The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 23, 2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Handgun carry for women

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ters/11259177/

Surprising in the mainstream media. Options from TX about the increase in female carry and how to.

I suppose Hillary regards these women as those who will terrorized the country.
Old June 24, 2014, 02:18 PM   #2
tekarra

It is good to see more women carrying and more accessories becoming available to them.
Old June 24, 2014, 06:03 PM   #3
navajoRN

Video from Legally Armed America for Women

I'm taking my first CCW class next month. Looking at various semi-autos for carry. Legally Armed America did a nice video piece comparing four of the popular 380s out right now. Well done and informative.

http://youtu.be/A7nWBMIeIXI

I have a BodyGuard 38sp that I really don't like. What models do other women prefer and why?
Old June 24, 2014, 07:54 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Only the District of Columbia prohibits civilians from carrying a firearm."

That is more than a bit misleading. Several states make the process of obtaining a license to carry so onerous and expensive that few people will ever obtain or qualify for one. Even Maryland, relatively late to the extreme gun control position, has for years required applicants for a carry license to either prove that they may be a target (they carry money as part of a business) or to prove that they have been threatened and are in imminent danger from specific persons, and that the threat will last for a known and specific amount of time.

Even people licensed to carry as part of a business cannot carry except when actively engaged in that activity.

The law has several exceptions, such as going to and from a shooting area, but the gun has to be away from the people in a vehicle, usually defined as unloaded and locked in the trunk or a box.

So, in theory, MD allows concealed carry. In practice the state police have been ordered to make sure very few do. Political influence has often been alleged, but not at this time proven.

Jim
Old June 24, 2014, 08:18 PM   #5
JERRYS.

James speaks wisely, and I would add new jersey, Hawaii, and new York to the list of states that have ccw on the books, yet in practice issue ccw permits to very few.
Old June 25, 2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Grant D

My wife has a Colt Detective Special by her bed, and carry's a S&W Model 637 in her purse with a holster built into it, or her Ruger LCP.

Sometimes she carry's one of the 380's in a IWB holster.
She also has a Walther PPK/S in the console of her car.

I tried to get the 637 from her but she wasn't going to let that happen!
I even offered her my nickel plated model 37. lol
Old June 25, 2014, 05:40 PM   #7
tony pasley

The last 20 years women have made up the fastest growing groups buying, training, and getting CCP's all across the country. It seems many have figured out that they are the only one who will be there for their defense.
Old June 25, 2014, 07:27 PM   #8
subhuman

NavajoRn, my wife tried a few before settling on a S&W Shield 9mm and a Flashbang "Ava" IWB holster but she is tickled to death with this set up.

Old June 25, 2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Hunter0924

I have worked with the Well Armed Women and they have done a lot to introduce and train women to firearms. They also promote safety and legal conceal carry for all but especially women.
Old June 25, 2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Marty8613

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403742852.112886.jpg

My wife wanted itty bitty, but easy to rack. After touching a few hundred 380s. She picked this DB9.
Old June 25, 2014, 08:15 PM   #11
guruatbol

My wife loves her .38 LCR. It is way too small for my paws, but for her little hands it is perfect.

She likes not having to rack it and with some training and a couple speed loaders she is very happy. Oh, forgot that the laser sight she is deadly! Well on paper that is.

Mel
Old June 26, 2014, 02:02 PM   #12
Jimboh247

Does anyone have any ideas on convincing my loving wife to step up to something bigger than a .22 LR?
She loves her SR22, and is really comfortable shooting it, but I can't convince her that .22 is not a good SD choice. I know it's better than a stick, but....
Old June 26, 2014, 02:29 PM   #13
jason_iowa

Bringing political bs into your post makes everything you say irrelevant and is against the forum rules.
Old June 26, 2014, 07:35 PM   #14
mete

Jerrys ,Please differenciate between NY State and NYCity.
There are companies that make handbags and other gear for women. Sorry I don't have a list .
One fine instructor Vicky Farnam has , with a friend written a book "Teaching Women to Shoot " IIRC, Women are different.
Don't make the choice for your wife .Teach her about shooting then let her make the choice !!
Old June 26, 2014, 08:41 PM   #15
jrothWA

Recommned the website...

www.thecorneredcat.com, hosted by moderator "Pax".
Good information for ALL CPLers!
Old June 27, 2014, 03:57 AM   #16
Tribal Rose

