The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 17, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1
jimpeel

Politically correct segregation

The University of Colorado Boulder and University of Colorado at Colorado Springs are going to set up dormitories that are strictly for CCW licensees. They will be segregated from the rest of the student body. All other dorms will be declared off limits to firearms and CCW licensees.

CCW licensees will also be banned from all events on campus. Where tickets are sold, they will state contractually that anyone with a CCW will not bring their firearms to those events. Those persons who are CCW licensees will be treated as a pariah.

SOURCE

Quote:
CU to segregate dorms for students with concealed carry permits
Posted: 08/16/2012 10:27:52 AM MDT
Updated: 08/16/2012 03:45:47 PM MDT
By Ryan Parker
The Denver Post

The University of Colorado Boulder and University of Colorado at Colorado Springs are amending their student housing contracts, segregating students who possess a valid concealed weapons carry permit.

In addition, attendees at ticketed athletic and cultural events, such as football games and theater, on both campuses, will not be permitted to bring their guns, officials said.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old August 17, 2012, 12:23 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Very interesting... Thanks for the info...

Quote:
Those persons who are CCW licensees will be treated as a pariah.
I don't see that happening IN GENERAL... As with so many various groups on campuses, some will like, some won't, some will be indifferent.

CCWers will, however, be more easily indentifiable simply due to the dorm they live in... that's unfortunate.
Old August 17, 2012, 12:42 AM   #3
BarryLee

I’m not really sure if this makes the CCW Dorm more of a target for criminals or not. On one hand we know the residents are armed, but on the other hand you know they often are forced to leave the gun in their room.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 17, 2012, 12:52 AM   #4
jimpeel

The policy is that they must have the firearms locked away in a safe unless it is on their person.

What's next -- special counters in the cafeteria and seating in the back of the campus shuttle bus? Well, the joke will be on them. CCW holders already sit at the back of the bus so they can see any threats.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old August 17, 2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Jim March

You know...this could backfire in our favor. Give it a couple of years and then tally up the violence rates in our dorms versus the rest .
Old August 17, 2012, 05:36 AM   #6
spacecoast

I see it as a first step toward normalizing CCW on campus. A foot in the door...
Old August 17, 2012, 06:09 AM   #7
foxytwo

The dorm for ccw carriers is not on campus but downtown. I don't know how far it is to the campus, but they may be putting an extra burden on them to reduce, or eliminate, the number of people that want to carry on campus.

More information is needed.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Crosshair

People tend to segregate on their own. The problem always has been government mandated segregation. We all discriminate in some form or another.

I kind of like Jim March's idea. By segregating CCW holders it will provide a wealth of statistics comparing CCW holders to non CCW holders and odds are it will come out in our favor.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:49 AM   #9
vranasaurus

Is the age for a permit in CO 21? From my college experience the vast majority of people living in college housing are under 21.

I don't have a problem with requiring firearms be secured when the owner or roommate (if trusted) is not present as securing firearms in such situations is prudent and the communal nature of dorms increases the risk of theft.

Before anyone jumps on me secured could be as simple as locking ones door as most "safes" (read residential security containers) are really not all that secure.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:16 AM   #10
FloridaVeteran

This reminds me of the old question, "How many mass shootings have there been at gun shows?" I'd live in the CCW dorm. I'm so old that when I was in college, concealed carry hadn't been addressed. Not many students did carry, because there was no perceived need, but it was no big deal and many of us had one or more guns in our rooms. Back then, romancing usually had to be in a car, in a lonely spot and after dark, so I darn sure always had a revolver close at hand. I never needed it, but it was very reassuring.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:39 AM   #11
g.willikers

It seems that the easiest way to get education administrators confuzzled is to ask them to reason out a solution to a problem.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Hazborgufen

Anyone making a "back of the bus" comment or comparing this to lunch counter segregation is clearly dense or didn't read the article. This isn't some kind of Jim Crow law against CCW holders and nobody is going to be the next Rosa Parks or of gun rights here. Don't be minimizing the accomplishments of the civil rights movement by trying to compare this story to it.

This is clearly an accommodation for the tiny fraction of people over the age of 21 who want to keep their firearms in their dorm rooms. The fraction is tiny because most people by that age are living in a private apartment.
This story is a good thing as it is at least an effort at compromise. Allowing firearms on school property is huge.

