The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
603Country

Best case trimmer?

I have an RCBS case trimmer that I've used for years. It works Ok, but I'm not sure that it's trimming the brass exactly square with the base. The guns all shoot fine, so it's not a real big concern of mine, but I still wonder what trimmer others use and why. What do you serious target shooters use, and do you believe that it makes a noticeable difference in accuracy?
Old April 15, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Inspector3711

If it aint broke..... But if you decide you need a new toy anyway, I like my Forster. I bought a kit from Cabelas that comes with arbors and bushings, saves some cash in the end. Later I added the power adapter for about $8 so it's powered by a cordless drill.

You can add other accessories to it as well.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

Mine is a Sinclair. Made for serious target shooters. Not fancy but simple and well made. I dunno if Sinclair is still in business.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
wncchester

Gracy.
Old April 15, 2011, 05:38 PM   #5
amamnn

Best is of course a relative term........... The Wilson/Sinclair combo with a micrometer adjustment might be termed "best" by some people who load a lot of different cartridges and who actually DO write down what the micrometer read for thus and such a case and cartridge in such and such a lot # on such and such a date....................The Forster might be considered "best" because of its flexibility--you can trim and turn and ream and now they even have a trim -chamfer and debur in one step function for it. These are both hand cranked units--if you are not looking for precision, but volume ---the motorized versions of these two and all others are pretty much the same as far as I have seen. BTW, the Forster can be used with an attachment to hook it up to an electric drill/screwdriver--the Wilson may be the same I am not sure--I know the Forster has that capability because I use it.
Old April 16, 2011, 12:20 PM   #6
603Country

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't decided whether or not to go with the Wilson/Sinclair, but that would be what I'd buy.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:12 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

When I was looking for a decent case trimmer, I spent more time comparing reviews and the cost of accessories, than the actual cost of the trimmer.

Although the Forster had better reviews, it lacked some critical accessories, at the time. I ended up buying the Hornady trimmer, and have absolutely no issues with it. But.... the Forster now has more accessories available.

I've used Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and Herters trimmers. They're all essentially the same. The only major differences are usually case mounting methods and cutter blade attachment methods. Until you get to the Wilson/Sinclair, it makes more sense buy based on accessories available, rather than just the trimmer's features.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:29 PM   #8
hooligan1

I use an old Forster, it does everthing I could ask of it.(for my simple needs)
Old April 16, 2011, 01:37 PM   #9
LOUD

Mine is a Hornady and it works great , just set it up and all your cases come out the same ....its a good product and the shell holders work in my press as well............LOUD
Old April 16, 2011, 07:17 PM   #10
603Country

I guess I'll stick with what I have, now that I realize that I really do have all the bits and pieces. Spending more money, in this case, might not help too much, and I'm not a bench or precision shooter. I am however an Engineer, which makes me a rather picky person when it come to the details of reloading (and most everything else). My biggest shooting handicap is the interface between bench and rifle.
Old April 16, 2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Memnok

I hear good things about the Possum Hollow trimmers, although I have no personal experience with them. I'd like to try them for 223. They size based on the neck rather than the base.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old April 16, 2011, 09:20 PM   #12
chiefr

Most of my trimming is on a Forster which I have owned for over 40 years.
If I must trim a great deal, IE shortening brass, I use my RCBS power pro trimmer.