The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 26, 2008, 12:49 AM   #26
MTMilitiaman

Yes, 7.62 NATO battle rifles don't fit the literal definition of an assault rifle, but then, if you want to argue semantics, none of the semi-automatic civilian legal clones count either. That makes this argument pretty stupid as the chances of most of us affording an actual assault rifle are slim to none. Even then, I found myself utterly unimpressed with automatic fire, and would take my M1A over just about any assault rifle on the market.

But fine. If you want me to pick an assault rifle, I'll pack a suppressed Krink with a Kobra and about four 30 round mags as backup to my M1A
Old May 26, 2008, 01:59 AM   #27
p99guy

There is no argument, just a specific question.

I found it quite easy to stay withen its context. If the civy clones of the same weapons are even considered, they are still the same intemediate calibers,
and will posess the same ergomomics (or lack of) as their title II brethern in all but one feature. And are of the same uses otherwise.

I love my Heavy Shilen Barreled .300 Weatherby Magnum for example, but It dont apply here either.
<wipe a tear>
Old May 29, 2008, 07:54 AM   #28
wjkuleck

Can we allow a distinction between a battle rifle cartridge and that of an assault rifle? While 99 44/100% of civilians will never have the opportunity to possess a true Sturmgehwer, that is, a select-fire intermediate-cartridge "carbine," we can possess some sort of semiauto rifle that chambers an intermediate cartridge.

The original intermediate to be adopted by a major power was the 7.92x33mm in the StG44, followed by the 7.62x49mm of the SKS (not a true assault rifle, but a tryout for the cartridge) and AK-47. The 5.56x45mm followed, with the Russians aping it with the 5.45x39mm. With the exception of some recent, unadopted rounds (e.g., 6x47mm SAW, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, etc., plus the new Chinese round), that's about it.

The rifles chambering 7.62x51mm (7.62 NATO) are more appropriately termed "battle rifles," as the 7.62x51mm was intended to provide the performance of the .30-'06 (7.62x66mm) in a shorter case. Thus, the M14/M1A, FAL, HK91, don't really fall into the "assault rifle" (in quotes, 'cause we're talking semiauto here) category.

If we consider the intermediate cartridges, we have the AK family, the AR-15 family, plus some rifles that fell by the wayside (e.g., Beretta AR-70, FN FNC) and some new contenders (SIG-556 being the newest).

For me, while I have a safe full of AK variants, I'll have to go with the AR-15, because of ammo availability and versatility with the modular concept: one lower, several (many?) uppers, changeable faster than you can change your trousers. I will say that for rugged simplicity the Valmet (in .223) does have its appeal.

If we are talking battle rifles, I'll take the M14. It's got the sights and the trigger its contemporaries lack. Come to thing of it, sights & trigger are the big drawbacks of the AK family.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old May 29, 2008, 09:30 AM   #29
Magnum Wheel Man

I guess I don't have any interest in anything "select fire"... well maybe if I won the lottery... until then, I have better things to spend that money on...

in fact, I don't even like the word "assult"... but I do have a sporterized SKS, a few Czech "old army" rifles, as well as a few American "old army" rifles...

if I had to choose one of all of those, it would be either one of these two...

Old May 29, 2008, 11:54 AM   #30
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

If I could have one and only one assault rifle... it'd be the AK 47.

It's ruggedness, simplicity, and overall reliability keeps me on track with this gun.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:37 PM   #31
SR420

Quote:
p99guy Guys while I own 7.62x51 Military rifles and like them well...the question was about "assault rifles" which by definition is an intermediate caliber(and select fire).
7.62 x 39 AK in the assault rifle role and the 7.62 NATO in the battle rifle role.

Old May 29, 2008, 01:08 PM   #32
milemission

If only one, I guess I'd go for an AR in 6.8 SPC.
Old May 29, 2008, 02:54 PM   #33
wjkuleck

Quote:
If only one, I guess I'd go for an AR in 6.8 SPC.
Now, there's a cartridge you can buy at any Wally World .

