The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2000, 12:15 PM   #1
LOCHFAL

I have been having a problem chambering my .308 reloads in my FAL. I read somewhere that for semi autos there are small base dies made to ease this problem. Where can I get them and does LEE make them or am I going to have to go to another manufacturer?
I havn't seen them in the wideners or midway catalogs.
Old March 20, 2000, 01:50 PM   #2
Paul B.

Lochfal, RCBS makes them. Your local dealer can order them, or you can order them from Huntingtons. (www.huntingtons.com)
Ph: (530) 534-1210.
Part #15531, price $23.95 in my catalog. (1999 issue)
Old March 20, 2000, 11:54 PM   #3
alan

When I shot an M-1 rifle,30-06 I used standard RCBS dies, and never needed small base sizer. I believe that RCBS makes a small base sizer though.

Have you checked your case length, and oal of loaded round? These factors could cause chambering problems. Also, do you have your dies set up correctly?

In cal 308, I used to use range pickup brass, that had been fired in Match M-14's. I reloaded this brass using a standard f.l. sizing die, and never had any chambering problems in close chambered bolt rifles. Have you checked the chamber of your FAL? It might be overly large, which could cause resizing problems.