Take a step back and realize you are jumping at phantoms here.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazborgufen
This story is a good thing as it is at least an effort at compromise. Allowing firearms on school property is huge.
There is no compromise here. The University is not "allowing" firearms on campus. Firearms on campus in Colorado has been legal for several years. The University doesn't have a choice in the matter. The University's segregating of permit holders is in fact a step backwards as the school pushes back against a law they strenuously resisted in court. This is just plain harassment of permit holders and I forsee a lawsuit challenging these baseless school requirements in the near future.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I wonder how long it will be until someone challenges this based on the precepts of Brown vs. Board of Education finding that "separate but equal" facilities and strict segregation of a class of individuals to those facilities is inherehently unequal.

This could get interesting.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

"Separate but equal" was my first thought, as well. On the flip side of that, though, concealed carry permit holders are not a protected class.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

I think it is a good thing as a first step, that leads to the challenges mentioned below.

Protected class sounds good to me - that would void the bans allowed by businesses and employers. I'm for that.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Gary L. Griffiths

Colorado University to Segregate Dorm for Students with Gun Permits

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...le+Feedfetcher

Forced by the Colorado Supreme Court to allow students with concealed weapons permits to carry on campus, Colorado University now proposes to segregate such students in separate living facilities, will continue to ban possession in all other residences.

Can't be too careful -- look at all the massacres at Colorado State after they allowed concealed carry on campus.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old August 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #18
kfd82

Reading the article, the vice president of the Board of Regents calls student housing 'essentially landlord-tenant' in relationship. Shouldn't this allow the students the normal protections afforded tenants of rental properties? Modifying the housing contract prior to signing (initial any changes) comes to mind...
Old August 17, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
Rachen

This is making shivers run up and down my spine...

Goes to show that the elitist extremist ideology, the same ideology which promoted segregation and violent racism in this country until the 1970s, is still alive in the minds of those who want to impose total control on the population.

This issue must be made viral online so everyone will know about it.

Our opposing voices must be strong and solid, or these elitists are going to win by incrementalism again.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:46 AM   #20
cannonfire

Already under discussion in the Law and Civil Rights forum...

http://http://thefiringline.com/foru...d.php?t=498563
Old August 17, 2012, 09:47 AM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Thread merge....
Old August 17, 2012, 10:44 AM   #22
scrubcedar

You have to understand who is involved here. This is CU Boulder, proudly situated in the peoples republic of Boulder. These people refer to communists as "those right wing nut jobs" This the place where Ward Churchill taught and was well loved. Look a little deeper into the politics of the people involved here and tell me that there was no malign intent, I'll listen, but since I do know them I can't promise not to laugh.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:11 AM   #23
Hazborgufen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post
There is no compromise here. The University is not "allowing" firearms on campus. Firearms on campus in Colorado has been legal for several years. The University doesn't have a choice in the matter. The University's segregating of permit holders is in fact a step backwards as the school pushes back against a law they strenuously resisted in court. This is just plain harassment of permit holders and I forsee a lawsuit challenging these baseless school requirements in the near future.
I'll admit that I was unaware of the intricacies of Colorado's CCW laws. Living outside of Chicago, we don't have CCW laws, let alone any public debate over campus carry. So I am out of my element in that regard. I can totally understand the frustration of having new laws or policies passed as a "reasonable accommodation" which are anything but. I've posted extensively about the ridiculous nature of the Chicago ordinance that was passed in response to the Heller decision. So for that I apologize.

I still maintain that the wild hysterics and comparison to Jim Crow era segregation it's just plain distasteful at best and counter productive at worst. To the average person, seeing comments saying that only allowing guns in specific dorms is akin to segregated lunch counters comes off as lunacy, particularly since "gun owner" isn't a protected class. If it ever does become one, then people can validly make the comparison, but until then I feel that those types of comments only serve to hurt gun owners' image. And since that image can translate into votes leading to more gun control, I would say that it is very much in our best interest not to come off as lunatics.

Bringing it back to living in my area of Illinois, it is really hard to debate the validity of gun ownership in general, let alone concealed carry. Having people automatically dismiss the argument because of their preconceived image of "gun nuts" is pretty common. So all I can say is that adding to that image is really not helping.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There was a time when "race" and gender weren't protected classes. Should people have waited until they WERE protected in order to protest discrimination?

Seems like putting the horse behind the cart... and then saying you can't put the horse in front until you have agreement from the anti-horse people that it belongs there.

In other words, if WE don't act like a "protected class" how are we ever going to convince anyone else that we should be?
Old August 17, 2012, 12:15 PM   #25
raimius

Hazborgufen, would you object if your landlord told you that you could only live in the corner apartment, if you had a FOID card? That's essentially the case here.