The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2010, 09:10 PM   #1
ted1a

Browning Explained

I am looking at the Browning BAR line, and having trouble finding information on the models. My main interest is .308 win, so I believe the ShortTrac is the desired family. But I am interested in knowing the difference between the LongTrac and ShortTrac. Can anyone describe the differences or post a link? I cannot find a description on the internet.

Also, what is a Boss?

Any comments on these rifles in any variant such as Safari, ShortTrac, Boss, etc.

I think I am narrowing down to .308, wood stock, 22-24 inch barrel or longer. I am interested in the BAR as this type has less recoil.

Thanks for your input.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Abel

1. The Boss is great, if you don't mind it making your rifle look like crap. In my opinion, you can obtain similar accuracy from finding the right bullet/load for your rifle. The Boss lets you tune the rifle to the load of your choosing.

2. Longtrack BARs are simply the long action calibers, the Shorttrack is the short action calibers. I like the older style, the Bar Lightweight & the Safari.

Either way, they are top of the line. You'll enjoy it.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:26 AM   #3
sourdough44

BAR fan here. I have a 243 & 308. Both are 20" barrels & the 308 is the synthetic lightweight 'Stalker' model. I like the more traditional BAR look over the new stuff. No BOSS for me, ever.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:17 AM   #4
robctwo

I have the .308 and 300WSM in the lightweight stalker model. Bought them before the newer shottrac/longtrac came out. ShortTrac shoots short cartidges, 243, 308, 300WSM. Lontrac shoots 270, 30-06 etc.

I have the BOSS on the 300WSM. It looks very nice Shoots lights out. I do not like the excessive noise from the muzzle brake feature, but do like the very reduced recoil. Recoil on the 300 with the brake was much less than the .308. I bought the CR (conventional recoil) BOSS this year. I have only shot it a bit. might put a limbsaver pad on like on the .308 if I'm going to use it much.

I like the BARs a lot. The lightweight stalker has iron sights, which are a waste for me. The shorttrac would have been my choice if it were available. The Safari is too heavy with a steel receiver for me for hunting. I would not get a heavy gun for the BOSS in .308, either for accuracy or recoil control.

Never have had an issue with reliability on either gun. Great for fast followup shots.

FN has come out with a high capacity "battle rifle" based on this action.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
ted1a

In .308, the weight difference (7lb 6oz vs 7lb 2oz) between the Lightweight Stalker and Safari is minimal, it looks like most of the difference is in the BOSS add on. (ShortTrac looks similar in weight and length also). Or are they leaving something out?

Did Browning discontinue the ShortTrac in .308? the Browning website does not
list it, but I see some online.

Does anyone have any comparison of the ShortTrac, Safari, and Lightweight? I take it the latter are an older action design.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Abel

The Boss is not standard on the Safari. It comes without it. And the weight difference is probably from the stock material & length of barrel. The short track does come in 308, in the Stalker & Oil Finish versions:

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...31&type_id=330

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...31&type_id=534
Old January 16, 2010, 10:02 PM   #7
sserdlihc

I have a Safari .308 Boss. I have always enjoyed hunting with this rifle. This rifle was purchased around 95 or 96. I bought it for what I thought was a steal at Sports Unlimited in Columbia S.C. I paid $519 for it! I knew they had made a mistake in pricing. I was looking for a .243 but all they had was the .308. Never regreted my decision in purchasing my BAR. It is a little loud but shoots like a dream.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:40 AM   #8
ted1a

Ah! I did not see the second Browning web page. they have the oil version in more calibers.

sserdlihc: if you wanted to reduce the noise, is the Boss removable? I would think so. probably by a smith, or can a novice do this?

I will look for the BAR at local stores, so I can handle one.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Abel

Quote:
probably by a smith, or can a novice do this
It has to be cut off the barrel, then the barrel has to be recrowned. Most people have this sort of work done by a smith, but a technical-mechanical minded novice with a hacksaw and recrowning tool could do it with no ill effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43odFm0mrI
Old January 17, 2010, 12:52 PM   #10
James R. Burke

A freind of mine last year bought a newer stlye 30-06 BAR for deer hunting the forend was really loose. He tryed to tighten it but go no were with it. He brought it back, and the dealer sent it in to be fixed. When it came back it was the same or maybe worse. They said that was just the way it was. The dealer was nice enough to refund his money. When he was out to differnt gun shops he picked up a few and same problem. Really surprized me I was always and still am a big Browning fan. Maybe just a bad run on a few. I have owned a few thru the years differnt calibers and bolts, autos, etc. Never had one problem they worked great, and looked great.
Old January 17, 2010, 04:51 PM   #11
sserdlihc

Quote:
sserdlihc: if you wanted to reduce the noise, is the Boss removable? I would think so. probably by a smith, or can a novice do this?
Don't know. Before I would go to all of that, I would sell it and buy one without the BOSS. I also haven't ever had to take a follow up shot
Old January 17, 2010, 07:29 PM   #12
robctwo

My Boss is removable. The whole point is that it screws in and out to tune the barrel.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Seagoing

I am also interested in buying a BAR.
Okay, not just interested - I'm going to buy one.
Here's what I have gathered so far :

Safari can be bought with or without BOSS
This is the one with the steel receiver.
About 10 or so calibers offered.
Last year there was a satin Safari version offered, but apparently no longer.
I shouldered one of these satin ones... immediate deep joy.

Stalker seems to be similar to a Safari, except with alloy receiver, iron sights, and composite stock.
I think these are all 20-inch barrels.

Short Trac is alloy receiver, made for 243, 308, and other short-action cartridges, is probably great, but apparently has a plastic trigger guard (???)

Long Trac is like the above, except made for the longer cartridges like 30-06, 270, etc.

When I say "alloy receiver" I don't mean "cheap receiver".

Pretty much everybody that owns one loves it, whichever model.

My ideal would be a Stalker in Walnut, but of course they don't make one...

I'll let you know firsthand in a year or so...

Tags
308 , bar , browning , deer rifle