The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2013, 07:31 PM   #76
charlesc

glock 19 gen 4 issues

I found this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-eXNu2d98
Old November 19, 2013, 12:04 AM   #77
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I found this -
I know exactly what's wrong with that gun because I once fixed another shooter's pistol that had exactly the same problem. The problem is that owner didn't read the manual.

Here's the part he should have read.
"Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long-term lubrication of the slide."
If that lubricant is removed, especially from a new pistol, it should be replaced with a light grease. The ramped cam surface inside the upper, rear, right-hand side of the slide is especially critical. If that surface is thoroughly cleaned (all the grease removed) and is not relubricated, there can be enough friction between the ramp/cam and the "ear" of the connector to prevent the gun from cycling. That is particularly true if the pistol is relatively new and the surfaces haven't smoothed out from wear.

The owner of the pistol was very impressed when I took his malfunctioning pistol and restored it to perfect operation with a drop of oil. He had cleaned it with an ultrasonic cleaner and hadn't relubricated the ramp/cam inside the slide.

Please, folks. Read your manual--there's good information in there. At least read it before you resort to bending parts.
Old November 19, 2013, 01:06 PM   #78
SIMP

JohnKSa,
I never knew this until I read your post. I am one of those who skipped the manual. I thought the "rust" colored grease was just shipping/packaging grease and was to be removed when purchased.

I removed mine and it has ran fine. But I do keep my rails lubricated with a light amount of oil.

Thanks for your post as I now know to leave it on my next Glock purchase.
Old April 11, 2014, 02:38 PM   #79
Spats McGee
Staff

Spats McGee's admission

It's been just over 5 months since I originally posted this thread. I've only been back to the range a couple of times since then, due to an incredibly busy work schedule. That means that I've only shot another 150 rounds or so through the G19 since I first posted the review. When I went to the range last week, I had a variety of things to shoot, including the second G21 that I've ever shot, but that's a discussion for a diffferent day. Anyway, I only put about 3 magazines' worth through the G19 that day. Still, I haven't had so much as a hiccup since that first ammo-related FTF. I've cleaned it a couple of times, but that has seemed more like an excuse to fiddle with it than anything it really needed.

With warmer weather on the way, and more help in our office, I hope to get more range time over the summer than I've been able to get in the past 6 months or so. I'll probably update this review in another 500 or 1000 rounds, just to see how the G19 and I are getting along. I'm tempted to run it without cleaning for 500-1000 rounds, just to see how she does. I don't want to do one of those full-blown, bury-em-in-molten-chocolate torture tests, but I would like to see how well she runs dirty.

One thing that I have noticed is that the G19 has been seeing more and more time on the hip than when I first got it. In fact, I just bought two more holsters (a CBST and a Fobus paddle) for it, so that I have holsters appropriate to almost every occasion. She's not the only gun in the rotation, but she does seem to travel with me a lot.

Despite all of my protestations about not wanting to like Glocks, I guess the time has come to be honest with myself about it, and admit that I like this G19.
Old April 11, 2014, 03:31 PM   #80
TailGator

Heh, heh. Welcome to the dark side. I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have pistols that are prettier and more elegant and smoother and even feel better, but my one and only Glock (a G26) is the one that goes nearly everywhere with me.

I have to say that one of the advantages to me is that it started out kind of ugly, so I don't mind seeing wear and even a little ding or two, kind of like having an old beater pickup that you can trust to do the heavy work even if you wouldn't drive it to take your wife out to a nice restaurant.
Old April 20, 2014, 12:50 PM   #81
Spats McGee
Staff

Trouble in paradise

Well, I guess I shoulda known it was coming. I'd shot enough rounds through that G19 to feel comfortable having it in the EDC rotation, and finally had a full complement of holsters for it. I have a CBST, an OWB leather and a Fobus paddle holster. That means that there's almost no occasion on which I couldn't use the G19 for carry. I had even admitted to myself, and to the world (see above) that I like my G19. . .

Then it happened. My Glock broke. Yep! Broke. And I'm not talking about "I was doing force on force training on a skyscraper and it got kicked over the edge of the building to plummet 30 stories." No, this was something far more sedate. I'm talking "standing in my living room and a part fell off." Aren't Glocks supposed to be famous for their durability and reliability?

Well, Mrs. McGee works every other Saturday, so I often use those days to clean guns, if they need it. I decided that yesterday was just such a day, having not cleaned my guns since their last range trip. Now, bear in mind that I only put a magazine or two through the G19 at the last trip. That means that I've only got, maybe, 400 rounds through it. I've also been looking at new (to me) lubrication products and just got in a bottle of WeaponShield that I wanted to try out. I mentioned in my last big post that I was thinking about keeping it on the McGee Minimal Maintenance Program for about 500 rounds to see how she did. With the new bottle of WS in, this seemed like a perfect opportunity. So, while Mrs. McGee was a work, I got out the G19, field stripped, cleaned and lubed it, as directed.

