:
I still have most of a box of Aguila .22LR SSS, called Sniper Subsonic on the box. It features a 60gr lead bullet which is actually longer than the case.

No specs on the box for fps.
Those are fairly easy to get. IIRC published velocity is 950FPS from a rifle length barrel. The 60 grain SSS is one subsonic load that will benefit from a long barrel. At 5'' velocity is roughly 800FPS

Those bullets tend to be too long to stabilize in the standard 1:16'' twist barrels. And usually require a slightly faster twist to stabilize them for flight.

Also they do tend to have enough power to cycle a semi auto action. With that heavy bullet and fairly large powder charge, to get it moving at those speeds, it should generate power and gasses to cycle most .22 LR actions. What I have read is that they can have problems feeding due to the very long bullet, and relatively short case. but as far as cycling the action, there shouldn't really be any problems there. If your gun can cycle 'standard' velocity ammo, it should be able to cycle the 60 grain SSS in most cases.

Last edited by JD0x0; August 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 06:43 PM   #20
amd6547

I fired a mag of the Aguila SSS load in my beretta 71...it also functioned. Pretty accurate, too. The box I have is a couple years old...I would like to pick up some more.
It is well known that the US govt used the High Standard 22 with suppressor (one was in Francis Gary Powers bailout kit in the U2 incident). Later, they used the Ruger Standard model. I would be very surprised if there weren't a bunch still in inventory.

Last edited by amd6547; August 12, 2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old August 15, 2014, 06:16 PM   #21
Cold Steel

The Israelis use subsonic ammo to prevent the sharp crack of their bullets exceeding the sound barrier. They normally step up behind the target and shoot twice just below the ear. The .22lr is very much underrated as a defensive round and the Beretta 70S.22lr is an astoundingly reliable pistol. Sadly, it's no longer made. I had mine hard chromed and it's one of my favorite pistols.

I remember being incensed when my Beretta 21 .22lr kept jamming. Some gun writers concluded that tiny .22s just weren't reliable enough to use for self defense and that people should stick with .25acp if they're going to carry a mouse gun. But someone told me to switch to CCI Mini-Mags, Stingers, Yellow Jackets and Winchester ammo and it was good advice. Now the 21 works fine. I also have a Jennings J-22 that is extremely reliable.

Not only the Israelis, the mob also used .22lr pistols as a way of discreetly making hits. Most likely because of the movies and cable shows, they've gotten away from that. Because of the way .22s deform, it makes tracing them to a particular gun very difficult. But many mob hits are made with untraceable guns that are left at the scene. The person who killed Robert Blake's wife just dumped his gun, a 9mm, in a nearby dumpster.

The Beretta 70S was an all-steel .22lr that was lightweight, reliable and hammer-fired. With subsonic ammo was used at close ranges, the results were predictabley effective.

_
Old August 15, 2014, 07:33 PM   #22
AK103K

Quote:
I remember being incensed when my Beretta 21 .22lr kept jamming. Some gun writers concluded that tiny .22s just weren't reliable enough to use for self defense and that people should stick with .25acp if they're going to carry a mouse gun. But someone told me to switch to CCI Mini-Mags, Stingers, Yellow Jackets and Winchester ammo and it was good advice. Now the 21 works fine.
I had two 21A's (didnt learn my lesson with the first. ), and they were both very finicky if they were not kept spotlessly clean. Ammo used didnt seem to matter.

The worked fine with most generic HV .22's, as well as the Sitingers, Mini Mags, etc., as long as they were clean. Shoot a couple of boxes out of them, and they got grumpy pretty quick. Not having an extractor probably added to the problem.

Ive had a lot of .22 pistols over the years, and a number of the higher end guns, and cheap or expensive, they all were pretty picky about being kept clean. Some worked better than others, but they all would start to balk if you shot a lot of rounds through them.

The other issue I have with them, is the priming system isnt as reliable as center fire, and its not all that unusual to have misfires. Not so much an issue in a revolver, but more so with an auto.

While they can be fun to shoot, I just dont consider them reliable enough for serious use.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:32 PM   #23
jonnyc

"They normally step up behind the target and shoot twice just below the ear."
"he mob also used .22lr pistols as a way of discreetly making hits."

Interesting. Did you learn all this during your Kidon Tironut or "Button Man" training?
Old August 15, 2014, 08:49 PM   #24
Cold Steel

What you say is true. Almost any small gun can get gunked up with burnt powder and my Jennings is fantastic for about four mags, then things get iffy. But it's made for defense, not target shooting. That's fine for carrying and I pretty much stopped having problems with .22lr duds when I gave up buying Thunderbolts.

I have CCI Mini-Mag ammo that I bought in the 80s, and while it's not polished like today's ammo, I don't remember the last time I got a dud. I shoot it in my Rugers and it's like spitfires. I also shoot them in a Rossi revolver and don't have any problems, but with revolvers you have to make sure the cartridges are seated properly; otherwise, one blow will push it in and not detonate it, and it takes a second blow to fire it.

Every now and again at a range I'll see a container of .22lr duds, so I know they're out there.

The twenty-two is one of my favorite calibers. Modern ammo is pretty well manufactured, but the gun shooting it has to be very good. You do have to be careful with guns like the Jennings J-22. I pulled the slide back on it one time to load a round into the chamber, and even though I had my finger clear of the trigger, when I released it I got a slamfire, sending a bullet into a nearby wall. I've never been able to replicate it, but it happened.

_
Old August 15, 2014, 09:58 PM   #25
jeager106

Quote:
"They normally step up behind the target and shoot twice just below the ear."
"he mob also used .22lr pistols as a way of discreetly making hits."

Interesting. Did you learn all this during your Kidon Tironut or "Button Man" training?

Very well said.

Cold Steel: The Massad is rather notorious for using subsonic .22 l.r. ammo to murder people as sometimes does the "mob" (whatever is meant by that).
I'm curious as to what your back ground is to spur you to make the statement that the .22 l.r. is an under rated defense round when all you mention is ways the caliber is used to murder people????
Most confusing ascertion.
F.W.I.W. I have a Beretta 21 and it's never, ever, jamed & I shoot it a lot.
I carry a more potent caliber for self defense as I don't envision myself sneaking up behind anyone & shooting them behind the ear!!!!!!