The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Cowhand

Is there a good derringer on the market?

Is there such a thing as a good derringer? I wouldn't mind having one for a pocket gun, but I have no idea as to the best one, if any. All suggestions much appreciated.
Old March 14, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

I don't know about "best", but my father has a Bond Arms derringer, I believe it's this particular model:

http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-guns/century-2000

It does everything it's supposed to correctly, but practical it is not. Fun though..............absolutely. I honestly can't imagine carrying it for self defense though, if I had almost anything else available. The hammer pull is very stiff, and then the trigger pull is pretty stiff as well. It's not something that can be quickly and effectively deployed IMO, unless a large amount of time was devoted to training exclusively with it.

I did see him shoot both barrels with 3" bird shot at a copperhead that was hiding in our wood pile..........I don't think a single pellet found it's target. I pulled out my Taurus 85UL and put a 158gr. semi-wadcutter through its' head. Like I said, it's definitely fun, but it isn't practical for much.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 14, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

That pretty well covers it.
The Cadillac is the Bond Arms, with very high quality.

However, the derringer has been overtaken by todays micro automatics and revolvers.
You can buy a micro automatic in 9mm or .40 caliber or a .38 or .357 revolver that's smaller and lighter then a derringer, holds more rounds, and is FAR faster and easier to use.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
BODAME

Derringers

Bonds Arms-#1 for Derringers , but North American Arms is a Excellent Mfg. of Small 22 & 22Mag Pocket Guns.
My Old 2 Cents
Hagen
Old March 14, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5
sheepman

Bond and American Derringer are the ones I would recommend for quality. As far as being useful they are heavy, only two shots and hard to shoot accurately. The ones I had did not shoot to the same point of aim with both barrels and the small grip made them uncomfortable to shoot. A snub or small auto is much more piratical. But if you want one for fun then the two brands above are the ones I would look at.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:17 PM   #6
briandg

someone correct me if I'm mistaken. High standard used to make a top quality line of derringer backups in calibers up to .357.

Don't know if these could be found. If you could find one, it should be good. Any problems with one of these would be pretty obvious.
Old March 14, 2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Master Blaster 2

High Standard only made plated and blued derringers in 22LR and 22 Mag

American Derringer made a stainless DA38 in 9MM, 40, and 38/357.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; March 14, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old March 14, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Deja vu

my Favorite one is the NAA mini revolvers. They are so small that you could CC them in a speedo.

IF you want more power I would recommend a pocket automatic or revolver some thing like 9mm or 40 or 38 special/357 magnum. They are about the same size as a derringer and they hold more rounds and are easier to shoot.

In my opinion any thing bigger than one of those NAA minis revolvers and you may as well go with a pocket gun as mentioned above.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 14, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
C0untZer0

Heizer DoubleTap:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ghlight=heizer

Old March 14, 2012, 10:53 PM   #10
C0untZer0

Bond Century 2000
Caliber:9mm (also 40S&W,10mm and .45 ACP)
Barrel: 3.5in
Length: 5.5in
Weight: 21 oz.
Capacity:2

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:2.9in
Length:5.2in
Height:3.7in
Weight:13.5oz
Capacity:6+1 Rounds

In this case you actually have a semi-auto that is about 1/4" shorter and 7.5 oz lighter than a "derringer" and it holds 5 more rounds of ammo.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Cowhand

Thanks for everyone's help. The Bond Century 2000 is certainly a nice looking gun and I like the trigger guard. I think that's what I'm looking for and I can get it in the same calibre as my SA Colt. I usually just fire .38 specials instead of .357 and I'm thinking that would be the way to go with that small a gun, too.

I should probably add that I have a couple of other small guns, including a PPK and a J Frame, but I just kind of like the look of a derringer.
Old March 15, 2012, 12:29 AM   #12
briandg

Quote:
High Standard only made plated and blued derringers in 22LR and 22 Mag
I'm probably wrong. I didn't find anything but the .22s in a search when I first posted.

Last High Standard catalog I saw was from the 70s. They were promoting duty revolvers in .357, and had backup derringers in the catalog. Back then, it wouldn't be that hard to have sold .22 magnum backup guns, they even thought that the .32 was high tech at that time. .22 magnum was probably acceptable.