Later in the day, I was just about to drive the Little McGee to something she had going, and pulled out the G19. I'd had it in the Fobus for most of the day, and noticed a drop of WS seeping out around the RSA plug in the slide. Naturally, I figured I'd pull the slide, do a quick wipe of any excess lube in there, and off I'd go.

Drop the mag, double-check the chamber, pull the trigger, pull down on the slide lock, and off comes the slide. Then I hear a small "thunk." I looked down and saw a small part that looked like this on the floor. I eventually figure out that it's Part #21 in this drawing. It's the slide lock. *Sigh* I put the now-disassembled G19 away, and Little McGee and I head off for her function. On the way, I call my buddy, the gunsmith. He and I discuss the matter, and he tells me that there should be a spring somewhere. An itty-bitty one. *double sigh* I send the picture of the slide lock to another buddy of mine. Buddy #2 has told me on many occasions how he's been shooting them for 20+ years and has never seen a malfunction that he didn't intentionally induce for training purposes. Naturally, his response is, "You broke a Glock?!? "

When I arrive home, I get out a flashlight and scan the floor, but my slide lock spring, to all appearances, has jumped off the pistol, into the next dimension, never to be seen again. Or so I thought. When I went to gather up the still disassembled G19, lo and behold, the slide lock spring is there, with one end stuck in between the RSA and a barrel lug.

Digging through my documents, I find out that I purchased the G19 on April 22, 2013. This event happened on April 19, 2014, a mere 3 days shy of the 1 year period for the warranty. I don't know if this is covered by the warranty, but I am at least not time-barred.

For the time being, the G19 has been removed from the EDC rotation, and we'll see how Glock's CS works out.
Old April 20, 2014, 03:14 PM   #82
JN01

Well that sucks. I can't comment on Glocks customer service personally as I have never had an issue with any of mine, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't send you out a new spring ASAP. Replacement is a very easy fix you can do yourself.
Old April 20, 2014, 06:08 PM   #83
JohnKSa
Staff

Broken slide lock springs are not unheard of, but they're unusual--especially if the spring has never been removed.

Glock should send you a new slide lock spring and I'd be very surprised if they charge you for it.
Old April 20, 2014, 06:38 PM   #84
Spats McGee
Staff

No, the spring had never been removed. Heck, if you had asked me how to remove it, I wouldn't have been able to tell you.
Old April 20, 2014, 08:20 PM   #85
AZ-Quailhunter

Had one since they came out (different ones, actually)....but TRULY the most
reliable semi I have owned....lives with me quite often
Old April 20, 2014, 11:23 PM   #86
Hunter0924

I did not want to like Glocks at all but after trying a few I hate them less enough to have a few and carry a G20.
Something about broadening and horizons.
Old April 21, 2014, 09:42 AM   #87
TailGator

Mr. McGee, I think you met Mr. Murphy.
Old April 21, 2014, 12:48 PM   #88
Spats McGee
Staff

Glock CS

Well, I called Glock CS today. The short story: They said, "Darn, that's too bad. We don't know why it happened, because your pistol has all the new parts in it. Ah, well, have an armorer call us and we'll send out new parts."

Fortunately, about a half-dozen of my friends are Glock armorers. I arranged for one of them to make the call & will advise.

I will say this for Glock CS: The person who took the call didn't quibble with me over what happened or how, nor did he hesitate in offering to send me the parts.
Old April 21, 2014, 12:56 PM   #89
SHE3PDOG

Are you having to pay for anything to get it repaired?

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 21, 2014, 01:17 PM   #90
Spats McGee
Staff

Not as far as I can tell. Glock didn't say anything about paying for parts, and my buddy will do the work for free.
Old April 21, 2014, 03:12 PM   #91
dgludwig

Quote:
Ah, well, have an armorer call us and we'll send out new parts."

Of course, the question for some of us is: What if you don't know a Glock "armorer"?
Old April 21, 2014, 06:34 PM   #92
JohnKSa
Staff

If you can convince them you are capable of installing the parts yourself, there's a good chance they'll send them to you.

