The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 14, 2014, 07:00 AM   #1
mikthestick

Handguns Annual 2004 article.

Please could someone help me to get a copy of the article printed in 2004 Handguns annual concerning "One Shop Stop Ratio"by bob Archibald. I am researching the subject. I have and can find no info on the man or article.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:23 PM   #2
gyvel

Try looking on eBay for a back issue of what you are looking for.

In fact, here's a link to a buy it now for $3.97 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handguns/221...82085542&rt=nc

(eBay item number: 221418902143)
Old July 15, 2014, 11:25 AM   #3
mikthestick

Thank you I have a secured a copy from the states which will arrive in 3 weeks. I intend to write about why Archibald's stopping power formula may be better than it first appears. Any info on the man would be good as I have never heard of him. I assume he is a firearms expert of some experience.
Old August 1, 2014, 03:53 AM   #4
mikthestick

Handguns annual 2004 arrived. I am well pleased with the book, it is full of interesting stuff BUT THERE IS NO ARTICLE ON STOPPING POWER by Bob Archibald.
Old August 1, 2014, 12:35 PM   #5
fastbolt

If you don't mind me asking, why the focus on just that one particular article? (Can't remember if I even read it, myself, nor am I familiar with the name.)

There's no shortage of articles written about this subject by people working in the LE field, though.

One-Shot Drops
Surviving the Myth
By ANTHONY J. PINIZZOTTO, Ph.D., HARRY A. KERN,
M.Ed., and EDWARD F. DAVIS, M.S. http://www.rrmemphis.com/myth.pdf

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power by Greg Ellifritz
- See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/....HzsAWCiT.dpuf

In the second linked article above, the author makes some unsurprising observations at the end (Conclusion section), such as ...
Quote:
The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn't that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers.
and ...
Quote:
Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.
I've been a LE firearms instructor since 1990, and I stopped favoring any particular caliber for any sort of "one shot stop" effect a long time ago. Such articles don't hold a particular interest to me anymore. I'm more interested in user mindset, skillset, training practices, knowledge of tactics, weapon maintenance, etc.

There aren't even any guarantees when it comes to achieving consistent "one shot stops" using rifles or shotguns, let alone handguns.

Always makes for long discussions and debates among the public internet firearms enthusiasts forums, though.

Last edited by fastbolt; August 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old August 1, 2014, 02:48 PM   #6
2damnold4this

Mik are you trying to come up with a formula for stopping power you can use in a computer game?
Old August 1, 2014, 07:04 PM   #7
mikthestick

I am not looking for a formula to use in a game. I bought Handgun stopping power by Bredsten which gives Archibalds one stop formula and Handguns annual 2004 as the reference. I wanted to find out the reasoning behind his formula then post my conclusions. I intended to write/modify a formula with reasoned Arguments and conclusions.
The problem for me is posting my conclusions seems to stir people up. I don't want to start a big circular argument in which people polarize between for or against stopping power formulas.
Old August 1, 2014, 07:37 PM   #8
mete

You can't get a realistic formula with just numbers .go find some woodchucks and you can learn a lot !!
Old August 1, 2014, 09:48 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
The problem for me is posting my conclusions seems to stir people up. I don't want to start a big circular argument in which people polarize between for or against stopping power formulas.
Dude. Come on. This is the Interwebz. You're no fun.

Only Google hit I'm finding is this.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 2, 2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
The problem for me is posting my conclusions seems to stir people up.
Probably because many people realize there is no "formula" for stopping a bad guy with a handgun bullet - other than placement and penetration.

Duncan MacPherson, author of "Bullet Penetration" (see - http://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Penetra.../ref=pd_cp_b_0 ), when asked about "stopping power formulas" observed: "BS + Mathematics = BS."

Good luck to you in chasing your ghosts.

Last edited by Derbel McDillet; August 2, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old August 2, 2014, 01:43 PM   #11
2damnold4this

I think it would be good for you to post your conclusions. There isn't anything wrong with disagreeing with people.

I think that it would be very difficult to come up with a formula for predicting what would happen in a future shooting. We can shoot simulated tissue with different cartridges and measure the results but there are so many variables in actual shootings it would be hard to find useful results.

For me, establishing a minimum level of performance in simulated tissue is one step. Then I would pick a handgun that I can shoot well and select a load in that handgun that functions reliably with reasonable accuracy while meeting or exceeding the minimum standard in simulated tissue. For concealed carry, the size, weight and shape of the handgun would be important. Other factors might be the price of the handgun, the price of practice ammunition, and capacity but these aren't as important as the handgun being shootable, reliable and concealable.
Old August 3, 2014, 05:19 PM   #12
mikthestick

No more ghosts

If a formula was to suggest an M1 carbine would be good on Rhino at 100yards I would not recommend it. Here is what I have written criticize, ridicule, have fun.Mik
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Final Stop.pdf (28.4 KB, 14 views)