The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which handgun for home defense?
.45 FNX-45 Tactical 46 30.07%
9mm Beretta 92FS 54 35.29%
10mm Glock G20 13 8.50%
.357/ .38 Model M&P R8 40 26.14%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 2, 2014, 12:06 PM   #26
jmstr

I picked the .45.

I've fired the G20 and it didn't feel comfortable in my hands. Plus potential for overpenetration with full-hunting/sd loads.

I have held a Beretta M9/M92, and it also felt too thick for smooth transition of DA to SA shooting without changing grip.

I like revolvers and almost went with the .357 option, but would have been shooting it with .38+p for home defense, so I don't have over-penetration through a wall and hit my daughter [.357mag loads]. Probably over-thinking it, but may not be. Also, cost factors for an 8-shot .357mag.

The FNP in .45 is the one that fits my hand the best, which means I am more likely to hit what I am aiming at under stress. I am comfortable with .45acp rounds as well.

I had a problem because you are asking us to choose between both platforms AND calibers.

I'd rather have a caliber question OR a platform question, because my responses would be different based on the change to either.

For example, if the survey was:

Glock G21 .45acp
CZ7b 9mm
S&W M&P .40
Ruger GP100 .357mag

I'd pick the M&P .40, even though it is the round I like the least of all 4 on the list. However, it is the platform I can control the best [of the semi-autos] and has the round count advantage over the GP100 [which I wouldn't use full-house magnum loads in for house defense for reasons given above].

And, if you used either set of options with the question of while hiking or outdoors, I'd go with the .357mag revolvers.

Those are my reasons.
Old September 2, 2014, 12:28 PM   #27
old-dog

A FNX45 sits in my night table. You really do not need the tactical version for home defense. I put a laser on the rail and it is good to go.
Old September 2, 2014, 01:28 PM   #28
Dirty_Harry

Out of the choices given, the Beretta.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old September 2, 2014, 01:57 PM   #29
Grant D

I said Beretta 92FS.
I have one, but use the 92's granpa, a Walther P-38. for home defence.
Old September 2, 2014, 07:46 PM   #30
SauerGrapes

Out of the selection, I'd pick the FNX.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 3, 2014, 01:50 AM   #31
Brotherbadger

FNX-45 Tactical is the closest to my current carry gun, so i'd pick that.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old September 13, 2014, 08:08 PM   #32
mboylan

FN suppressed loaded with 220 +P Critical Duty. If the FN can handle 45 Super, then Underwood 230 XTPs.

Glock 20 is a real close second, nay change my mind.
Old September 13, 2014, 08:14 PM   #33
prm

As you probably know - any of the guns listed will do the job. My choice for home defense is a Remington 870, 12 gauge.
Old September 13, 2014, 08:21 PM   #34
Nick_C_S

My nightstand gun is a G20. The mag is holding 180g Federal Hydra-Shok's. They're a watered down loading, and I'm okay with that. Shot placement.
Old September 13, 2014, 08:55 PM   #35
Dragline45

My vote is for the Beretta, it's whats sitting in my nightstand right now.
Old September 13, 2014, 10:24 PM   #36
BIG P

All listed are good choices.Ill say G20 because I want one to go with my G21 & G30.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:15 PM   #37
Evil Monkey

there are 0 reasons to own a handgun for home defense.

Handguns are notoriously difficult to shoot under stress, even at close range.

Get a PCC.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:48 PM   #38
GM1967

Quote:
there are 0 reasons to own a handgun for home defense.
No?

What about answering the door? Hard to conceal that carbine or shotgun.

Manuevering through tight hallways and doorways? Avoiding having the gun grabbed and taken away from you? Back-up gun to that shotgun/carbine?

That's 4 reasons, not zero. Here's another -- pistols take less storage space. That might not be important to most people, but I'm sure it's important to some.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:50 PM   #39
skizzums

for home defense?.......anything over a .380 and more than 8 rounds. then practice a bunch.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:54 PM   #40
JeffK

I'd go with a rig like this, if I had to pick only one on your list. Utterly reliable and simple, and it's hard to imagine any realistic scenario where you will run out of ammo.

That said, the gun in my dresser drawer is a P226.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:50 PM   #41
Evil Monkey

Quote:
No?

What about answering the door? Hard to conceal that carbine or shotgun.

Manuevering through tight hallways and doorways? Avoiding having the gun grabbed and taken away from you? Back-up gun to that shotgun/carbine?

That's 4 reasons, not zero. Here's another -- pistols take less storage space. That might not be important to most people, but I'm sure it's important to some.
A typical 30inch carbine has practically the same distance from chest to muzzle as a pistol drawn out in an aiming position. Maneuverability is no issue.

If you're answering a door with a gun you're preforming home defense incorrectly.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old September 14, 2014, 11:18 PM   #42
Webleymkv

I shoot revolvers better than I do semi-autos (probably because I simply like and shoot them more) so I voted for the S&W M&P R8. As a matter of fact, I've given serious consideration to that very revolver or the very similar 327 TRR8 as a bedside gun due to the capability of both to mount a light.

I'm quite fond of the .357 Magnum as a defensive cartridge and I think that many of its supposed disadvantages are overstated and/or easily avoided with careful selection of ammunition. Many decry the flash and blast of the cartridge but I find it, subjectively at least, to be much more tolerable when one selects the heavier 140-158gr bullets. I certainly find them to be no worse than a 9mm +P/+P+, .357 Sig, or .40 S&W using 165 gr or lighter bullets (not surprising since all of those typically run at similar or higher velocities than the .357 Magnum loadings I prefer).