Regards,

Walt
Old May 29, 2008, 02:56 PM   #34
wjkuleck

If we're doing show 'n tell, here's the one I'd grab first:

Regards,

Walt
Old May 29, 2008, 03:24 PM   #35
bigbadbowtie

RPK....
Old May 29, 2008, 04:12 PM   #36
Tatsumi67

AK 105 or AK 104, proven design, no warping synthetic components.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:12 PM   #37
Ignition Override

In a defensive situation, my SKS.
Old May 30, 2008, 04:34 PM   #38
rdoggsilva

A Thompson 45 Sub Machine Gun. If it was good enough for Al, it is good enough for me.
Old May 30, 2008, 04:55 PM   #39
mellow_c

I'd have to say a nice Scout Squad M1A. But If I'm running around with a group of guys in some sort of battle, I'd like it if we didnt all have the same rifle. Maybe a few M1A's, a couple of shorter AK-47's and a shotgun for clearing houses.

But now that I think about it. There's always the SOCOM 16. Thats a short M1A. And it's gota be a good shot for long distance as well. Maybe one of those, with an Aimpoint on it, and you'd be set.

Yeah, that sounds good. My vote goes to the SOCOM 16 with an Aimpoint optic for Best Assault Rifle!
Old May 30, 2008, 05:32 PM   #40
SKYDOG308

AK if assualt CQB was the affair of the day and the strict limiter.......however if Battlerifle was the term used then the choice is clear LRB-M14-M25 with 1:10 Krieger bbl 22" match front sight, special self made ghost ring rear, Sadlak match guide spring rod, Sadlak TIN grooved Piston, GI trigger group tuned to crisp snap at 3.0 lbs, USGI Parts and rear sight assembly, IOR 1.1-4x23mm objective illuminated ballistic drop circle and dot scope and burris rings, Versapod bipod(s), one mount many legs. I'd have Ted Brown assemble it for me.

If moving by vehicle or aminal I'd carry both! And load heavy on 7.62x51 match ammo and mags and parts. The AK is keep the mostiquers off your back.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:31 PM   #41
L_Killkenny

Is a lever action .357 on the list? If not then...................none of the above?

LK
Old May 30, 2008, 08:30 PM   #42
Stevie-Ray

I suppose that taken as literally as one can without the "switch" my rifle would be the Colt AR-15 Tactical Carbine I now have. But as far as battle rifles go, read MTMilitiaman's first post and swap M1A with FAL and you have my opinion. As he loves his M1A, I love my FAL. As he'd love to have a FAL, I'd love to have an M1A. Too bad we don't live closer, we could hit the range and try out each other's rifles.
Old May 30, 2008, 08:51 PM   #43
Kreyzhorse

I don't own an "assault rifle", but I do own a SKS that I like a lot. 1951 Tula re-arsenaled in excellent shape, think I paid under $100 for it several years ago.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:55 PM   #44
High Planes Drifter

Not my favorite, but I'd pick my Bulgy AK47. Sure, I own other rifle's I enjoy shooting more, my small collection of AR's would be high on that list.

Kind of like a rancher going to the stable and looking at a line of thoroughbreds, and looking at a trusty ol' mule at the end. Just one? The reliable ol' mule gets the call.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:37 PM   #45
SKYDOG308

Pick one...SOCOM 16 ......that's what I'll bring. If I felt like the SOCOM 16 wasn't the right fit, then I'd just bring them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001-small.jpg (78.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0789 (2-small).jpg (60.4 KB, 67 views)
Old May 31, 2008, 12:39 AM   #46
Csspecs

Well if I only get one! I am assuming this is some sort of a stimulise program you are pitching to the government?

