The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 22, 2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Mrgunsngear

FN's New FN 12 Shogun

As the title says, FNH has a new shotgun out:
Link to the article...

FN 12. My initial thoughts:

-Seems pricy when you can get a great pump gun from Remington or Mossberg for $300-500
-I like the ability to use sights, beads work fine but IMO sights work better if you have the time/lighting to acquire them.
-I like the chrome lined barrel, although I think it may be very unnecessary.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:33 AM   #2
AC 45-70

It is truly fit for a mall ninja.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
jmortimer

Its price point is closer to an 870 P or a 590 A1. Price is not the problem, but why get it over an 870 P or 590 A1? Not sure, except if it is based on the 1300 and the interchangable choke and chrome barrel and someone is looking for that. The FN SLP cost a bundle, but it is a high quality based on proven SX2 platform.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
FrosSsT

Quote:
It is truly fit for a mall ninja
Why, because it has a rail on it?
Old July 22, 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Creeper

When it comes to defense shotguns, FN tends to compare themselves more directly to Benelli than any other manufacturer... although with the advent of some of the more interesting guns from US makers, that may change.

It's a bit surprising to see them come in with a MSRP in excess of the most costly Benelli Nova or Supernova, save the $669 desert camo Supernova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmortimer
but why get it over an 870 P or 590 A1?
I have a similar opinion. Unless these guns are discounted at the end user level, I just don't see them selling too well... not when there are so many quality guns for a little to a lot less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC 45-70
It is truly fit for a mall ninja.
Without the prerequisite 5 feet of 1913 rail/laser/200 lumen light/Eotech/breacher muzzle/pistol grip only/12 shot side saddle/heat shield/QD bayonet... it's just a black pump shotgun with rifle sights.

Cheers,
C
Old July 23, 2012, 02:19 AM   #6
kozak6

Is it actually something new, or did they just recycle the Winchester 1300 yet again?
Old July 23, 2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

Looks like a heapin' helpin' of Winchester 1300 to me... reminds me a lot of my Winchester Police Pump except for the rail on the receiver. AND the price tag .
==================================

FNH Introduces the FN P-12 Pump Shotgun
Article by Recoil Staff

FNH USA has announced their new pump action shotgun, the FN P-12. This marks FNH USA’s re-entry into the pump shotgun market. The FN P-12 brings the tradition of genuine FN quality to a highly desirable firearm.

“Perfect for home defense, general purpose and recreational shooting, the FN P-12 is the ‘do-it-all’ tactical shotgun,” said Ken Pfau, Senior Vice President of Law Enforcement and Commercial Sales for FNH USA. “Coupled with its premium quality, this shotgun will certainly provide shooters with a distinct advantage.”

The FN P-12, assembled in FN’s Viana, Portugal facility like the SLP, sports a 5+1 round capacity and premium matte black finish over anodized aluminum. At 18 inches in length, the Belgium-made cantilever barrel is fully chrome-lined for long life and added corrosion resistance. The barrel is factory installed with an Improved Cylinder stainless steel choke tube. Interchangeable Standard Invector choke tubes are offered as accessories.

Also standard on the new FN P-12 are a fiber-optic front sight and flip-up iron sight for rapid target acquisition and precise aiming as well as a Weaver rail pattern for mounting additional optical accessories.

The FN-12 will be on dealer shelves in fall 2012 with a retail price of $655.

www.fnhusa.com

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old July 24, 2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Caliber

how about 1 of these: http://keltecweapons.com/our-guns/shotguns/ksg/
Old July 24, 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Caliber

12 shots and findable for as low as $600
Old July 25, 2012, 03:29 AM   #10
kozak6

The KSG isn't findable for anywhere near $600. Getting one for double that would even be a steal. And, it has numerous "teething" problems.

I think it's interesting that they are assembled in Portugal. I wonder if they have any Turkish parts in them.
Old July 26, 2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Rugerismisticness

Anyone see the Winchester SXP? This looks similar minus the styling cues, and the SXP is turkish. Funny though, the SXP is only ~300$. I'm not sure where the 650$ figure comes from.
Old July 28, 2012, 02:32 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

The Kel-Tec KSG holds 14 2-3/4" shells plus one in the chamber. The 12 is with 3 inchers.