The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 13, 2008, 04:09 PM   #76
Bauer

Quote:
Some do. Mine lets you have a 9mm, .40 or .45.....as long as its a Glock.
Others on the Left Coast let you pick one of the three but buy your own gun out of a list of approved...differs by area and politics.
Is that SPD?
Old November 13, 2008, 06:07 PM   #77
Sulaco2

^

Nope.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:30 PM   #78
Bauer

Ah what is it? I have questions for you! I think I want to try and get into that field but right now I am forcing myself to go to school at CWU in ellensburg. Perhaps I will PM you soon.
Old November 13, 2008, 10:19 PM   #79
SPUSCG

my local police issue hkusp45s, but the detectives carry 9s since they dont want a big heavy gun they'll never use. In portland the officers carry mostly a S&W .45, dont know what type, 8 round mags i know from reading a shooting report, but i saw an older officer with a .357. Most officers pick department issue to share ammo and the such but will adapt to needs of job or what they feel best with. I dont mind recoil, i find mausers to be a delightful plinker, so i think i may go with .45
Old November 14, 2008, 01:47 AM   #80
Dallas Jack

The results in the M&S charts only covered shootings in which the perp ceased hostilities after being struck by one round. This does not mean that he was killed or even incapacitated. Just stopped. The problem I have with the M&S charts is the way the data was collected/excluded. The new generation of bullet designs would most likely change the results if the data were collected today.

I have been hearing about these "Strasbough Test" for years and after reading it I suspect it never happened. The report is lacking in medical results and reads more like it was written by a SF writer.

I see no need to squabble over calibers. I may carry a .380, 9mm, 40S&W, or .45 ACP depending on my mood and don't feel undergunned with any of them.

My intentions are to shoot to stop and see no reason to get stingy with the rounds.

The opinions above are mine and mine alone.

Dallas Jack
Old November 14, 2008, 07:35 AM   #81
skydiver3346

The most effective caliber?

I think when its all said and done, having ANY caliber weapon with you ("when the chips are down") is the best caliber. You can make arguments for all types of guns and calibers. Keltyke said it best, "too many varibles to make any caliber the best". But, I gotta admit, when and if the chips ever go down on me, it sure is comforting to know I have my Colt 1911 loaded with Winchester Black Talons (230 gr) to even the score......
Old November 14, 2008, 10:01 AM   #82
Socrates

The flash and bang out of a 45 should, or could, be nearly twice that of a 9mm, due to the case capacity difference.

Tamara: I was thinking of a very specific instance: the 500 S&@, using near or over 700 grain bullets, in stock barrels. See John Ross about stabilizing such bullets.

And, not really quantifiable, or maybe not adequately explained is the geometric effect, or appearance of effect, when you start moving 260 grain or heavier bullets, in 45 or larger calibers, at 1200 fps, or more, in a handgun.

Even ft-lbs of energy don't quantify the wound channel photos, and observations of effect, out of a handgun...
Old November 14, 2008, 10:06 AM   #83
Glenn E. Meyer

Black Talons - a blast from the past.

The ultimate stopper that will hang you in court and banned by the Feds or the UN. The buzz saw through human flesh. Let the flames begin.
Old November 14, 2008, 05:36 PM   #84
SPUSCG

this is rediculous

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,451932,00.html
Old November 25, 2008, 07:04 AM   #85
Regular Joe

Strasbourg tests

The strasbourg tests did in fact happen.
http://www.thegunzone.com/strasbourg.html
Discussion of really huge projectiles in monstrously powerful calibers is meaningless in terms of stopping power, since most of the projectiles don't even begin to expand in a mass as small as a human being. If it's a relatively light projo, designed like the Speer gold dot, the real defining wound is going to be the irreparable exit. I fooled around a bit with .44 mag, using the 180 gr. GD @ around 1,800 fps from a 9.5" Ruger SRH. My testing proved definitively that if you shoot a 5 lb. can of peanut butter from 20 feet away with that thing, you will be covered in the stuff. That's all it proved, but boy was it scary!
Old November 25, 2008, 04:39 PM   #86
Sulaco2

Well we have the zombie peanut butter cans covered!

Let the Zombie wars begin!!