I will need several cases of ammo when uncle sam gets around to sending that to me!
Old May 31, 2008, 08:36 AM   #47
Tomac

FN PS90 for me: Short, manueverable, can be aimed/fired effectively w/one hand, fully ambidextrous, 50rd mag, mild muzzle blast, no muzzle flash, easier to fire from prone (no mag sticking out the bottom), ridiculously easy to strip/clean/maintain (blowback action, no gas system to clean/adjust), easy for other family members to use, ammo effective to 200m (I can't realistically see taking shots at that range, much less farther), ammo weighs half as much as 9mm or 5.56 so twice as much can be carried for a given weight and you can get a companion pistol in the same caliber (FN Five-seveN USG) to simplify logistics. It's not perfect but it suits my particular needs better than anything else (YMMV).
Tomac
Old May 31, 2008, 09:00 AM   #48
SKYDOG308

Tomac, It's good thing that the ammo is light and that you can carry all you will ever need, cause it's unlikely for quite a few years that you will find that five seven stuff laying on the shelf at the country store, guess they will put it in between the '06 and 12 gauge.......also there's the legal matter around that cartridge, will it be banned by next set of anti-gun legislation along with 50BMG it's written into the current drafts of the bills alledgly being held till lib's control both branches of gov. But if you will send me 20-30 thousand so I can have rifle and pistol combo with enough ammo to make me feel warm and fuzzy I'll join you.

The same attributes you attribute (aside from pistol brother) to the FN, I also see in the M1 carbine, funny that not once has that rifle been mentioned and CMP has a gazillion of them they are dumping into the hands oflaw abiding citizens. If I had to choose an alternate to my shrimp sized monster breathing fireball creator SOCOM 16 I would certainly consider the M1 Carbine, everyone in my family can handle shoot one, ammo is so so here and there available, reliablity is top drawer and best of all it's made out of wood and steel
Old May 31, 2008, 09:32 AM   #49
Tomac

Skydog, thx for the informative & objective input.
Whether or not 5.7 ammo (or any caliber I use) is available at the local store is moot since I always buy mine in case lots and stack 'em high & deep. I don't exactly see .30 Carbine ammo overflowing the local shelves either for that matter.
If the Dems get the AWB they want then no semi-auto, regardless of caliber, will be safe so again the point is moot.
While I consider the .30 M1 carbine to be a direct predecessor to the PS90 and a viable option it's still not as short as the PS90, as easy to clean/maintain, as flat-shooting, as easy to scope, doesn't have as many rds on tap in the mag, .30 ammo's not as light as 5.7 & the .30's steel & wood (beautiful as they may be) will not withstand the elements as well.
However, if the firearms you've chosen for your particular needs suit them best then by all means you have the right firearms for *you*...
Tomac
ETA: Here's a pic of the PS90 completely field stripped for cleaning (takes less than 30 seconds w/o any tools). All that needs cleaning is the bbl & chamber of the bbl group & the moving block group directly behind it in the pic (although I suppose you could wipe down the trigger pack w/a clean cloth once in awhile). Care to post a pic of the .30 carbine or your SOCOM 16 field stripped for cleaning, perhaps including what tools were needed and how long it took?:

Last edited by Tomac; May 31, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old May 31, 2008, 10:52 AM   #50
SKYDOG308

Tomac, I envy your selection,(I really do, as I said if I had the coin to stock the ammo then I WOULD HAVE THE SAME PLATFORM..READ MY POST AGAIN PLEASE) and there is no doubt that your system is definitely state of the art, the reality of this entire thread is (I believe in my objective state of mind) going to be much the same conclusion as the prefect "most accurate" rifle thread.....it's whatever you have found that works for you, I have not been able to find a single rifle that fits the needs of my entire family and friends (my circle of trust) so we have taken a platoon type methodology to the solution with a reasonable variety of weapons shooting as few different calibers as possible and trying to select calibers that are in plentiful supply at virtually any location globally. Several of us are pilots of both planes and sail boats.

I think often many of us think of our rifle as doing the "work" for us, without superior physical training, mental alertness and preparation, knowing the 'stakes and limits of the ONE rifle that one will used, then all this chatter becomes moot. It is good that these people have objective views about their weapon of choice, because the guy with one rifle, one load, iron sights and a superior knowledge of his/her surroundings is the one I fear the most. I personally also in my objective state of mind think that the folks that can afford to do so familiarize themselves thoroughly with the workings, repair and cleaning of as many different platforms of rifle defense as possible. Well I've rubbed my nickels together till they are only worth two cents so I therefore toss my two cents onto the woodpile, and shut up for awhile.