The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 29, 2014, 01:19 AM   #1
skizzums

.22 pistol for child

hello, I have never really owned or shot a .22 much except for one gun thati bought and traded quickly. I would like to get a .22 pistol for my son who will be turning 8 this year and would like to get him started as soon as hes ready. I am having difficulty finding exactly what I want for him. I would like a comp style pistol(was intrigued by the ksa chipmunk for price and style) for sub 400$, but would really like to find something with a threaded barrel. any suggestions? price is a major factor to me

pistol
sub 400$
.22 lr
threaded barrel

thanks
Old June 29, 2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Mobuck

Only 22 pistol I'd recommend would be Ruger-either the MK or 22/45 depending on your preference.
The problem with a youngster is hand size and strength. The 22/45 has a fairly small grip with enough weight to be easy to shoot.
Safety is a major concern with children and handguns since it's so much easier for them to lose muzzle control and point the pistol at the wrong thing.
I've allowed my Grandsons to shoot my 22/45 while I held the barrel to both steady and control the muzzle. One Grandson(age 8) shot several animals on my trapline in this fashion.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:45 AM   #3
g.willikers

How about starting him with a good quality pellet gun, instead?
At closer target distances, they are just as effective to learn on as a rimfire.
Finding ammo isn't a problem, they are less expensive, and you can set up a range in the garage.
That can be a better experience than having all those big boomers going off all around at a gun range.
Big, loud noises can ruin his day.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:45 AM   #4
aarondhgraham

Please clarify something,,,

What do you mean by "comp style" pistol?

Are you referring to one that you shot from a bench?

If so, the Crickett or Chipmunk would be decent choices.

I am curious though,,,
Why not a rifle instead?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 29, 2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Ruger480

Best check your state laws concerning minors and handguns. In Iowa, it is illegal for children under 14 to use them. Even at shooting ranges during instructional classes. Too many offenses results in a class D (?) felony.

I first heard about it in this story from the Des Moines Register.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...video/7766031/

Quote:
Gibson and his 8-year-old daughter, Natalie, were politely told to leave the Polk City shooting range because the girl isn't old enough to practice with the Walther P22 handgun she's been using all along.
Several people tried to get the law changed but failed. The law stands that you must be at least 14 years of age to shoot a handgun legally in Iowa.
Old June 29, 2014, 11:27 AM   #6
skizzums

Im not here to get lectured about a child shooting guns under my supervision. He has a pellet rifle as well. We shoot on my own private property in rural georgia.

So ill try to restate my question. Are there any .22 pistols that come with a threaded barrel. The style of the stock i will decide on after i find some models that have the threaded bbl.
Thanks
Old June 29, 2014, 11:27 AM   #7
sm

Ruger Bearcat.

Dang hard to beat this sexy blue-n-wood SA for teaching, and the Bearcat is proven.
Fits smaller hands, and continues to fit as this gun will last a lifetime. It still fits me, and I am now 59 y/o.

Get the safety, correct basic fundamentals ingrained early in life.
Me?
I started with a High Standard Sentential at age 3, then a H&R .22 Special.

I started handguns at age 3, rifles age 4, shotguns age 5.

Then again some say "I are old".
Old June 29, 2014, 11:31 AM   #8
skizzums

As much as i like the bearcat, iwant somethingbthat can be silenced. I know they make lots of adaptors for threads for a 10\22 barrel. I wonder if they have pistols that share the same size barrell
Old June 29, 2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Ruger480

Quote:
Im not here to get lectured about a child shooting guns under my supervision. He has a pellet rifle as well. We shoot on my own private property in rural georgia.
I'm not here to make lectures anymore than your here to read them. I made a comment I found relevant to your topic.
No offense intended.

Good day
Old June 29, 2014, 11:46 AM   #10
peggysue

You could buy or build your own 10/22 Cohort pistol that have threaded barrels. http://www.tacticalinc.com/advanced_...eywords=COHORT

If on a tight budget you can get s birds head grip heritage Arms .22lr SAA style pistol. They run under $200 and work well. http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=1

I would not trust the desMoines Register as they are an anti-gun pro Obama paper.

724.22 A parent, guardian, spouse who is eighteen years of age
or older, or another with the express consent of the minor’s parent or guardian or spouse who is eighteen years of age or older may allow a minor to possess a rifle or shotgun or the ammunition therefor which may be lawfully used.

Last edited by peggysue; June 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old June 29, 2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Vt.birdhunter

Sig mosquito fits your needs- Under $400, threaded, frame is smaller than a full size auto.

Reliability has been improved through the years, early mosquitos had issues. Solid platform otherwise.
Old June 29, 2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Venom1956

Ruger mk3 lite. It comes threaded factory and the weight is ideal for youth/ newer shooters.

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 29, 2014, 02:06 PM   #13
10-96

I'm not sure what it's on there for, but the Sig 1911-22 I took on a swap has a threaded cap thing. It's not in the same class of accuracy as my Browning Buckmark or S&W 41- but it does make for a decent plinker.