Another option is to find a GSSF match near you. Take your UNLOADED and cased Glock to the match and the match armorer will look it over and replace any parts (other than slides, barrels and frames and subject to what parts he has on hand) that need replacement.
Old April 21, 2014, 11:05 PM   #93
Will Beararms

Hate to hear about your experience with the G4 19. For the past 20 years, I have gone to and from Glocks. I know the .40 caliber is useless and should not exist in the first place but I am one of those rare individuals who believes it fills a niche----capacity married with reasonable capability. I am fond of the 180 grain fodder. My first Glock was a 1994 Generation 2 Glock 22. I meandered away from it and got back into Glockhood with a Gen 3 23. Then I strayed again and came back into the fold with a Gen 4 Glock 22. I have found for me, the full-size frame configuration just works better in .40. The missus even likes it. For those instances where something smaller is called for, I'm a snub nosed revolver guy. I know they're far better options but I just like snubs. My Ruger LCR is so easy to carry IMHO.

I am originally from AR and am one of those masochists who loves to wade around in a crowded swamp called Bayou Meto when it's freezing outside chasing ducks. I am an 870 loyalist. They aren't en vogue and they won't earn you any street credit but they work and they can be abused. Rest assured that " Biff " , " Tad " and " Chip " won't be repairing to the veranda of the $20K/YR Stuttgart duck club for Brandy and Cigars to discuss their day afield with an 870 Express However, when they do break, they're easy to work on and most repairs can take place sitting on a fallen tree in underneath the flooded timber canopy.

I view Glocks as the Remington 870 of handguns. They work. They can take abuse and when they do crap out----and they will, there are only 34 parts to the thing. My bet is if you watch your armored repair the slide stop, you will be able to do it should the need arise again.

Nice chronicle and I hope it all works out. Glocks for the most part are a nice utilitarian self defense tool. Parts and accessories are ubiquitous and any competent gunsmith can work on one.

Last edited by Will Beararms; April 21, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old April 22, 2014, 02:28 PM   #94
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
Of course, the question for some of us is: What if you don't know a Glock "armorer"?
Find one and make friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Beararms
. . . .I am originally from AR and am one of those masochists who loves to wade around in a crowded swamp called Bayou Meto when it's freezing outside chasing ducks. I am an 870 loyalist. . . . .
Sir, you are singing the song of my people!

@JohnKSa -- there's not a match near my any time soon, but I'll keep an eye out for one. I think I could get the part to fit myself, but I haven't been able to convince Glock to send the part directly to me.
Old April 25, 2014, 10:42 AM   #95
Spats McGee
Staff

Very brief update

I emailed Glock on the day of malfunction so that there would be some written record of a report as soon as possible. (I was just ~3 days from the end of my warranty period, so this was important.) That was Saturday. Then I called Glock Monday morning to figure out how to proceed. Then I called them back to figure out what the part numbers were that I needed. Then, a day or two ago, Glock called me to follow up on the email. Good for them!

The parts order will go out in the mail today. (Don't ask me why my armorer/buddy doesn't fax it, but this is how he wants to do it.)

Once I get the parts in, I'll have to "re-qualify" the G19 for its spot in the carry rotation. Sadly, I'll have to go stock up on 9mm first, because some bozo broke into my car a few days ago and stole my entire range kit. No guns were taken, but there was enough ammo in my range box to make it sting.
Old April 27, 2014, 08:29 AM   #96
chadio

Sorry about the bad luck, Spats
Old April 27, 2014, 07:49 PM   #97
Spats McGee
Staff

Thanks, chadio.

I went and dug out the spring today. I thought the spring had just come out of the frame. I now think I was wrong. One end of the spring feels rough, like it broke.
Old May 11, 2014, 01:47 PM   #98
Spats McGee
Staff

Brief, disappointing update

My armorer buddy sent in the order for parts as soon as I gave it to him, by mail. That would've been April 22 or thereabouts. He still hasn't received the parts, so I called Glock on Thursday, I think it was.

Glock doesn't have the order in and said that it'd be 4-5 WEEKS from the time they get the order processed before I get the part. This is disappointing.

It's a dadgun $3 part. I guess I'll just order one. Surely, I can get one faster than that.
Old May 11, 2014, 03:00 PM   #99
dawg23

Quote:
From Spats McGee Digging through my documents, I find out that I purchased the G19 on April 22, 2013. This event happened on April 19, 2014, a mere 3 days shy of the 1 year period for the warranty. I don't know if this is covered by the warranty, but I am at least not time-barred.
Unless there has been a serious, shifting-of-the-tectonic-plates change at Glock, you have a warranty that is a lot longer than one year.

I understand that it is listed as being one year in length. In reality it has a lifetime warranty. Ask one of your armorer friends.
Old May 11, 2014, 03:07 PM   #100
Spats McGee
Staff

dawg23, I've always read & heard that Glock takes care of its customers well past one year. I hope that turns out to be true. As an attorney, though, when I read "one year warranty," I assume that they mean "1 year," and not a moment longer. I was ~3 days from the end of it, so I just tried to make sure that the company is put on notice of the problem immediately.

Tags
g19 , gen 4 , glock , glock 19 gen 4 , review