The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 25, 2011, 10:38 PM   #51
Hiker 1

Hiker1, that would only be possible if the dog were in a coma upon arrival. If one is really worried about them taking out your lone dog, get another dog and that'll turn away even more people.

Probably true. It' also highly unlikely that 5 somewhat-organized armed BG's are going to target your house anyway.

If they have recon'd your house, know you have protective dogs, they're probably not coming. If they know this and come anyway, there is something inside that they want pretty badly.
Old August 26, 2011, 03:02 PM   #52
threegun

I was talking to a detective from the Tampa Police Department on Tuesday and he said in his 10 years of service he has seen only one home invasion that was NOT linked to drugs (as in home owner is a dope dealer). Seems they are rare for those of us who aren't into curb side pharmaceuticals.
Old August 28, 2011, 03:15 AM   #53
T. O'Heir

"...Would even a 12 ga shotgun have been..." Yep. If you are good enough and have practiced on multiple targets. Mind you, nothing is going to help when you're pulled nekkid from the shower.
A dog can make a difference though. Even little dogs. Territorial creatures, so they are, that will defend their humans. Most criminals are afraid of dogs too.
"...NOT linked to drugs..." Mostly Asian gangbangers attacking hard working Asian businessmen's homes, up here.
Old August 28, 2011, 04:52 AM   #54
1911Colt

Times (or the area) are pretty bad when you have to carry a gun in the shower ...
Old August 29, 2011, 12:38 PM   #55
VinnyT

Quote:
Layers! Lighting outside, cameras outside, burglar bars, alarm system, rotweiler, and finally my family. I have given us an ounce of prevention plus the time to identify that we are under attack and acquire the defensive tools needed to repel an attack.
Sad we have gotten to this point. I agree to be proactive but damn you need to live too! I have the basics: Deadbolts & outside lighting. If someone still wants to break-in, they will receive a warning & then the business end of the nine. I will not live in fear or worry about stopping a BG from harming me or my family.
Old August 29, 2011, 04:06 PM   #56
threegun

VinnyT, I don't live in fear. Not from attack anyway. My fear is not keeping my kids and even the wife LOL safe.

With my system in place it allows me to let my guard down from condition yellow while in my home and still have the time to meet an attack. It gives me peace of mind especially when my kids or wife are home alone. Finally it keeps my valuables safe when we aren't home.

I can grab my cell phone or a laptop and literally see inside and outside my house live from 16 cameras (13 outside and 3 inside) all but two of them are night vision capable. This whole system cost only 2500 bucks. Thats DVR, Cameras, Cables, Power supplies, and Connectors. I did the install which was easy as pie.

If they still want to come in, I have the firearms waiting also.
Old August 29, 2011, 06:17 PM   #57
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
When you've never had:

a break-in
a friend or family member murdered
and etc.

it is easy to lull oneself into the false security that comes with such good fortune, or maybe lack of misfortune.
Very true, I just had a conversation with a gentleman that reports his house is seldom locked, and he even remarked, "I suppose someday we'll be cleaned out," to which I replied, "Im sure you will." Maybe it's my Detroit upbringing, but both my houses are always locked and usually checked for security. My new home has already had security lighting installed, even though it's in a rather "lax-locking area," and my carrying habits (gun on me or near me at all times) do not waver when I am there, nor does my attention to sounds I don't recognize. It is a wilder area though, so I am up far more than usual with just the new animal sounds. When I move permanently, the new house will also have a good alarm system and security cameras, and luckily, like here, I have pretty good neighbors. I don't intend to be the victim that changes everyone's views on security in the area.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:25 AM   #58
VinnyT

Threegun, I understand. My reply more or less was a soapbox post of where society has gone. It's is a shame we need to go to these lengths to protect our loved ones. Some more than others depending on the area of course, but I am completely agree with your security layout.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:37 PM   #59
TexasJustice7

QUOTE: Colt1911:

Times (or the area) are pretty bad when you have to carry a gun in the shower ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't actually carry one in the shower, but have two on the rest of the time even at home. I don't want to get my CA 44 Spl wet, so instead, when I go to the shower, I hide all my guns except my stainless steel S&W 38 Spl, which I lay within arms reach of my shower, so should I hear a noise of someone breaking in I can grab it, although normally that is my backup carry. I figure the humidity of the shower, is not going to damage it with it being stainless steel. I hope it want anyway!
Old September 9, 2011, 07:51 PM   #60
Conn. Trooper

99% of home invasions are drug related.

That being said, a little prevention goes a long way. I lock my doors, have motion lights and a cattle dog with ears the size of pizza boxes.