Edit: Cudos for spending this time with your son. I'll never get those days back with my boy.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 29, 2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Oruglock

You can get a Ruger SR22 with threaded barrel for under $400
Old June 29, 2014, 03:43 PM   #15
dakiwi13

Ky gun co has sr22 with tb for 349 last weel
Old June 29, 2014, 04:10 PM   #16
colbad

First, you DO NOT want a competition grade pistol (if that what comp means) to start a 8 year old shooting. A comp gun generally has such a light trigger its an accident ready to happen. You also do not need a threaded barrel unless you plan to get a silencer....which has no function at a normal shooting range.

You will find most threads recommend a single action revolver WITH good sights. This is what I would recommend. A SA minimizes accidents and makes them value each shot. Need to find a FA that is light enough for him to hold in a good shooting position.

I could not find a SA light enough for my daughter when I started her shooting. I got her going on Sig Mosquito and then to Walther P22 and now she also is shooting the Sig 1911 .22. The P22 and Mosquito come in threaded barrels and I have seen nice silencer set ups with them.

Also, the advantage of a SA revolver is that you can shoot any type of .22 ammo to include some of the powderless.

Last edited by colbad; June 29, 2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old June 29, 2014, 04:28 PM   #17
skizzums

Colbad, i said a couple times in my previous post that i want it silenced. Thank you for the concern of my sons saftey. But a revolver is out. I will def check out the ruger mkIII Lite, the sr22 and the sig. I wanted something that has the comp style stock with the flat base that can be benchrested, but we will see what i can find. The mk3 looks sweet without breaking me. Thanks everyone for the suggestions
Old June 29, 2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums
So ill try to restate my question. Are there any .22 pistols that come with a threaded barrel. The style of the stock i will decide on after i find some models that have the threaded bbl.
Both the GSG/SIG 1911-22 and the Colt/Umarex 1911-22 come with threaded barrels, but neither is what I would classify as a competition-type pistol.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:21 PM   #19
dakota1911

The first pistol I shot was a Ruger MkI back when I was 7. Of course it was my Dad's and he or another adult was there to supervise.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:28 PM   #20
weblance

22 pistol with a factory Threaded barrel...

Ruger 22/45
Ruger SR22
Browning Buckmark
S&W 422/622/2206/2213
S&W M&P 22
Walther P22
Walther PPK/S 22
Colt/Umarex 1911-22
GSG/Sig 1911-22
GSG 922
Sig Mosquito
ISSC M22

I would buy a target style pistol like the threaded Ruger 22/45, Browning Buckmark, or Smith & Wesson 422/622 series. All come threaded from the factory(certain models of the Ruger, or Browning), and all have the accuracy to entertain, and hold the attention of a young shooter. They can certainly grow into the accuracy level, and will probably never need anything more expensive. All tho ones I mention in my comments can be purchased under the $400 budget.

The Smith & Wesson 422/622 series are excellent. They are lightweight, aluminum constructed, with a threaded steel barrel held into the frame with a barrel nut. A simple threaded adapter from EWK Arms, and you are in business.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:54 PM   #21
skizzums

Thanks weblance. Thats a good list. And just so everyone knows, im not just going to give my 8 year old a gun, rifle or pistol, it will be my gun and will stay home in the safe when not being used under his parents supervision.

I actually have a very old colt woodsman which i could probably trade for a newer buckmark.
Old June 30, 2014, 08:00 AM   #22
BoogieMan

I started my daughter at 6y/o with a Beretta Neos, she is 9 now and has since moved on to a Ruger 22/45 by my choice not hers. The Neos has the smallest grip I know of in a accurate, reliable pistol.
I am sure this has been mentioned and im sure you already know. But, make sure this is not a weapon (or any others) he has access to without you being present. Stress safety and the importance of safety (firing line, muzzle direction, treat every gun as if it were loaded, etc...) and never give hime or let him play with toy guns again.Its to easy to develop bad habits with a toy, like pointing at people. For the first year or so I taught my daughter with 1 round in the magazine and stressed her loading and firing safely. She also has her own Ruger 10/22 (looks like an pink camo AR) and prefers that to shooting the pistol. At 50yds she is shooting very impressive groups with the rifle. With the pistol she struggles to hit where she wants to with consistency. Keep it fun and times short. Be redundant with safety. After all a 22 is still a deadly weapon.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 30, 2014, 09:52 AM   #23
pilpens

Ruger SR22.
It is what I use when teaching people with small hands. I do not like how the thumb safety works on it (opposite that of 1911) but it is a good little pistol.

My Ruger MKxx and Browning Buckmarks are too big for my 10 year old boy and 12 and 13 year old girls. The SR22 fit their small hands; it allows good trigger reach with proper grip and easy manipulation of controls.
Old June 30, 2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Hiker 1

S&W M&P .22

I've taken my 8 year old son out to shoot mine and he really enjoyed it. You can get a threaded barrel for them as well.

+/- $350 new
Old June 30, 2014, 09:25 PM   #25
Rembrandt

My six grand kids love the Browning 1911-22......it's a scaled down 1911 that fits small hands extremely well.