The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 15, 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
AngloSaxon

Kimber Classic Custom rear sight

I got a Kimber Classic Custom that I want to improve by changing the rear sights with fully adjustable target sights. The only sights that seem to fit the factory dovetail are Novak sights, but they don't have the fully adjustable sights for target shooting. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old June 16, 2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

sights

Dear Sir:
Probably, if you are a "Bullseye" shooter the present sights would be as good as anything - on the 1911 when we drive the sights to center, the gun hardly ever deviates in windage! The Novak real adjustable is avaliable now but is only adjustable for height!
Yes, Bo=Mar is a great sight but you hardly ever adjust an adjustable sight! The 1911 design just hits on pretty good if sights are in center of slide and Kimber is the very best 1911 out of the box!
Harry B.
Old June 16, 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
mapwd

I have a Kimber Team Match II with adjustable sights and I am pretty sure Kimber uses Bomar cut and not Novak. I love my adjustable sights. If you decide to put different sights on the Kimber SEND IT TO KIMBER! Kimber rear sights are installed to VERY tight tolerences, some gunsmiths wont even touch them. I f you try to remove them yourself you will most likely bugger up your slide pretty bad, and if it is a series II gun, the firing pin block assembly is in there and you will have spring and parts falling (flying) out.
Old June 16, 2006, 04:36 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

I'm pretty sure it's Kimber-cut

Kimber has their own "Kimber cut"; I know, I happen to have a gently used Kimber-specific MMC adjustable for sale
Old June 16, 2006, 10:15 PM   #5
RJay

I think Mr. Bonar has it right. My Kimber shoots point of aim with 230 grs. and I have never felt the need for adjustment. On my other guns both revolver and auto that have adjutabe sights, once sighted in, I have never ever readjusted the sights. I never gave that any throught untill now.