The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 21, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
dsk10

Armsport 45-70 1866 Sharps Repo

Went to a Gun Show last week and came across a Armsport 45-70 1866 Sharps repo, and it just jumped in my arms so I traded my old O/U. It is in new condition, but would like to shoot it off and on. It will be mostly a wallhanger. I stopped reloading yrs ago but may have to start again. I'm an old fart looking for "sissy" loads with a 300gr bullet. Looking for help. Thanks!
Old January 21, 2010, 05:01 PM   #2
TomADC

Do a search here, I just bought a 100 rounds of Goex 405 gr 45-70.
Just remember after you shoot it a through cleaning is in order.
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order_ammo.htm

BTW I'm an older fart and black powder cartridge loads aren't bad on recoil. the 385 gr is very mild.
Old January 22, 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
dsk10

Tom: My Sharps is a reproduction and is labeled for smokeless powder. You raise a good point, could I shoot black powder? My BP experience is washing the barrel in soap & water, but this gun does not come apart.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Buzzcook

Open the breech, place the muzzle in a bucket of soapy water, use a brush through the breech to slosh the soapy water around inside the barrel. Kinda like a pump.
Rinse, dry and oil it up.
Old January 24, 2010, 04:16 PM   #5
TomADC

Quote:
Tom: My Sharps is a reproduction and is labeled for smokeless powder. You raise a good point, could I shoot black powder? My BP experience is washing the barrel in soap & water, but this gun does not come apart.
I'm shooting these in my H&R Trapddor & as soon as my Pedersoli Sharps arrives I'm going to shhot them in it also. As soon as I get enough empty brass I'm going to work up some smokeless loads for the Sharps.
Old January 24, 2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Jim Watson

You don't have to wash your Sharps in a bucket. No wonder people think BPCR is messy.

I use the Venturino Formula of Windex All Surface With Vinegar diluted 50:50 with water. A 4 oz bottle lasts several shoots. The water does the work, a little bit of any soap or detergent is just a surfactant to help it penetrate.

I use a blow tube between shots to make the BPCR Silhouette rate of fire of 5 targets plus sighters (3 or 4) in 7 minutes. When done shooting, I blow twice as many times to soften the fouling and push a loose patch through to get out the worst of the accumulated bullet lube and fouling. Then I patch and brush with Windex til clean, being sure to get the lube star and fouling off the muzzle; and then dry and oil. A damp cloth will wipe the soot off the outside and an oily cloth will preserve the finish. Faster than getting the copper out of my .308, even including a reclean at home to get any spots I missed.

A good tight inletting job keeps the fouling out of the lockwork. You can easily pull the breechblock out of a Sharps to clean around it occasionally.

Friend of mine has been shooting a Shiloh for 15+ years plus, always with black, with that cleaning regimen and it is hard to tell from new. My Winchester seems to be holding up after about half that much use. By me, it was 100 years old when I got into BPCR.
Old January 25, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7
dsk10

Thanks all for the info! Jim: what is a blow tube? My BP days ended when the guy shooting next to me custom Kentucky Long rifle blew up after he drove 2 balls down the barrel. Also, does anyone have any smokeless sissy loads worked up?
Old January 25, 2010, 06:43 PM   #8
TomADC

If this link does go straight to 45-70 loads then back it up and reset to 45-70 Trapdoor loads, these are smokeless but mild.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

300 GR. CAST LFP Hodgdon H4198 .458" 2.465" 30.0 1390 14,400 CUP 35.5 1641 16,100 CUP

Okay you'll have to start it over and click the "I Agree" box first then go to cartridge, rifle 45-70 trapdoor.
They do let you print the charts.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:08 PM   #9
Freightman

Go to http;//www.castpics.net and read some of the articles, lots of fun.