The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 18, 2014, 11:43 AM   #1
alaskabushman

Break-in period

After almost 7 years of being a pocket carry proponent I decided to try an IWB holster. It took a lot of searching to find a lefthanded IWB for the LCR, but Alien Gear had that in their options and for $45 I got the IWB and belt slide holsters. Since I'm new to this method of carry I am wondering...how long does it take to break in the leather on an IWB holster? The quality on the Alien Gear is good, but the leather is stiff and pretty uncomfortable to wear. After a little playing around with the position (I settled on an 8 o clock location, which seems pretty standard) it was better, at least I could sit down without getting gouged in the side. I wear leather shoes and I know it can take a week or two for those to get broken in to where they are comfortable. Any advise on this method of carry? How long did it take you to break in the leather on your IWB?
Old August 18, 2014, 12:47 PM   #2
RX-79G

What would need to break in to be comfortable? If the leather just closely follows the contour of the gun, it is never going to break in. If there is a large flap of just leather, you can bend or soften just the problem area.
Old August 18, 2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Grant D

It's a Kydex holster bolted to a piece of leather, what's to break in.
I have two of that type of IWB, a Crossbreed, and a Galco king tuk, and both have worked well from day one.
Old August 18, 2014, 01:17 PM   #4
RX-79G

Yeah, Kydex (plastic) does not change shape or get softer over time and use.
Old August 18, 2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Glockstar .40

OP, are you talking about a break in period for the leather backing? There's really not much that's going to break in. My crossbreeds leather backing is a little more bent from wrapping around my hip but basically works the same as when I first got it. If your talking about the front piece, well that's kydex like Rx and grant have said and it won't break in. If your gun doesn't fit correctly you should send it back to alien gear and have them fix it.
Old August 18, 2014, 01:31 PM   #6
alaskabushman

its a hybrid, there is a kydex shell bolted to a leather backing piece.

it just seems like the leather is really stiff, like I said this is the first I've worn a holster like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 804BB8C1-1F66-4593-84BE-F5BB81B6BDBC_zpsooprmhzo.jpg (73.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by alaskabushman; August 18, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 18, 2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Glockstar .40

I have no experience with alien gear but have a couple hybrid holsters. My crossbreed fits the same as it always has. Maybe just need some time to get used to carrying with this type of holster. It's a different breed compared to pocket carry.
Old August 18, 2014, 02:34 PM   #8
BigJimP

You'll probably get used to it in a few weeks...( not really a break in period on that kind of material )....

( but its part of the reason why I prefer Kramer horsehide holsters...)...
Old August 18, 2014, 06:19 PM   #9
alaskabushman

Glockstar, you may be right.
Old August 18, 2014, 06:42 PM   #10
AK103K

Carrying IWB is more about breaking you in, than it is the holster.

You need to find your sweet spot, and let your body get used to it being there. That does take about a week or so.

Once it does, you wont notice it much after that.
Old August 18, 2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Yeah, that ain't going to break in.

In all seriousness, a pair of pants one size larger than what you normally wear will give you a little more room to carry IWB. It will make a difference.
Old August 18, 2014, 07:00 PM   #12
AK103K

I find that my normal pant size works best, and helps keep the gun in place better. The material normally "gives" quickly, and its only snug when you first put them on.

Another problem with buying one size larger is, it isnt just the waist they make bigger, everything is bigger, and the pants look like they dont fit, and if you should decide not to wear your gun, they wont.
Old August 19, 2014, 08:40 PM   #13
Auto5

The belt is half the battle. If you don't already have one, get a real gun belt. I like Galco, but there are plenty of other good ones on the market. You would be amazed at what a difference it makes with all types of holsters.
Old August 22, 2014, 04:56 AM   #14
s3779m

Quote:
The belt is half the battle. If you don't already have one, get a real gun belt. I like Galco, but there are plenty of other good ones on the market. You would be amazed at what a difference it makes with all types of holsters.
Auto5, do the belts make a difference with in the waistband carry? We are still backwards down here and don't allow open carry.
Old August 22, 2014, 06:28 AM   #15
AK103K

A good belt makes a major difference, IWB or OWB. Gun belts are usually thicker, stiffer, wider, and offer much better support.

Ive used a number of different type belts from many of the big name makers, and my all around favorite is the 1.75" nylon 5 stitch Wilderness Instructors belt. (http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/)

Very comfortable and secure, and it is infinite in adjustment through its size range. You dont have to "hit a hole", and can get the perfect fit, even if you put on, or take off a few pounds over time. The only downside to them is, they are "utilitarian", and may not fit your needs if you need something a little more dressy.

They also are pretty well known a a gun belt, and may be a giveaway to those who know what they are looking at. Then again, most gun belts look like gun belts, to those who know what they are.

And as I said earlier too, wear your normal size pant size, and they add to the support, by helping fix the holster in place when carrying IWB.
Old August 22, 2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Alpena

Buy a bottle of Leather Lightning from Mitch Rosen extraordinary. I bought one with my last holster and it broke them in practically overnight. It's about $12 last time I checked and it does work without damaging the leather.
Old August 24, 2014, 03:49 PM   #17
dayman

I found the leather (horsehide) backing on mine did break in a bit. It's pretty well molded to me at this point.
Try wearing it while sweating profusely a few times.
You could also probably try getting it wet with water and wearing it around.

Also, I'll echo everyone else and stress the importance of a decent gun belt.
Rigid holsters makes some pretty nice looking kydex reinforced leather belts that don't scream "gun belt". Reasonable prices too.
For nylon, I like the ICE "claw" RAC belt.