I'm in a Well Armed Woman group here in Colorado, and a lot of us like the Sig P238. I shot a Glock 42 not too long ago and liked it a lot too. It's a little bigger but I thought it was a little easier to rack. I have a Ruger SP101, and while mine is the 4", I wouldn't consider the snub version for carry. Too heavy weight-wise and and trigger-pull-wise.
Old June 27, 2014, 09:00 AM   #17
pilpens

Jimboh247,
The key is to make shooting fun. Play games, compete with each other using her .22; get her to like the sport enough. Advertise the sport as relaxation from everyday work.
If you reload, mild loads (whatever caliber but approximates a mild 9mm in recoil) would be nice.
A pistol that fits her hand would be nice to have in the bag for when she decides to try centerfire (reason to get a 1911 9mm).
I assumed a lot already with what I recommend.
Again, the main thing is to keep it fun.
Old June 27, 2014, 09:31 AM   #18
kraigwy

My pet peeve regarding women and guns is way too many men think they know what the woman needs and should have.

Only the individual woman knows what she wants, what fits her, what she can carry and how.

Same with men. We are all different, one size doesn't fit all. For example, I pocket carry a little 38 revolver. Works perfect for me but My wife couldn't get a 38 round in her pocket.

My wife has several guns, she picked every one of them. The only exception is when she broke her back the first time. She thought she would have to stop hunting because recoil was quite painful.

I did step in here and built her a 243 she can shoot quite comfortable. Other then that I stay out of her choices.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 30, 2014, 07:04 AM   #19
ROCK6

My wife has really taken a liking to some of the newer Ruger pistols. She has an SR9c and the LC9. She upgraded her standard CCW from a Bersa .380 to the LC9 and loves it. Her minimalist carry is still a small Kel-Tech P3AT, but that’s only when she can’t wear a larger 9mm. The SR9c is really her home or cold weather carry gun. I also strongly recommend they are involved with the choosing for both feel and on the range. Many of the "cute" small pistols really suck shooting at the range. They recoil harder and the smaller dimensions can be more painful to the hand. That P3AT is a great example. My wife loves the size but prefers shooting the larger 9mm's. She will put a few mags through the P3AT and do several draws from concealment, but it's a great example where looks don't always guarantee performance and comfort when shooting.

She has a petite frame, so it does take some experimentation to find the right carry-methods that work well without significantly changing her wardrobe. Her favorite holsters are Crossbreed and Flashbang. She really likes the flashbang but will tell you that you need specific bras to work with them. She also prefers SOB carry with Crossbreed IWB holsters. During the cooler months she bought several casual-dress vests that wear lower in the front and back and effectively conceal the IWB location.

There are so many good sources that you really need to just let your female significant other experiment and find what works best for them. If you can get onto a range with nobody else, I would strongly recommend several range sessions to have them practice drawing from their preferred carry methods; repeatedly.

ROCK6
Old July 15, 2014, 02:26 AM   #20
ChrisTx

My wife went from hating guns to wanting to start a local shooting chapter. She carries a Taurus TCP most of the time, but she just got a S&W Shield in .40. Her favorite holsters are the Remoras.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:45 AM   #21
38Mike

My wife started with, qualified for her CCH with, shot VERY well with a KelTec P32. One day she says "I want a .380....." I say "OK, let's find one that'll work for you". She tried a LCP, found the recoil too stout; then tried a Sig P238...BINGO.... She can shoot it real well; but had a little trouble carrying it in belly band that she used.

Well, we've come full circle, as she recently picked up another P32, I got her a small inside the waist ( IWB ) holster made by El Paso Saddlery that works well for her with the smaller P32. She just clips it onto the waistband of her skirt and she's good to go......

Mike
Old July 30, 2014, 11:29 AM   #22
Stephanie B

S&W 442, because I'm more comfortable with revolvers. I shoot them better. The Airweight is as lightweight a gun as I feel comfortable with. It's not fun to shoot, not like a Colt DS, but it's a half-pound lighter.

How I carry depends on how I'm dressed. I'm not a fan of purse-carry, but sometimes, that's about all there is. I'd worry about belly-carry and an automatic, for it would seem too easy in a time of high adrenaline to put a bullet where I don't want one.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:42 PM   #23
histed

We went through a similar process over the past year or so. My wife started out with a Bersa .380, which SHE chose, thanks to "The Cornered Cat" advice. After a while, she decided to move up to a 9mm, so we went through the same process again - shooting every 9mm she liked the looks of. She bought a Hi Point, then discovered she didn't like the slide or the weight. She did, however, fall in love with my SCCY. Gave me an excuse to trade the Hi Point for a second SCCY.