The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2014, 09:48 PM   #26
Vance

Quote:
TimW77 "all modern dies with 7/8-14 threads are completely interchangeable with all modern presses."

Not quite true...

.50 BMG dies and I'm sure other large cased cartridges use a standard 1 1/2-12 thread on their dies and accessories...

T.
True enough. All modern presses able to be used with the 1 1/2 x 12 thread dies usually come with an insert that will allow you to use the 7/8 x 14 thread dies.
Old November 2, 2014, 11:34 PM   #27
bb07

"all modern dies with 7/8-14 threads are completely interchangeable with all modern presses."

Not quite true...

.50 BMG dies and I'm sure other large cased cartridges use a standard 1 1/2-12 thread on their dies and accessories...

T.

You are correct. But I was talking specifically about 7/8''-14 dies. And in the context of the OP I was trying to explain that the 7/8''-14 dies he had would fit interchangeably with the brands he mentioned. I didn't want to confuse someone relatively new to reloading with specialized dies, presses etc., let alone the thread size of .50BMG. I'm sure that he would learn about more specialized tools as time went by and his knowledge and experience grew.
This was also why I suggested that he do research and lots of reading.
Good point though, thanks.