The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Zekest Crowe

Sub Sml Pistol Mag Primer in .38 Spl & Burn Rate Powder

When you sub a small pistol magnum primer in a .38 special case with reduced powder load, should you favor a faster burning powder or a slower burning powder?

For example use a faster burning powder like Hodgdon Clays, or a slower burning powder like Winchester 231/Hodgdon HP-38?

Thank you,
Zekest
Old November 10, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
mikld

If I understand you, would I use a slower powder with a hotter primer? Sorta/maybe. If I had a favorite load with standard primers, and needed to use magnum primers, I would drop the load mebbe 5%-10% and work up. If I didn't have a load and only had magnum primers, I would check my reloading manual and pick a starting load of Unique (for a .38) and work up, if necessary, from there. When getting into new/unknown territory always err on the side of caution...
Old November 10, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I would use whatever my favorite load is already, and maybe drop back a tenth of a grain or two. In a big moderately-low-pressure cartridge like .38 Special, I don't see where the primer would make much difference. I could be wrong...
Old November 10, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I have used them with Bull's Eye a while back when they were all I could find. I used the same load with the same results.

I now use small rifle primers with Trail Boss powder they work.

If you feel the need then reduce to the starting load, and a few rounds to work up to assure you are not over pressuring the round.