Also, many fear overpenetration but again by selecting a bullet which expands aggressively (I particularly like the scalloped-jacket hollowpoints used by Remington in their High Terminal Performance line) that risk can be greatly mitigated. Also, what many people fail to understand is that with an expanding bullet, all else held equal, increasing velocity usually decreases penetration because it increases expansion and/or fragmentation

The limited capacity of the revolver is of little concern to me in a home defense gun because the handgun is only to be used as an up-close and personal "get the hell off me" gun. If I'm barricaded in my bedroom trying to hold off multiple attackers until the cavalry can arrive, the handgun will be set aside while I reach for the shotgun or rifle.

Finally, for me anyway, the cost of the revolver in question, while certainly substantial, is not problematic. I am fortunate enough to be at a place in my life where I can afford not only this gun, but another one to replace it should I have to. While I don't think one necessarily has to spend a lot of money to be adequately protected, if the attributes of this particular gun serve me better in defending my life and/or that of my loved ones then I think it's money well-spent. I'm also a little bit puzzled at the notion that this gun is ungodly expensive. In my area, the M&P R8 generally retails NIB for $1100-1150. While that's certainly not cheap, the black rifle crowd often spend just as much if not more on an AR-15 or certain types of AK derivative and nobody seems to bat an eye about it. If anything, the increased level of complexity and required hand-fitting of a revolver should better justify its price tag. Supply and demand I suppose.
Old September 14, 2014, 11:22 PM   #43
skizzums

there has been many documented home invasions with up to 3 people. I don't think you can give a revolver a blanket statement of having enough ammo for whatever may come. I think everyone should be prepared for at least 4 intruders at their home, although unlikely, it does happen. I think 8 rounds would be an absolute minimum, but better off with at least 10-12. for the streets, I think any 5 shot revolver would almost always be enough. but you do not know what people are planning when doing a home invasion, they could be staking your house and getting a crew and a u-haul together, the more the merrier in that situation so they can be out fast. that's just me, and that's how I see it, and that's what makes me feel comfortable....a full-size hi-cap(12-15) rounds. will I need it, probably won even need one round, but that mindset keeps me comfortable. the caliber is less important, just so long as I can spray and pray if I have to
Old September 15, 2014, 07:00 AM   #44
smee78

I too voted for the FNX 45, with 15+1 on tap and a nice light on it it should be good to go. Second would be the 357 loaded with 38spls and a nice light.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:05 AM   #45
FAS1

What more could you want other than screwing on a suppressor to protect your hearing.

Old September 15, 2014, 09:37 AM   #46
JeffK

Some interesting statistics on defense scenarios,
http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...-findings.html

These are averages, and obviously there can be unusual situations far out of the norm, but:

* Private citizens reload in approximately 0.5% of shooting incidents.
* Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.
* Handguns were used in 78% of incidents while long guns were used in 13%; in the balance the type of firearm was not reported. The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%, with most .38s apparently being of the 5 shot variety. Mouseguns (.380s and below) were at 23%, and .40 caliber and up at 15%.
* Multiple conspirators were involved in 36% of the incidents. However, there are no apparent cases of drivers or lookouts acting as reinforcements for the criminal actor(s) once shooting starts. Immediate flight is the most common response for drivers and lookouts at the sound of gunfire.
* The shooting distance in the vast majority of cases was slightly in excess of arm's length. At this distances, even .22s and .25s are highly immediately lethal.
* A revolver, even J-frame, is perfectly capable of dealing with almost all of the incidents. The ones which were beyond the capabilities of a five shot revolver would be best deal with by a shotgun, anyway.
* For those who do not practice, a revolver is far preferable to the autoloader because of the revolver's simpler manual of arms. Eighty per cent of gunshot wounds are self-inflicted. Guns are handled many times more than they are shot and so safe gunhandling qualities are much more important characteristics than its ability to be shot accurately and reloaded quickly. Revolvers are much less likely than autoloaders to AD in the hands of novices.
Old September 15, 2014, 10:18 AM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

If there is zero reason to own a handgun for home defense, and if maneuverability is no issue, then why do ALL the police have handguns?

I'm sure you consider your opinions valid, and for you, they could well be, but the rest of the world thinks somewhat differently.
Old September 15, 2014, 01:48 PM   #48
skizzums

Interesting statistics, thank you. My brother and his wife were held hostage by two armed thugs, so I like to be prepared for 3 as worse case. I think if I was able to shoot at even 50% of my ability, I should be able to handle 3 guys with 9 shots. So for me to be comfortable, revolvers are out as a first line home defense gun. I do carry a revolver for cc though, because I feel you have a greater opportunity to leave the situation after dealing with one or possibly two aggressors
Old September 15, 2014, 07:55 PM   #49
tony pasley

The answer to this is the same as always which is the one you shoot best.
Old September 16, 2014, 07:20 AM   #50
2ndsojourn

For me, none of the above mentioned in the poll.

I like fancy guns as much as anyone, but here in NJ (and probably most places), if you have to use it for home defense you're gonna lose it to the police. So I switched to the least expensive, reliable, easily replaceable gun I have. Plain 'ol G19.
Closed Thread