And my cruiser out front
Old September 9, 2011, 08:38 PM   #61
Busyhands94

you could stick a stainless handgun close by for when you take showers, it may sound strange but i like to take my .22 Magnum NAA with me when i go to the bathroom when everyone but me is out doing something.

and i like the idea of parking a cruiser out front, that's a pretty cool idea!
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico!
Old September 9, 2011, 11:05 PM   #62
IshootThings

I don't leave my guns laying around because I don't want just anyone to be able to pick them up. They are with me when I'm in bed though. That being said, if it's the middle of the day I have two pitbulls that would make someone think twice about coming into my home uninvited. They are the sweetest dogs until you come into the house unexpected. They've scared the heck out of a friends on a couple of occasions. And I make sure to take the wife to the shooting range with me every once in a while to keep her from getting rusty with the guns and when we have kids, when they are old enough they will be taught about gun safety and how to use them.
Old September 10, 2011, 06:58 AM   #63
threegun

Quote:
Threegun, I understand. My reply more or less was a soapbox post of where society has gone. It's is a shame we need to go to these lengths to protect our loved ones. Some more than others depending on the area of course, but I am completely agree with your security layout.
Gottcha. It is a shame.
Old September 10, 2011, 08:32 AM   #64
TXGunNut

At one time the department I was with did security surveys for homes and small businesses. I learned a lot training for and doing these surveys. As mentioned a few places above weapons are a last layer of defense. We taught folks to make their homes unattractive to burglars and difficult to break into. An outer perimeter, strategic lighting, electronic measures, big noisey dogs, reduced cover and upgraded doors and windows are all good measures for reducing the likelihood of a break-in. We would talk about weapons during our surveys but our focus was more on keeping the BG's out of the home. Unless they have a good reason to break into your home they'll go down the street to an easier target.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 10, 2011, 08:13 PM   #65
FrosSsT

If 5 armed people broke into my house and I had no time to get to a weapon I would have to comply. Material things are not worth my family getting hurt
Old September 11, 2011, 03:18 AM   #66
Terminus009

At home I always have a gun within immediate reach. Always.
----- In Justice Robert H. Jackson's memorable words, "If there is any fixed star in our constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."
Old September 11, 2011, 08:56 AM   #67
threegun

Quote:
If 5 armed people broke into my house and I had no time to get to a weapon I would have to comply. Material things are not worth my family getting hurt
How do you know that simply complying will guarantee safety?

If you put some prevention measures and or barriers in place it would buy you the time to get the weapon and to the best location to offer a solid defense.
Old September 11, 2011, 09:11 AM   #68
MLeake

If you want to see another ugly story (not in CT), just look up what happened to Byrd and Melanie Billings, near Pensacola, in front of their children.

This was the case where the .... (I will NOT try go get around the language filter) .... invaders... failed to disable the security cameras, so their entry and egress was all on video.

No drugs involved, or thought to be involved, but the invaders thought the family had money in a safe.

Nice neighborhood, too.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:27 AM   #69
ripnbst

If I am watching TV in my family room and 5 armed youngens come crashing through my side door I am in real bad shape. My shotgun and handgun are in the bedroom, as I ASSUME that my house will be broken into at night.

If I am CCW'ing while I am out I am covered but I do not carry within the confines of my home.

My wife is armed when she is home alone with our HD Winchester 1200, but again its in the bedroom. She doesn't walk around with it slung over her back.

I've also got a big dog with a big bark so that helps and my house looks like every other house on my street. No big boat in the driveway or Porsche in the garage here.
Old September 11, 2011, 12:41 PM   #70
threegun

Quote:
If I am watching TV in my family room and 5 armed youngens come crashing through my side door I am in real bad shape. My shotgun and handgun are in the bedroom, as I ASSUME that my house will be broken into at night.
The key is to fortify your entry ways to prevent such an instant entry. Make the five youngens work to get in, buying you precious time to get to upgraded armament. Don't assume anything. That the extra few seconds to put the shotgun next to you if you will be there for an extended period.
Old September 11, 2011, 09:14 PM   #71
kgpcr

The question the OP asked was Would a 12ga be enough with 5 knife and gun weilding pricks. I would say yes. after you started shooting and let the air out of one or three of them the rest would scatter like cockroaches. These guys are punks looking for a soft target. When one starts shooting back they are not so brave any more.
Smith M&P 40
Old September 11, 2011, 09:48 PM   #72
MLeake

It's always a good idea to go into combat underestimating the enemy, right?

So let's just assume the bad guys will always run away...

Realistically, they usually will. The question is, what happens when they don't?

How many shells does the 12ga in question hold? Does it have a spare ammo holder of some type on it? Have you practiced speed reloads with it? Reloads on the move, while taking cover?

Do you have a backup handgun to go with it, in case you run out of ammo, or don't have the shotgun handy when the intruders enter?

In my case, the answer would be five rounds, no spare holder but six spare shells near the gun, and I'm not as fast with the shotgun as I should be, so a multiple BG encounter could go south pretty quickly. I'd rather have my AR.

YMMV.
Old September 12, 2011, 05:27 AM   #73
threegun

Quote:
The question the OP asked was Would a 12ga be enough with 5 knife and gun weilding pricks.
Short answer yes.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:36 AM   #74
MLeake

threegun, I disagree. Short answer is "maybe," for the reasons I listed above.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:16 AM   #75
MLeake

Another home invasion in GA...

This article says nothing about drugs. Items reported stolen were a computer, cash, and a gun.

The two things I find noteworthy here:

1) The intruders were waiting in the garage for the family to return, and ambushed them in the garage. Note to those with garages: Have a good locking system on your garage, not just the house; scan for people who might be waiting outside your garage, before you use your garage door opener; scan for people who might be inside the garage, before you actually pull in.

2) They tortured the wife to get the husband's compliance.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/sout...d-1172999.html