That design doesn't look like I'd trust anything with more power than a .22 magnum or maybe 32 s&w in it.
Old March 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #13
dajowi

Sort of interesting response to reaching into a vest pocket and putting a little Derringer on the card table and exclaiming: "No ones a cheatin' here."
Old March 15, 2012, 09:09 AM   #14
C0untZer0

As derringers go, the Heizer looks like it has a nice feature in that the shooter doesn't have to manually cock a hammer for the second shot.

It has a double-action trigger.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

http://evylrobot.com/?p=1453

About serious derringer use for SD. Not positive.

That's different from having one for fun. Yes, they might work. I know a story of a shotgun wielding crook who was scared away when two old coots shot him in the belly with a 22 mag derringer and a 22 mag NAA.

I want a 4 barrel sharps in 32 HR mag - please make one somebody. Just because.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:49 AM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Bond is the best made, but you need to understand that it is not small. It's the biggest of the bunch & certainly no vest pocket gun.
Denis
Old March 15, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17
12GaugeShuggoth

Well apparently I was wrong, he actually has the Texas Defender model, not the Century 2000; 1/2" shorter barrel and no 3" shells. It doesn't have the Texas star grips like they show on the website though. He's had it for at least 5 or 6 years. Here's a comparison with my LCP:

As you can see, pretty close, though the Bond is definitely on the chunky side width-wise. Unlike the Rohrbaugh R9 referenced earlier, the LCP can actually be had for cheaper than the Bond. That said, the Bond is easily the higher quality firearm and is definitely more fun. The LCP is what it is, and nothing more. I've always liked derringers just for the factor.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 16, 2012, 12:16 AM   #18
KenW.

Derringer vs. micro-auto. The auto may make more sense for some, but there's just something about having a double barrel shotgun in your pocket with the Bond in 410.

I wouldn't pick it first for self defense. But I have and will continue to take one on my ATV trips in the desert.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:24 AM   #19
Master Blaster 2

The Cop, Semmerling and Downsizer are other Derringers out there. However not cheap. Up there above ther price of the Rohrbaugh pistol. The illusive Heizer 45 has been coming out for the last 2 years.
The Best new Derringer is a Bond Arms. They sell barrels in different calipers too. But it is heavy.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; March 17, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:07 AM   #20
BlueTrain

It makes you wonder if there were ever any good derringers. Yet they were manufactured for a long, long time, both one and two shot varieties. All were on the weak side but I suppose they had their devotees. At the same time you could also get small revolvers and small automatics showed up on the market arount 1900 as well. But you can still buy a derringer.

I think there's a place for them, although not in .45/.410 chamberings, much less .357. A derringer is clearly a last resort hideout gun. Sure, it takes a little practice and forethought and it is something for across-the-table shooting distances, same as a .25 auto. And unlike all those .45 Government Models you only think you're concealing, you really can hide a derringer--or a .25 auto.

Not that I have one.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 22, 2012, 11:15 AM   #21
DaleA

Quote:
http://evylrobot.com/?p=1453
About serious derringer use for SD. Not positive.
That was a fun rant to read.
Old July 28, 2014, 05:33 PM   #22
cluznar

Is there a good derringer on the market?

Derringers are thing of the past. Their time was in the old west. Why have a 2 shot derringer when you can have a 7 shot .32 like the kel tec P-32?
Or a small .380 like the Ruger LCP? Stick with the newer technology and get a small .32 or .380 they are much better than any derringer.
Old July 28, 2014, 06:28 PM   #23
SaxonPig

IMO the words "good" and "derringer" don't go together. There are much better designs that are nearly as compact.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:45 PM   #24
CWKahrFan

The NAA 5-shot revolver in .22 Magnum kinda floats my boat... It's quite well-made and truly a pocket gun. I pack the large(er)-grip version often.
Old August 8, 2014, 12:00 AM   #25
gyvel

Isn't "good derringer" a bit of an oxymoron, akin to "military intelligence" or "jumbo shrimp?"
SIFE
Closed Thread